• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joseph Campbell

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What do you suppose Joseph Campbell will be most remembered for in 50 years time? What's his main contribution?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What do you suppose Joseph Campbell will be most remembered for in 50 years time? What's his main contribution?

He directly contributed a lot to George Lucas when he was working out the story of Star Wars. :D (though maybe you meant besides that)

I only read the first part of A Hero With A Thousand Faces, but I'd have to say his biggest contribution(besides the afore mentioned) would be the afore mentioned book and the ideas it presented.

I can say, for a storyteller/artist such as myself, Joseph Campbell is pretty much a prophet.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I would have to say that for me it is his influence with the Star Wars stories that I will remember about him.
I was so shocked when I found it out.

However, it seems to me that there are not a whole lot of people who know this, so I am going to say that he will likely be most remembered for his "Follow Your Bliss" philosophy.

Harmony

I come in peace
I agree with Riverwolf and Mestemia on the Star Wars. I am not a can soup person so I can't agree with Nehustan. :p

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I think his main contribution is in making mythology readable, acceptable and understood to a larger part of the population. Particularly where it was only understood by scholars before, it now has a much wider audience.

Nehustan

To be serious for a moment, I suppose he will be remembered for ideas surrounding archetypes/structure within myths/narratives as applicable. To be honest I think Jung, Levi Strauss, et al. might outlive him. I know I might annoy people with my next comment, and I actually have enjoyed my looks at his work, but he is really a pop anthropologist, so I guess as long as people enjoy bubblegum, he'll enjoy similar longevity...

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
To be serious for a moment, I suppose he will be remembered for ideas surrounding archetypes/structure within myths/narratives as applicable. To be honest I think Jung, Levi Strauss, et al. might outlive him. I know I might annoy people with my next comment, and I actually have enjoyed my looks at his work, but he is really a pop anthropologist, so I guess as long as people enjoy bubblegum, he'll enjoy similar longevity...

Well, if you think about it, most people don't understand scholarly works, so bubblegum is our only way into this kind of thing. Besides, as I said, if you're a creative person, his works are a goldmine.

Nehustan

I can't recall which book it was in, I think it may have been Imajica by Clive Barker, but he says that there are really only so many stories to be told, just reweaved over and over again. I guess if you accept that premise it actually frees the creative process rather than limiting it as one might think.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think he'll be remembered for how patient he was with Bill Moyer (who obviously didn't have a clue what Campbell was talking about most of the time) during all those interviews.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I can't recall which book it was in, I think it may have been Imajica by Clive Barker, but he says that there are really only so many stories to be told, just reweaved over and over again. I guess if you accept that premise it actually frees the creative process rather than limiting it as one might think.

As an aspiring writer (although I use that term extremely loosely), I have to agree. There are only so many stories to tell. It seems to me that that is why we tend to like more movies and books as children. Everything is new to us at that point. As we grow up, we see the same stories over and over again, and it takes a masterfully woven version to impress us afer a while.

You're also right that realizing that and accepting it seems to free the creative process.