• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josphus: Jesus and John the Baptist

outhouse

Atheistically
Antipas didn't last long or do much to establish a base of political support,

He lasted long enough to build and have his people in place for the government there. Who were not typical Jews in Jesus time.

However, that doesn't mean that if one was elite, one was a Sadducee.

Understood.

I'm not. I'm saying that Hellenism as a concept is vague and misleading, that it is a continuum, and that nowhere in galilee during the early first century or just before it were there many non-Jews. Nor were there "Hellenistic Jews". There were smaller palces than Sepphoris in Judea outside of Galilee which were more hellenized.

This is where I have issues in the studies at hand. The definition of Judaism in the first century is vague in any details, to vague to claim Hellenistic Judaism wasn't present. Hellenistic Judaism was present every where! and only in some places less, like the poverty stricken peasants in Galilee often viewed as Zealots because they fought the socioeconomic situation Hellenism placed them in.

The Sadducees could be labeled as Hellenistic, as most of Jerusalem according to Martin. Judaism was also very accepting of Hellenization and accepting of Proselytes of many different levels of adherence to the laws [per the Jewish encyclopedia] Even the Pharisees used Hellenization and Roman muscle to extort tithes from the common man.

There was a division in Judaism regarding Hellenization, and unfortunately the poor did not write as much or enough for their plight to be recorded. And the Hellenist were not exactly happy that Judaism in places wasn't as flexible as they liked. Its why the movement of Christianity was so successful and Hellenist flocked to it valuing the one monotheistic deity.

And on a side note per Martin, Hellenism was much more accepted by the rich who would have wanted the best for the families. Much like how the American language and culture is taught in many places around the world because these foreign families want the best for their children

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This is where I have issues in the studies at hand. The definition of Judaism in the first century is vague in any details, to vague to claim Hellenistic Judaism wasn't present. Hellenistic Judaism was present every where! and only in some places less, like the poverty stricken peasants in Galilee often viewed as Zealots because they fought the socioeconomic situation Hellenism placed them in.

Hi......

Sanders does not think that Sepphoris was hellenistic, but he does think that Tiberias was:-

The population of Tiberias was mixed, though Jews were in a clear majority. Tiberias was built partly on a graveyard, and pious Jews were reluctant to live there, since walking over a grave resulted in corpse impurity........... ....................... The consequence was that Antipas' capital attracted Gentiles and relatively impious Jews; some were persuaded to live there only by the offer of free houses and land.
The Historical Figure of Jesus. EP Sanders, page 106.

outhouse

Atheistically
Hi......

Sanders does not think that Sepphoris was hellenistic, but he does think that Tiberias was:-

The population of Tiberias was mixed, though Jews were in a clear majority. Tiberias was built partly on a graveyard, and pious Jews were reluctant to live there, since walking over a grave resulted in corpse impurity........... ....................... The consequence was that Antipas' capital attracted Gentiles and relatively impious Jews; some were persuaded to live there only by the offer of free houses and land.
The Historical Figure of Jesus. EP Sanders, page 106.

Understood.

I read about the graveyards in Tiberias last week. There is just a huge lack of information on Sepphoris for me to change my mind. I do follow Sanders on a lot, but not everything.

There had to be some cultural divide besides money, or the gospels may have placed Jesus teaching and healing there.

Why are the gospels silent on Jesus visiting Sepphoris? I think its because they were not his type of Jews.

Rich Jews were accepting of Hellenism and the advanced culture and lifestyle it offered. Poor "real" Jews were not.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Understood.

I'm liking Sanders.....

I read about the graveyards in Tiberias last week. There is just a huge lack of information on Sepphoris for me to change my mind. I do follow Sanders on a lot, but not everything.
I'm not yet ready to question these authors, or check up on their sources. I'm using the lay 'if it reads right...........' thing...

There had to be some cultural divide besides money, or the gospels may have placed Jesus teaching and healing there.
This point (above) has to have strength. Jesus clearly did not belong anywhere near these people. They were as if 'aliens'. It could have been their greed, inhumanity towards workers, secret-societies(?), culture, class, sinecures, hypocrisies, language, race, adopted race...... what have you?

Why are the gospels silent on Jesus visiting Sepphoris? I think its because they were not his type of Jews.
As above.....

Rich Jews were accepting of Hellenism and the advanced culture and lifestyle it offered. Poor "real" Jews were not.
I do hate that word 'hellenism' now. It grates upon a nerve somewhere. But, humans are so attracted to exclusive-groups, favoured-societies, luxury-class, etc, and this Hellenism could well have been that route to the favours, luxuries, powers, sinecures, positions, acquaintances.... knowing the right people. Are you in and up..... or down and out? There was no medium.

And so I don't hold any opinion about Sepphoris, but accept that it was different, like the other cities, including the Diaspora cities. Jesus kept to the hamlets, villages and small towns, I reckon.

outhouse

Atheistically
Hellenism could well have been that route to the favours, luxuries, powers, sinecures, positions, acquaintances.... knowing the right people. Are you in and up..... or down and out? There was no medium.

I believe there was a medium though. Just not in every aspect of Judaism.

With Judaism being so wide and diverse, there was a medium in many aspects.

I think the Zealots held out though staying zealous for traditional Judaism, and those who didn't want anything to do with their oppressors lifestyle.

Its hard for me to see a Hellenistic leader who build's a Hellenistic veneer or overlay, who places his Hellenistic people in place in the local government, and then claim its Jewish based on the absence of pig bones, a small amount of pagan art when Hellenism was widespread through a very diverse Judaism with centuries of Proselytes worshipping and converting to Judaism.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I believe there was a medium though. Just not in every aspect of Judaism.

With Judaism being so wide and diverse, there was a medium in many aspects.

I think the Zealots held out though staying zealous for traditional Judaism, and those who didn't want anything to do with their oppressors lifestyle.

Its hard for me to see a Hellenistic leader who build's a Hellenistic veneer or overlay, who places his Hellenistic people in place in the local government, and then claim its Jewish based on the absence of pig bones, a small amount of pagan art when Hellenism was widespread through a very diverse Judaism with centuries of Proselytes worshipping and converting to Judaism.

Fair enough. Either way, Sepphoris seems to have been a city of people who (apart from service personnel) were beyond and above the people of the fields and waters. Even the service personnel would have considered themselves above, just as the 19th century English 'service personnel' of the great houses considered themselves 'most special'.

Jesus kept clear of all, from the look of the messages in the Gospels.

outhouse

Atheistically
Now this I will follow, and for the most part agree. from B.A.R.

How Jewish Was Sepphoris in Jesus

We do not mean to suggest that Sepphoris was totally removed from the cultural trends of larger Roman society but only to demonstrate that the first-century city's Jewish character had by no means been submerged in a sea of Hellenism. While Sepphoris's economic, social and political influence in Galilee is clear, there is no reason to characterize the city as a center of Hellenism or as a typical Greco-Roman city in the first century.

This also leaves plenty of room for a more Hellenistic Judaism that is so common in rich urban centers.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
He lasted long enough to build and have his people in place for the government there. Who were not typical Jews in Jesus time.

First, he had no real "government". He was (to use Jensen's term) a "Jewish-Herodian client ruler of the Roman Empire". Which means he had people to answer to, and one of the things he had to answer about was the state of his region. He was also put in charge (or rather, those like him were) because the Romans thought it better to place a non-Roman who had been suitably indoctrinated into Roman methods to govern their "native" regions rather than have a Roman governer do so. The point was to get the same amount of money from taxes, rule the same areas, yet have less uprisings and chaos. Therefore, people like Herod Antipas were useful only to the extent they kept the pax romana (or keeping discord within reasonable limits) and were able to get for Rome what Rome wanted (money, for the most part). Also, as has been shown more than once (as far as Herod Antipas is concerned, Herod Antipas in Galilee: The Literary and Archaeological Sources on the Reign of Herod Antipas and Its Socio-economic Impact on Galilee (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen Zum Neuen Testament) is perhaps the most thorough recent study), keeping disturbances to a limit below that necessary for greater Roman involvement was more important to Rome than taxes and tribute.

Antipas wasn't particularly connected within the Roman elite (and had been passed over by his father for a superior position). The end result (in Sanders' words) was that:

"in Jesus' Galilee, a good and able Jewish tetrarch ruled. He used Jewish troops, presumably mixed with some Idumeans (from his grandfather's native country) and probably enhanced with foreign mercenaries-as were most armies of the day. His governors and magistrates were Jews. On the whole, in Antipas' Galilee, which was Jesus' Galilee, the law was Jewish, the courts were Jewish, the education was Jewish."

Finally, "typically Jewish" means what, exactly?

This is where I have issues in the studies at hand. The definition of Judaism in the first century is vague in any details, to vague to claim Hellenistic Judaism wasn't present.

Defining Judaism is difficult because it is a vague category/concept. The same with hellenism. Yet you wish to claim something about the existence of "Hellenistic Judaism". On the one hand we have Judaism, a nebulous, fuzzy, category which is part religious, part geographic, part ethnic, part cultural, and somehow not exactly any of the above. On the other we have Hellenism, the influence of Greek which was no longer a power, a "movement" which began by an emperor who wasn't Greek, and which refers to a time period, an amalgamation of various influences to varying degrees in varying places at varying times (some of which are contradictory).

What, then, can we say about "Hellenistic Judaism"? Pretty much merely what Chancey does, which is to say that "all Judaism was Hellenistic Judaism" because first and foremost we have interaction between Greeks and Jewish populations in places like Galilee over 1000 years before Jesus was born followed by the (much later) conquest of the whole region by the Greeks.

On the one hand, we have those few like Philo, steeped in Jewish thought and tradition. We also have many Jews who eschewed "gentile" practice and kept Jewish tradition but did not know Hebrew or Aramaic (hence the Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures). On the other hand, we have places like Galilee, which had few urban centers and even those were new, which was populated by Jews, which had almost no signs (even in urban centers) of a significant gentile influence or population, which spoke semitic tongues rather than greek, which had Antipas as a governer who kept the peace by making friends, by not exerting his power (for example, unlike his father and Pilate, he refused to issue new coinage which featured icons or other imagery so as not to offend the Jewish people even though issuing such coins was not only his right, but a customary sign of "who's in charge").

It was a region that was literally as far from hellenistic as possible.

Hellenistic Judaism was present every where!
Define "Hellenistic Judaism".

There was a division in Judaism regarding Hellenization
There wasn't. There was no concept "hellenization" for there to be a division over.

And the Hellenist were not exactly happy that Judaism in places wasn't as flexible as they liked.
Where are these "hellenists" and what evidence do we have of them?

Its why the movement of Christianity was so successful and Hellenist flocked to it valuing the one monotheistic deity.

So, your theory is that "Hellenism", the influence of Greek culture (or, if you prefer, Greco-Roman), which was polytheistic and had been so for as long as they had been around, and which regarded Jewish monotheism as strange, and which later accused the monotheistic Christians of being "atheists" because they did not have "gods", was the key to Christianity's success? Hellenism isn't monotheistic. Hellenistic culture persecuted monotheistic belief. Jewish culture persecuted early Christian belief. What part of "hellenism" contributed to Christian expansion?

And on a side note per Martin
Martin? You mean Martin Hengel? If you use only first names, it's hard to to tell who you are talking about. Also, it would be nice to know where whomever you are citing says whatever it is that you are using.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Now this I will follow, and for the most part agree. from B.A.R.

How Jewish Was Sepphoris in Jesus

We do not mean to suggest that Sepphoris was totally removed from the cultural trends of larger Roman society but only to demonstrate that the first-century city's Jewish character had by no means been submerged in a sea of Hellenism. While Sepphoris's economic, social and political influence in Galilee is clear, there is no reason to characterize the city as a center of Hellenism or as a typical Greco-Roman city in the first century.

This also leaves plenty of room for a more Hellenistic Judaism that is so common in rich urban centers.

So this is a 'U' turn for you, it seems? This states that Sepphoris was mainly, predominantly Jewish during the life of Jesus. Are you 'OK' with this? If so, great!

outhouse

Atheistically
So this is a 'U' turn for you, it seems? This states that Sepphoris was mainly, predominantly Jewish during the life of Jesus. Are you 'OK' with this? If so, great!

Its not a uturn because it still does not define the Jews I view as different from the Jewishness of Jesus.

It does not fully address Hellenistic Judaism, as much as it does Hellenistic Gentiles.

It does not remove Hellenism. It states it wasnt fully Hellenistic.

outhouse

Atheistically
First, he had no real "government". He was (to use Jensen's term) a "Jewish-Herodian client ruler of the Roman Empire". Which means he had people to answer to, and one of the things he had to answer about was the state of his region. He was also put in charge (or rather, those like him were) because the Romans thought it better to place a non-Roman who had been suitably indoctrinated into Roman methods to govern their "native" regions rather than have a Roman governer do so. The point was to get the same amount of money from taxes, rule the same areas, yet have less uprisings and chaos. Therefore, people like Herod Antipas were useful only to the extent they kept the pax romana (or keeping discord within reasonable limits) and were able to get for Rome what Rome wanted (money, for the most part). Also, as has been shown more than once (as far as Herod Antipas is concerned, Herod Antipas in Galilee: The Literary and Archaeological Sources on the Reign of Herod Antipas and Its Socio-economic Impact on Galilee (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen Zum Neuen Testament) is perhaps the most thorough recent study), keeping disturbances to a limit below that necessary for greater Roman involvement was more important to Rome than taxes and tribute.

Antipas wasn't particularly connected within the Roman elite (and had been passed over by his father for a superior position). The end result (in Sanders' words) was that:

"in Jesus' Galilee, a good and able Jewish tetrarch ruled. He used Jewish troops, presumably mixed with some Idumeans (from his grandfather's native country) and probably enhanced with foreign mercenaries-as were most armies of the day. His governors and magistrates were Jews. On the whole, in Antipas' Galilee, which was Jesus' Galilee, the law was Jewish, the courts were Jewish, the education was Jewish."

Nice speech, but it didn't address a thing a stated about Antipas placing his people in power in Sepphoris after he rebuilt it to honor the Romans that were the enemies of real Jews.

Antipas played the Jewish card fully! to extort as much money from these people as possible.

These people extorting money from the average peasant were his people, and placed in the lap of luxury in Sepphoris. Antipas was Hellenistic, and he used Hellenistic Jews to do his bidding against the common hard working Jew.

Finally, "typically Jewish" means what, exactly?

Now that is a question that requires a book to describe fully.

Condensed version acceptable?

Religion is a big part of it.

Wide diversity of thought and belief of how to worship the one monotheistic god between different philosophies and different cultures living in a occupied land, with diverse adherence to the laws laid before, much of which was based solely on different geographic locations. A religion that opened itself up to Hellenism and Proselytes of all flavors, in Israel and in the Diaspora.

"Typically"
Would describe the common hardworking poor man, born and raised from generations of Israelites who were zealous to the law and traditional customs handed down through generations, before Hellenization evolved to its current state influencing all Jews, including these, only less then those who were more accepting.

The key word is less money and adopted less Hellenism over the centuries.

Defining Judaism is difficult because it is a vague category/concept. The same with Hellenism.

Agreed

Yet you wish to claim something about the existence of "Hellenistic Judaism".

Spoken like a Pharisee ;)

"all Judaism was Hellenistic Judaism"

Ding, ding, we have a winner.

which had Antipas as a governer who kept the peace by making friends,

I cant tell if your being funny, but this is rather amusing that you could state this with a straight face.

Said to have Murdered JtB after adultery, and turns Jesus over to Pilate. Whom you claim is famous.

Started a war that was only stopped by his death

Herod conquered his kingdom with Roman muscle and troops, the very enemy of real Jews, and you want to claim just because his son Antipas took over, Jews wanted to open their arms and give him a big sloppy kiss?

Romans leveled Sepphoris in their recent memory, butchering many Jews and selling others Jews off to slavery in that exact part of Galilee.

Antipas worked hand in hand with the Romans who kept him there to do one thing and one thing only, extort as much money from peasants as possible.

He was the Romans front man in Galilee, and the direct hand who oppressed these poverty stricken peasants. Because he worked under a label of "Jewish king" being one of Romans client kings was not negated.

He knew like his father there was only so much Hellenism Judaism could bear while extorting as much money as possible.

And money flow would be the key phrase to why Herod and Antipas id not completely Hellenize Galilee, it had nothing to do with "friends" or passion towards Judaism.

It was a region that was literally as far from hellenistic as possible.

Only within the hearts of the poor Galilean Jews often viewed as Zealots.

While Antipas kept the veneer of Hellenism, he was fully Hellensic, and his people were who ruled Sepphoris and lived in luxury under the veneer of Judaism.

The economic divide between the haves and have not's, amounted to Hellenistic Judaism having in Sepphoris, not the absence as Chancey states.

We do not mean to suggest that Sepphoris was totally removed from the cultural trends of larger Roman society

While Sepphoris's economic, social and political influence in Galilee is clear,

And this is all I am trying to say.

There wasn't. There was no concept "hellenization" for there to be a division over.

Tell that to the poor Jews being oppressed, and then listen for their answer, not mine.

They will tell you it was a socioeconomic divide of those who held hands with their oppressors.

was the key to Christianity's success? Hellenism isn't monotheistic. Hellenistic culture persecuted monotheistic belief. Jewish culture persecuted early Christian belief. What part of "hellenism" contributed to Christian expansion?

This one of the poorest statement's I've ever seen you make, and you know I look up to you.

Why do many scholars claim the movement of Christianity absorbed Hellenistic Judaism?

When the movement branched away from Judaism from the get go! it did so due because Hellenism branched away from Judaism.

The Proselytes who had worshipped Judaism for centuries which we can classify as Hellenistic Proselytes, did not want to convert to Judaism when they could worship the one powerful god they had been worshipping, under the movement of the "son of god" Every book of the bible was written by Hellenistic authors starting with Paul, and all the rest, with Gmatthews book having more adherence to laws, but still had evolved away from Judaism using Gmarks Roman core.

Hellenistic Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The opening verse of Acts 6 points to the problematic cultural divisions between Hellenized Jews and Aramaic-speaking Israelites in Jerusalem, a disunion that reverberated within the emerging Christian community itself: “it speaks of "Hellenists" and "Hebrews. "

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nice speech, but it didn't address a thing a stated about Antipas placing his people in power in Sepphoris after he rebuilt it to honor the Romans that were the enemies of real Jews.

That's because there's no evidence he did. On the one hand, we have scholarly depictions of Herod Antipas as lazy and having little effect: "Antipas was far less active of a ruler than his father and Agrippa I. His building projects were comparatively modest and it appears that his monetary policies had little impact on the region's economy."
From Root's From Antipas to Agrippa II: Galilee in the first-century CE.

The entirety of Herod Antipas in Galilee: The Literary and Archaeological Sources on the Reign of Herod Antipas and Its Socio-economic Impact on Galilee is devoted to showing that at best Root and those like him are correct, and at worst they are wrong because Herod was a benefit for the Jewish population and helped.

On the other hand we have scholars who believe Herod Antipas to be almost a Jewish hero: "In the first century C.E., Herod Philip, son of Herod the Great, had little difficulty placing images on his coins in Gaulanitis. But Herod Antipas of Galilee, whose territory was more extensively Jewish, had no images on his coins. This expression of Jewish identity stood in sharp contrast to general practice throughout the Roman Empire. Did this stress Jewish identity? Without question. Understood within the general cultural framework of Roman power, it was a form of resistance against the pressures of Roman power." from Richardson's Building Jewish in the Roman East (Supplements to the Journal for the Study of Judaism).

What we do not find is evidence of a Herod Antipas who went out to Sepphoris, built a city to please himself and/or the Romans, and offended all the Jewish population. Or an Antipas who put his own people in Sepphoris or in Galilee at all.

Antipas played the Jewish card fully! to extort as much money from these people as possible.
What money? By building up Sepphoris as much as he did, he spent money. And the Romans didn't care about Galilee's taxation anywhere near as much as they did the relative lack of conflict there. You can't have it both ways. Either this is a Hellenistic dream with lots of money, in which case the poor couldn't care less about taxes as Rome would only have eyes for places like Sepphoris where there was money, or there wasn't money, in which case the Romans cared about containing potential disturbances.

These people extorting money from the average peasant were his people
And your evidence for this is...?

and placed in the lap of luxury in Sepphoris.
A city now almost universally believed to be practically without hellenistic influence. It is (as Reed says) the scholarly consensus that Herod Antipas barely introduced any hellenistic influence at all and that the city of Sepphoris and Galilee as a whole was Jewish, not "hellenistic Jewish" (a term introduced over a century ago and has been thoroughly criticized since).

Antipas was Hellenistic, and he used Hellenistic Jews to do his bidding against the common hard working Jew.

Let's get this out of the way. First, your wiki link:

It starts "Hellenistic Judaism was a movement which existed in the Jewish diaspora that sought to establish a Hebraic-Jewish religious tradition within the European culture and language of Hellenism after the eastern conquests of Alexander the Great."

The "diaspora" would mean places outside of Galilee (indeed, outside all Israel). It means places like Alexandria and Rome. Thus, it is utterly irrelevent.

Even better, entire studies like Collins' monograph Between Athens and Jerusalem- Jewish Identity in Hellenistic Diaspora have delved into the nature of Hellenistic Judaism (i.e., Jewish people living in places like Rome, outside of their homeland). And even here, we find that there is no "simple normative definition which determined Jewish identity". And this is the actual "Hellenistic Judaism" (Jewish people living in non-Jewish regions), not one of the most entirely, completely Jewish regions in the Roman empire, as devoid of Hellenistic influence as was just about possible. So if you insist on refering to "Hellenistic Judaism", then at least learn the background of the term and the notion and how it progressed (into either disuse or mostly meaningless) from the 19th century to today's scholarship.

Now that is a question that requires a book to describe fully.

Yes, and several have been written on the question of identity in the first century (and in the biblical world in general). The 2007 volume Jewish Identity in the Greco-Roman World/Jüdische Identität in der griechisch-römischen Welt specifically addresses this question in the context of Judaism in the Roman empire. When talking about Galilee in terms of Hellenization and Antipas, you should probably read "Der Kaiserkult in Judäa unter herodischer und römischer Herrschaft: Zu Herausbildung und Herausforderung neuer Konzepte jüdischer Herrschaftslegitimation" for some contrast, but the entire volume would be useful for answering questions about hellenism and judaism.

Religion is a big part of it.

Religion is a much more modern notion. Atheism in that time could mean belief in only one god.

Ding, ding, we have a winner.

Then you missed the point. It means that your distinction is meaningless. That your dichotomy between "judaism" and "hellenistic judaism" is a fiction." That your poor Gentile peasant contrasted with your hellenized citizien of sepphoris is imaginary. There is no evidence for it, and it is born out of 19th century understandings that have long been swept away.

I cant tell if your being funny, but this is rather amusing that you could state this with a straight face.

It's rather amusing that you can say anything at all about this when you quote the introduction to Chancey's monograph and call it an "article", cite Reed when his publications over a decade now have made it clear he thoroughly disagrees with you, cite Strange who thinks that your economic model is the opposite of reality, and most of all rely on wikipedia for your information and then can't actually get that right either.

If you find it amusing, then try actual researching questions first before judging how ridiculous a statement appears.

Romans leveled Sepphoris in their recent memory, butchering many Jews and selling others Jews off to slavery in that exact part of Galilee.
And who built it up, yet didn't mint coins with his image, didn't imprint his face everywhere, didn't build roman worship centers, or any of the things which would indicate he is the villain you talk about?

Why do many scholars claim the movement of Christianity absorbed Hellenistic Judaism?

What do you know about what "many scholars" say?

This one of the poorest statement's I've ever seen you make, and you know I look up to you.
I look up to intellectual honesty and academic integrity. I don't care if someone doesn't know what they are talking about, because there are an infinite number of things we all don't know about. What I care about is when people talk about things they don't know and do so as if they did. When you ask honest questions and you listen to answers and you try to learn, that is something I respect, whether it is you personally or anybody. When anyone makes statements about things they don't know about, and then instead of acknowledging that they don't really know as much they thought, they continue to hammer away at an argument which is not only problematic at its core, but utilizes an entire framework (concepts, ideas, terminology, semantics, etc.,) that is dated and at best inadequate, that is something which upsets me. I spend a great deal of time, effort, and moeny trying to understand the things that I wish to know about. It doesn't bother me if I don't know something, and it doesn't offend me if someone shows that they don't know what they are talking about. But it bothers me when there are those who will insist that they know more than they do and against all evidence to the contrary.

The opening verse of Acts 6 points to the problematic cultural divisions between Hellenized Jews and Aramaic-speaking Israelites in Jerusalem, a disunion that reverberated within the emerging Christian community itself: “it speaks of "Hellenists" and "Hebrews. "

Which means first and foremost only a Jewish individual who spoke Greek, and secondly somebody from outside of native Jewish regions. A diaspora member. Which isn't someone from Sepphoris. And that's without getting into the numerous problems trying to understand Hellenism during or near the time of the Temple's destruction and reading it back into the reign of Herod Antipas.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Its not a uturn because it still does not define the Jews I view as different from the Jewishness of Jesus.

It does not fully address Hellenistic Judaism, as much as it does Hellenistic Gentiles.

It does not remove Hellenism. It states it wasnt fully Hellenistic.

Cool...... no prob....

OK....new line of thought.
The Main Objective as I see it is all about discovery of 'historical Jesus'.
I believe that he thought of, guided, healed, supported his own. I believe that his own were the working-class people, peasants and below.
Ergo, for safety, and because they were not 'his', he did not go to the cities, or the rich, or powerful..... a few might have come to him.
And so, to focus upon the nature, religion, culture, politics of the rich and powerful only assists us in our quest occasionally, in some situations where their actions and opinions and judgements affected Jesus.
And so, I still have difficulty in understanding why there would need to be so much debate about these super-classes. Occasionally it will assist, but generally it is surely a lure to entrap the focus and lead the student off..... to where?

outhouse

Atheistically
Cool...... no prob....

OK....new line of thought.
The Main Objective as I see it is all about discovery of 'historical Jesus'.
I believe that he thought of, guided, healed, supported his own. I believe that his own were the working-class people, peasants and below.
Ergo, for safety, and because they were not 'his', he did not go to the cities, or the rich, or powerful..... a few might have come to him.
And so, to focus upon the nature, religion, culture, politics of the rich and powerful only assists us in our quest occasionally, in some situations where their actions and opinions and judgements affected Jesus.
And so, I still have difficulty in understanding why there would need to be so much debate about these super-classes. Occasionally it will assist, but generally it is surely a lure to entrap the focus and lead the student off..... to where?

Because it was these people who more or less were Jesus enemies, they were who he was fighting against, creating a movement that didnt ignore the common man. Fighting those who worked hand in hand profitting from oppression.

Without knowing Jesus social enviroment we cannot determine what he was really teaching. Or should I say, shining a little light on dark areas of what we dont know.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Because it was these people who more or less were Jesus enemies, they were who he was fighting against, creating a movement that didnt ignore the common man. Fighting those who worked hand in hand profitting from oppression.

Without knowing Jesus social enviroment we cannot determine what he was really teaching. Or should I say, shining a little light on dark areas of what we dont know.

Hi....

I thought we had this figured. He was not fighting against anybody........! That's the brilliance of his 'technique' or whatever.

These people were, mostly, unaware of Jesus. Jesus was not telling his own to do anything against anybody but rather to do things for themselves.
Love each other. Don't fight each other. Clear up your squabbles fast. Be together! Deal in kind. Look after each other. Don't make enemies. Stop finding reasons to hate (various) people (the samaritan). et al.

Oh sure, they, (the priesthood, who ruled everything) would soon go looking for Jesus, as they did for others who caused them any risk.

That's a point......... why did bloody Pilate mix Galileans' blood with their sacrifices when he was not involved with Galilee? Surely the priesthood would have sorted those particular Galileans....... or were they in Judea when they got ........... oh..... hang on..... Nobody was supposed to make sacrifices anywhere but the Temple. Ah.... I had these Galileans at a Lakeside barbeque when all that happened. Heh! What do you think of that?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
...to understanding the historical Jesus. Christian or Muslim or Atheist or Agnostic, history is history, and thus understanding the historical Jesus means historical explanations for the sources we have. The sources we have make clear a few things: where Jesus lived, that at some point later in his life he became known as a person who taught, prophesized, had followers, performed what were perceived as miracles, and who was executed.

Almost everybody (and by everybody I mean by scholars who have delved into this topic) agrees he was executed by the Romans but at the behest of certain elements within the Jewish elite. Before historical studies existed, and for much of the time they did (especially in Germany in the 30s) this execution by Jewish authorities was emphasized and is responsible for centuries of anti-Semitism. After the Holocaust, for understandable reasons this Jewish involvement in Jesus' execution was downplayed or outright denied. That's now changed, but one lesson learned was to be careful about understanding the socio-cultural dynamics, the nature of Socioeconomic status (SES) for individuals belonging to different groups of different types (e.g., Jewish peasant vs. Roman soldier vs. Jewish priest vs. Jewish sectarian member), and similar things

Anti-Semitism is not the reason this is important, though (it is one motivation to be careful, and a serious one). The reason is that among the few things we know for certain is that Jesus was executed.

This was a time when people were killed on the spot without repercussions at times, a time when it wasn't exactly clear who had what authority to do what and when and to whom, but like all of human history, rarely are people killed without reason (even if the reason is over an insult or a card game). As for execution, while one can believe it is always without "cause" (i.e., there is no good reason and capital punishment is wrong), there is always a cause.

Paul (who was alive while Jesus was alive) is the first to tell us that Jesus was executed. And all other sources agree. Moreover, this execution is not a simple matter but a prolonged and involved affair. Jesus was quite likely handed over by certain of the Jewish elite to the Roman elite (Pilate), and despite much embellishment (Pilate's reluctance and general depiction in the gospel passion narratives) it is likely that Jesus' execution was not a simple cut-and-dried matter the way it would be for a murderer or a bandit. Jesus was executed for his activity (most believe one activity in particular crossed the line).

All of this means that understanding what Jesus' message was, and what his "missionary" activity involved, is intimately related to the dynamics of 1st century Galilee and Jerusalem as well as the Roman empire. Was Jesus executed (per Horsely) because his message was at its core a political one against Rome and those he saw as agents of Roman imperialism (namely, the high priests)? Was it (per Schweitzer and more recently Ehrman) because his message was eschatalogical and he sought to bring about the kindgom of god on earth and therefore the restoration of Isreal through the works/power of YHWH? Was it because he had too much influence and his activity in the temple (the center of Judaism in many ways, as well as the center of power for many of the Jewish elite) crossed the line?

J. D. Crossan in particular is one reason it is so important to take into account Jesus' execution. In his works, we find an egalitarian Jewish cynic (cynic being a Greco-Roman philosophical movement). It's very difficult to explain why such an individual would end up executed. The same is true for those who would paint Jesus as a gnostic of the type represented in texts dating from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th centuries. Such a Jesus would be basically pagan, and perhaps a problem for other Jews in Galilee, but not likely to be executed by Romans or gain any following in the region which had the single highest ration of Jews to Gentiles anywhere.

If Galilee during Jesus' day suffered more than usual from political and economic turmoil, it makes more sense that speaking out against this would be central to Jesus' message. This in turn makes it more likely that his execution was mainly due to his denouncing of Roman occupation.

If Galilee during Jesus' day was more or less what one would expect of any primarily agrarian culture of that time, where villages have a particular standard of living and a particular social structure compared to urban centers, then the above explanation makes less sense. However, if the economic situation was normal, but a disparity existed between the very hellenized nature of the urban centers of Galilee vs. the villages, then Jesus may have incurred the wrath of the elite because he
1) stirred up villagers against the centers of power (both Jewish and Roman, which in this situation would be closely aligned)
2) denounced the practices (both the lack of traditional practices and the adoption of new ones which were Greco-Roman or at least influenced by Greco-Roman culture)

On the other hand, if Jewish practice and belief in general consisted of various divisions and interpretations, such as the pharisees and probably a more general belief in an "oral torah" which existed in opposition to the views of the priests (again, the elite) for whom the torah was only the five books of Moses, then Roman occupation and the influence of Greco-Roman culture need not be a factor at all. Tensions within Jewish regions between Jewish strands and how the general Jewish population viewed these different strands becomes central. Additionally, the Temple was supposed to be governed by a certain family line, and at this time it was not. This seems to have been a very big issue for many Jews and is perhaps the reason the Qumran sect left to form their own "purer" Judaism away from temple corruption. People like Herod Antipas and Pilate were mainly there to ensure that things didn't get out of hand. If the situation among Jewish groups (and in particular between a more general population and the minority elite priesthood) were contentious, then challenges by an individual like Jesus with influence would be serious.

If Jesus saw himself as a or the messiah (the issue of what messiah and messianic expectations were during this time are still a matter of debate), and believed his job was to restore the nation of Israel and to be its leader ("the king of the Jews", the message supposedly placed on the cross and a reason given in the gospels for Jesus' execution), then this would be an offense to many Jewish groups (not just the elite) and a problem for the representatives of Rome there to make sure uprisings didn't happen.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
...to understanding the historical Jesus. The sources we have make clear a few things: where Jesus lived, that at some point later in his life he became known as a person who taught, prophesized, had followers, performed what were perceived as miracles, and who was executed.
I have needed to reduce your quotes and my answers............
Yes. OK. The majority of reports were made by groups other than Jesus' own. So we do need its culture etc, which could help investigation. But all this did not affect Jesus' actions. He did what he did. So whether Sepphoris was populated with 'Jewish', 'Hellenic Jewish', 'Hellenic', etc.....Jesus avoided it and its people.

Before historical studies existed, (especially in Germany in the 30s) this execution by Jewish authorities was emphasized and is responsible for centuries of anti-Semitism. After the Holocaust, for understandable reasons this Jewish involvement in Jesus' execution was downplayed or outright denied. That's now changed, but one lesson learned was to be careful...............
Yes..... the spin-doctors did everything to turn a disgruntled nation's people into a murderous, psychotic mob. History repeats........is full of examples where people doing bad things wanted to still feel holy. One example from many is the rich christian slave trader, comfortable because of biblical accounts of Cain and Abel.
I notice that the few scholars which I have read treat Jesus's miracles as a taboo area, and distract the reader with accounts of other people's miracles in order to adjust reader mindset without starting a furore.

This was a time when people were killed on the spot without repercussions at times, a time when it wasn't exactly clear who had what authority to do what and when and to whom, but like all of human history, rarely are people killed without reason (even if the reason is over an insult or a card game). As for execution, while one can believe it is always without "cause" (i.e., there is no good reason and capital punishment is wrong), there is always a cause.
Yes.......... I don't think that there is too much disagreement about why or how Jesus was executed.

Paul (who was alive while Jesus was alive) is the first to tell us that Jesus was executed. Jesus was quite likely handed over by certain of the Jewish elite to the Roman elite (Pilate), and despite much embellishment (Pilate's reluctance and general depiction in the gospel passion narratives) it is likely that Jesus' execution was not a simple cut-and-dried matter the way it would be for a murderer or a bandit. Jesus was executed for his activity (most believe one activity in particular crossed the line).
Yes to all....... Paul being first to report this is a new angle for me. Thankyou. I feel that the detention, Jewish 'hearing', verdict, sentence, interview with Pilate, flogging, appeal and execution read as plausible. Outhouse's 'quick kill and in a pit' proposition died when he himself began to build a bigger event for more people to be aware of.

All of this means that understanding what Jesus' message was, and what his "missionary" activity involved, is intimately related to the dynamics of 1st century Galilee and Jerusalem as well as the Roman empire.
Only the final reports hinge upon the above......
But the simple fact of a super-class running double standards was quite enough for Jesus to support his own! We need to know more about Jesus's own. The true Jews were the common people, and they kept to the laws, like travelling all the way to the Temple to make sacrifice. Maybe the Galileans whose blood Pilate mixed with their sacrifices had cheated on this rule.......?

Was Jesus executed (per Horsely)................? Was it (per Schweitzer and more recently Ehrman) ............? Was it because he had too much influence and his activity in the temple (the center of Judaism in many ways, as well as the center of power for many of the Jewish elite) crossed the line?
I like the last one, the simple one. Josephus reported a simple reason for John-Baptist's arrest and execution. Apply that to Jesus. Too popular, made the priests looklike villains and caused a rumpus in the Temple. Done.

J. D. Crossan in particular is one reason it is so important to take into account Jesus' execution. In his works, we find an egalitarian Jewish cynic (cynic being a Greco-Roman philosophical movement). It's very difficult to explain why such an individual would end up executed.
Stoic maybe. Not Cynic. J Crosson seems to be so into his own intellectual world that he has become myopic to the most plausible possibilities.

If Galilee during Jesus' day suffered more than usual from political and economic turmoil, it makes more sense that speaking out against this would be central to Jesus' message. This in turn makes it more likely that his execution was mainly due to his denouncing of Roman occupation.
There was no Roman occupation of Galilee. It was affected by Roman control, but the super-class was milking Galilee and robbing it for Roman Tribute. The super-class were a bunch of bums (literally meant) and Jesus was helping his own to cope with life as it was. He was not actively engaged against the super-class. There are no reports of Jesus saying 'I know, let's go and burn something down!'.

If Galilee during Jesus' day was more or less what one would expect ........................However, if the economic situation was normal, but a disparity existed between the very hellenized nature of the urban centers of Galilee vs. the villages, then Jesus may have incurred the wrath of the elite because he
1) stirred up villagers against the centers of power (both Jewish and Roman, which in this situation would be closely aligned)
2) denounced the practices (both the lack of traditional practices and the adoption of new ones which were Greco-Roman or at least influenced by Greco-Roman culture)
Well....he might have on occasion have voiced what he thought, but it still makes little difference whether the super-class was hellenistic, 100% Jewish, Roman or anything else.
I don't think Jesus stirred up the people. I think he guided them into survival techniques. Well..... that is what the Gospels tell us. Again, Look at the Baptist........ he just got popular....... taken far away to the south, dead, over.

.................................................. the Qumran sect left to form their own "purer" Judaism away from temple corruption. People like Herod Antipas and Pilate were mainly there to ensure that things didn't get out of hand. If the situation among Jewish groups (and in particular between a more general population and the minority elite priesthood) were contentious, then challenges by an individual like Jesus with influence would be serious.
Qumran sect...... thankyou.

If Jesus saw himself as a or the messiah (the issue of what messiah and messianic expectations were during this time are still a matter of debate), and believed his job was to restore the nation of Israel and to be its leader ("the king of the Jews", the message supposedly placed on the cross and a reason given in the gospels for Jesus' execution), then this would be an offense to many Jewish groups (not just the elite) and a problem for the representatives of Rome there to make sure uprisings didn't happen.
Maybe Jesus's fame pushed him on, further than he had intended.
Started by doing what came naturally to him, the breeze builds to a dust-devil, to a whirlwind, to tornado to destruction...?
Look how fame sends people mad today.

Thanks for the above........ you've got me thinking again

outhouse

Atheistically
Hi....

I thought we had this figured. He was not fighting against anybody........! That's the brilliance of his 'technique' or whatever.

Fighting doesn't mean picking up a sword.

He was trying to change the pattern of money flow peacefully, that would effect his oppressors.

He "was" fighting with peace, but lost his cool and violence got the better of him.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Fighting doesn't mean picking up a sword.

He was trying to change the pattern of money flow peacefully, that would effect his oppressors.

He "was" fighting with peace, but lost his cool and violence got the better of him.

Hi.....! OK......

I can't wait......! I've just been reading the most brilliant paragraphs that I have read since I began to study 'historic Jesus'.

Before now, I have written an introduction about hysteria and how the right charisma or 'X-factor' can have such remarkable affect upon a sufferer. I have explained hysterical blindness, strokes, convulsions and more, and have wondered why nobody has researched this through contact with the very few psychologists and psychiatrists who might know anything about it.
This just all clicked into place. Sanders has found it, but obviously never met with anybody who knew enough about it to really impact it onto his conscious. I am one of the few people who have had contact, through very close acqaintance with a sufferer of hysteria over two decades.
But he got far enough. Read this. E P Sanders. THe Historical Figure of Jesus. Page 158, reference explanations for Jesus's healing.:-
More or less all the healings are explicable as psychosomatic cures or victories of mind over matter. Instances of illness that are 'hysterical' or psychomsomatic are well known and documented. This explanation, if applied to miracles in the gospels, covers exorcism and the healing of the blind, the deaf and dumb, the paralysed,and possibly the woman with a haemorrhage.
Some have attempted to extend this explanation to the story of the Gerasene 'demoniac', that is, he brought him back to his right mind. The man went into convulsions, whch alarmed and panicked the swine, who charged over the cliff.

I am bloody stunned! What Sanders could not have known is that a full hysteric convulsion has four stages, and the second stage is usually accompanied by a high pitched whining scream which just terrifies everybody nearby, soon followed by physical convulsion which can wipe out (say) a room. The ultra-sound whine could possible panic a heard of swine.