• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Judeo-Christian"

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
We're all 'Christian', but would you consider yourself a "Judeo-Christian as well?
A couple of questions also..
a.Do you think the OT is necessary to your Christianity?
b.Do you like or dislike that label, "Judeo-Christian".

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
We're all 'Christian', but would you consider yourself a "Judeo-Christian as well?
Absolutely. So much of the NT makes no sense without the OT, and in the early years of the Church, all we had was the Old Testament. To abandon the OT is to abandon the ancient Church.

It implies Jewish and Christian. I would not consider myself a Judeo-Christian, as I am not a Jew. Christianity has its roots in Second Temple Judaism, but modern-day Rabbinic Judaism is not the same thing as Second Temple Judaism. Heck, Christianity is older than modern Judaism. Chew on that one.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

a. It's important to understand the beginning to better understand the journey and its end.

b. I'm neutral about it. I consider myself a non-denominational, Trinitarian. I don't always bother with a label. I know who I am.

Thana

Lady
I don't dislike the label, But I don't exactly identify with it either. And I feel the OT is very important to Christianity, And yes necessary.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Absolutely. So much of the NT makes no sense without the OT, and in the early years of the Church, all we had was the Old Testament. To abandon the OT is to abandon the ancient Church.

It implies Jewish and Christian. I would not consider myself a Judeo-Christian, as I am not a Jew. Christianity has its roots in Second Temple Judaism, but modern-day Rabbinic Judaism is not the same thing as Second Temple Judaism. Heck, Christianity is older than modern Judaism. Chew on that one.

I don't think it has to imply that that person is Jewish.......It's referencing the religion, not that someone is a Jewish Christian.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Yes. Without it, there's no NT.

No, I don't like it. Modern Judaism and Christianity have little or nothing to do with each other. The traditional Christian view is that Christianity is the fulfillment and full revelation of the ancient Israelite religion. The OT religion merely pointed towards (prefigured) the coming of Christ and His Church. What Judaism is now is rather irrelevant.

Clear

Premium Member
Hi disciple :

I actually USE the term "Judeo-Christian" a lot, but in specific contexts and mainly related to specific texts and specific beliefs.

For example:
The Old Testament is a Jewish text AND a Christian text. It is thus, a "Judeo-Christian" Text. Both religions use the text in their theology.

The New Testament is a Christian text since the Jews do not use it as a source for their theology (though they refer to it in reference to historical discussions). However, the New Testament USES Jewish texts as much of its sourcing. It is thus, a "syncretic text". It has textual ties to both religions.

Many other early sacred texts are syncretic. For example :
The Enochian Literature (e.g. 1 Enoch) starts out as a strictly "Jewish" text originating in the strict b.c. time period. It was very very popular. The Christian apostles (who were Jewish) quoted from it. The writer of New Testament Jude obviously used it as scripture and names it specifically as a source of doctrine. It is among the most popular Dead Sea Scroll texts outside of the Pentateuch and Psalms (it was the only other book found in double digit numbers in the dead sea scroll library). Later, the Christians adopted Enoch for heir usage and added text to it. So, it WAS Jewish specifically before Jesus' time. The Christians adopted it for their usage and changed it and added to it as well. Thus is became "Christian". It qualifies as a Judeo-Christian text.

Also, some doctrines ARE, similarly, shared by both religions.
The Jews believe in the 10 commandments. They are "Jewish".
The Christians also believed in the 10 commandements. They are "Christian".
They are a shared set of beliefs and are thus, "Judeo-Christian."

The usage of such terms are, I think, a bit disorienting and have unintended meaning to them that they do not have for the historian who is simply referring to certain religious mixing of texts and doctrines rather than as a term meant to dishonor or simply be a lazy term for a "abrahamic religion".

If someone says they are a member of the Baptist Church, or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (mormons); or Methodist, or Jehovahs Witness, I would personally refer to them as "Christians" who believe in some Judeo-Christian texts (Old Testament) and who have some "judeo-Christian beliefs (i.e. 10 commandments). It has no derogatory meaning for me.

Clear
τωδρφυω

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
a. The parts of the OT which prove themselves, and prove themselves useful.
b. No.. I practice a partly Jewish faith.

Adstar

The term is ok as long as one does not expand it beyond the Torah. So not book of enoch or talmud or tenach or the other jewish books.

Yes i believe the OT is necessary to help one understand many things in the NT..

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The term is ok as long as one does not expand it beyond the Torah. So not book of enoch or talmud or tenach or the other jewish books.

Yes i believe the OT is necessary to help one understand many things in the NT..
Well, sure but those things usually are found in the same explanations etc. In Judaism I believe they call the Torah and Tanach the 'Tenakh', however.
I would only call the Talmud specifically 'Jewish'. The others are Chrisitian and some other groups text as well. They are Judaic writings.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In my political science classes, I periodically used the terminology in reference to the interaction of Judaism and Christianity on western culture.