• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John the Baptist accepted Islam

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
With all due respect though, I wouldn't exactly say that. Assuming what the religious scriptures say are true, he believed Jesus to be the Messiah, which would have made him Christian, although he was also probably an observant Jew as well. At this point in time, the lines between Judaism and Christianity were probably a bit blurred.
No, belief in Jesus as Messiah doesn't make him "Christian." It makes him a Jew who believed Jesus was messiah.

Sonofason

I suppose you would be right. Depending on what definition of "Christianity" we are using, which is a very subjective term, given the fact that there are literally hundreds of denominations claiming their flavor of Christianity is the "true" form of Christianity. I'm assuming you are talking about organized ecclesiastical Christianity.

That is not true.

The definition of the word Christian is "a follower of Christ"

"And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.
(Mathew 4:18-20)

Apparently, Jesus said 10 words to these two guys and they immediately threw down their nets, and became Christians.

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm assuming you are talking about organized ecclesiastical Christianity.

That did not happen for 400 years until the books were canonized.

given the fact that there are literally hundreds of denominations claiming their flavor of Christianity is the "true" form of Christianity

What date do you see this happening ?

After Jesus death. Hellenist in the empire found importance in the martyrdom.

But they were proselytes and gentiles who found importance in Judaism, and as the temple fell it became more important to separate themselves from perceived trouble making Jews.

You notice Paul was not trashing jews .

Which brings us to Jews. You need to understand how diverse Judaism actually was. The term christian is not vague, it is Judaism that is vague.

One could be a jew simply by swearing of all pagan deities in some Hellenistic circles. While Aramaic Jews would not accept that being more pious.

The term Jew is relative to who is using it. And were talking about multi cultural people who had different definitions.

Christians on the other hand were generally Hellenist in the empire, amnd the separation from Judaism took some time after Jesus death.

John was factually not a Christian, nor was Jesus

Sonofason

That would be the same as calling Jesus a christian.

Factually however, Christianity did not exist for a long time after Jesus death ;)

That is not true.

The definition of the word Christian is "a follower of Christ"

"And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.
(Mathew 4:18-20)

Apparently, Jesus said 10 words to these two guys and they immediately threw down their nets, and became Christians.

Sonofason

That did not happen for 400 years until the books were canonized.

What date do you see this happening ?

After Jesus death. Hellenist in the empire found importance in the martyrdom.

But they were proselytes and gentiles who found importance in Judaism, and as the temple fell it became more important to separate themselves from perceived trouble making Jews.

You notice Paul was not trashing jews .

Which brings us to Jews. You need to understand how diverse Judaism actually was. The term christian is not vague, it is Judaism that is vague.

One could be a jew simply by swearing of all pagan deities in some Hellenistic circles. While Aramaic Jews would not accept that being more pious.

The term Jew is relative to who is using it. And were talking about multi cultural people who had different definitions.

Christians on the other hand were generally Hellenist in the empire, amnd the separation from Judaism took some time after Jesus death.

John was factually not a Christian, nor was Jesus

Jesus is a manifestation of God in the flesh. God is our only hope of salvation, as a result of what He has done for us in the flesh. Surely God stands behind His own word. He follows His own will. Therefore in a sense, God is a Christian, and so therefore, in this light, Jesus could be considered a Christian.

But honestly, I do not care to consider God to be a Christian. He is the one being followed. He is not the follower, He is the leader. And as I have shown in another response to you, John certainly was a Christian. All that is required to be a Christian is that you follow Christ. And John followed Christ.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Water is found in 3 forms, Liquid,Solid, Gas.

Geometrical forms exist in the dimensions length,width,height.

Time exists as Past,Present,and Future.

the universe exists as space,matter and time.

For you to insist that 3 things cannot be separate and distinct but also as one is rebellion against logic.

is liquid H2O not equal and yet different to Solid H20?

Feces can be in 3 forms as well

Hard, soft and liquid. :yes:

outhouse

Atheistically
Recognizing "trinitarian monotheism" for the oxymoron it is was one of my first steps towards rational evaluation of religion as a concept.

Tom

turned me away from Christians at an early age, after being raised in a church school.

I was like Jeuss is the son, and god is the father, and they said no he was god, I was repeat that to me again. What? No no no no BS

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You did nothing here other than copying and pasting some verses without even understanding what it's all about.

Read Mark 1 carefully and see how John the baptist opened the way for Jesus to start his mission.

1 This is the beginning of the Good News about Jesus Christ, the Son of God,[a] 2 as the prophet Isaiah wrote:
“I will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way.” Malachi 3:1
3 “This is a voice of one
who calls out in the desert:
‘Prepare the way for the Lord.
Make the road straight for him.’” Isaiah 40:3
You did nothing here other than copying and pasting some verses without even understanding what it's all about. :biglaugh:

It was John the baptist who prepared Jesus to his mission and that wasn't by being arrested but by realizing and confirming that Jesus was the true Messiah and John the baptist was respected that his approval gave the power for Jesus to start preaching for the message of God.
Waffle....... From prison John even sent messengers to enquire about his true identity. 'Are you really the one?'
You don't understand what it's all about........ :D

4 John was baptizing people in the desert and preaching a baptism of changed hearts and lives for the forgiveness of sins. 5 All the people from Judea and Jerusalem were going out to him. They confessed their sins and were baptized by him in the Jordan River. 6 John wore clothes made from camel’s hair, had a leather belt around his waist, and ate locusts and wild honey. 7 This is what John preached to the people: “There is one coming after me who is greater than I; I am not good enough even to kneel down and untie his sandals. 8 I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
........... Antipas had John arrested, imprisoned, and later, executed. He was far too popular.

Then when John baptized Jesus he believed that he was the Messiah
It's wonderful to read, but how certain can you be about all this? Do you totally accept everythin that is written in the New Testament?
YES/NO

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
While i was reading some verses in the bible in its Arabic form i came to
one verse which doesn't give the same meaning as in the English bible.

It is Matthew 4:12 which says in English that John the baptist was captured
and Jesus then started to deliver his message to the public.

Matthew 4:12
When Jesus heard that John had been put in prison, he withdrew to Galilee.

In Arabic form it says that John the baptist accepted Islam and not as in English
was put in prison or captured.

aslam.png

?????? ?????? - ??? ?? ????

The world
aslam1.png
means accepted Islam or became a Muslim

See the meaning for the Arabic word

I investigated the greek word in matthew 4:12 and found it to have
the meaning of surrendering which is the same meaning for Islam in Arabic.

Matthew 4:12 Now when Jesus heard that John had been taken into custody, He withdrew into Galilee;

Greek.png

Matthew 4:12 NAS - Interlinear Bible - Online Bible Study Tools

The words "into custody" was translated from the Greek word
custody.png
Paradidomi which means surrendering among other meanings

Read here What Does it Mean to Surrender All to God? | eHow

Islam Explained

Seeing as how John the Baptist would have died during the first century and Muhammad was born in the firth century...it seems highly unlikely that he would have been a Muslim.

Sabour

Seeing as how John the Baptist would have died during the first century and Muhammad was born in the firth century...it seems highly unlikely that he would have been a Muslim.

Actually prophet muhammad peace be upon him isn't the first one to come with the message of Islam. In islam, we have approximately 124000 prophets out of which 25 are mentioned in the Quraan. All these prophets shared the same measage of worshiping only God, this includes Jesus peace be upon him.

Islam was always there since the beginning.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
Actually prophet muhammad peace be upon him isn't the first one to come with the message of Islam. In islam, we have approximately 124000 prophets out of which 25 are mentioned in the Quraan. All these prophets shared the same measage of worshiping only God, this includes Jesus peace be upon him.

Judaism, Christianity, and Zoroastrianism all worship one god as well... Your point being?

Sabour

Judaism, Christianity, and Zoroastrianism all worship one god as well... Your point being?

My point being that the people who we call christians because they followed the TRUE message of Jesus peace be upon him were muslims. Same thing about judaism.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

No. Muslim doctrine dictates that there was an evolution of god's message for humanity that comes in steps. Islam is supposed to be the final evolution of god's message. Therefore it would be inept of anyone to claim that Islam existed since the beginning. The antecedents of Islam existed for sure. And no one is denying that John the Baptist was not a Jew.

Sabour

No. Muslim doctrine dictates that there was an evolution of god's message for humanity that comes in steps. Islam is supposed to be the final evolution of god's message. Therefore it would be inept of anyone to claim that Islam existed since the beginning. The antecedents of Islam existed for sure. And no one is denying that John the Baptist was not a Jew.

I will go with your description and correct you one one point only. What you are referring to as God's message is Islam. So what you are describing as evolution of God's message can be better stated as evolution of Islam.

But still I dont agree on the term evolution you chose.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I will go with your description and correct you one one point only. What you are referring to as God's message is Islam. So what you are describing as evolution of God's message can be better stated as evolution of Islam.

But still I dont agree on the term evolution you chose.

The final "form" god's message takes shape. Is that any better? The term evolution means the same thing.

However like I said "Islam" and the term "to accept Islam" did not exist during the time-frame in which the OP was referencing. It is far more likely that the term later developed to mean "to accept Islam" rather than having that meaning hundreds of years earlier.