• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 1:1

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, I guess Young's got it wrong too:

It's a translation. All that a "literal translation" means is that the translator cared more about approximating one-to-one correspondance between words than about making the translation readable.

Are you defending the Trinitarian context of John 10:30 there? You think Barclay was wrong too? Please elaborate.

I'm not defending anything. I'm simply telling you what the Greek says.

Unless I misunderstand you, as Kathos is most clearly in John 17:21.
No, you are right. But kathos doesn't mean "as" exactly. Or rather, it is similar to one sense of "as". However, the really important part is that the lines you are comparing (17:21 & 10:30) are completely different. Here's 17:21

ἵνα πάντες ἓν ὦσιν, καθὼς σύ, πάτερ, ἐν ἐμοὶ κἀγὼ ἐν σοί

Here's 10:30
ἐγὼ καὶ ὁ πατὴρ ἕν ἐσμεν

17:21 has the subjunctive with hina and it has a "let it result in such a way that" force to it: "in order that they are all one, in the same way you, father, in me and also in you". The verb "to be" is (as is typical) missing in the last part, but it is implied: "in the same way you, father, [are] in me and I [am] in you". Now, the problem is not so much the "just as" part, which is here, as you say, that we have a completely different structure. We have a different mood (subjunctive vs. indicative), we have prepositions with the dative instead of a straightforward copular clause.

However, as to what I quoted exactly, I meant 17:11. Even though the "as" is still in 17:21 to define the full context. So would you like to discuss 17:11 then?

Sure. What about it?

And please provide a link on this indicative mood concept of which you think most definitely says that he is claiming to necessarily be the same being, I'd like to see more on this how necessarily equates to a defacto "same being" concept, it would be quite educational.

Um...ok...Syntax of the Moods and Tenses of the Greek Verb

I've not once heard anything about this in any argument about this verse. And particularly I'd like something that's not from a Trinitarian-aligned grammar guide regarding this issue. Perhaps some other examples too.

I wouldn't know about "Trinitarian-aligned grammar's".

Shermana

Heretic
It's a translation. All that a "literal translation" means is that the translator cared more about approximating one-to-one correspondance between words than about making the translation readable.
Okay, what does that have to do with your claim? I'm pretty sure he regarded Kathos as the same kind of "just as". Do you have a link that says that "Kathos" means something other than such as you claim below?

I'm not defending anything. I'm simply telling you what the Greek says.
Well I'm telling you that the Greek doesn't say that he's saying they are the same exact being, nor does the "indicative mood" indicate that Jesus is indicating he's the same being as opposed to the same context of 17:11.

No, you are right. But kathos doesn't mean "as" exactly. Or rather, it is similar to one sense of "as". However, the really important part is that the lines you are comparing (17:21 & 10:30) are completely different. Here's 17:21
Fair enough, but I do see if often translated as as "Just as" or "In an equivalent way".

ἵνα πάντες ἓν ὦσιν, καθὼς σύ, πάτερ, ἐν ἐμοὶ κἀγὼ ἐν σοί

Here's 10:30
ἐγὼ καὶ ὁ πατὴρ ἕν ἐσμεν
I'd say the context defines nonetheless that John 10:30 was meant to be read similarly even if with a different arrangement of words regarding "One".

17:21 has the subjunctive with hina and it has a "let it result in such a way that" force to it: "in order that they are all one, in the same way you, father, in me and also in you". The verb "to be" is (as is typical) missing in the last part, but it is implied: "in the same way you, father, [are] in me and I [am] in you". Now, the problem is not so much the "just as" part, which is here, as you say, that we have a completely different structure. We have a different mood (subjunctive vs. indicative), we have prepositions with the dative instead of a straightforward copular clause.
I still don't see how that equates to 10:30 meaning he's declaring to be the same being as the Father as opposed to being one in purpose.

Can you quote something from that indicates the indicative mood indicates Jesus is indicating he's the same being? And that John 17:11 doesn't clearly convey the context of "being one"? Why do you say "Um...ok..." there, are you saying this is something I should just accept at face value from you? Have you even read this work to begin with? Usually when I present a source when asked I give the exact page number and the quote. I have a feeling you are not going to present the actual quote which you claim backs this wild assertion of yours.

So I'm going to go ahead and say that you're simply incorrect or have been misinformed on this issue until you prove otherwise. Linking to the book itself is not presenting the argument in itself. And if you're going to say "Go read the book", we'll just leave it at that. The fact that you merely present the book itself, preclude it with "Um..ok..." as if I'm wrong to question your assertion, and don't cite any page number to back your claim is pretty clear that you may not know what you're talking about whatsoever. There's simply no reason to believe that the "indicative mood" means Jesus meant something that can't otherwise be read as metaphorical. Otherwise, if you refuse to get the exact quotation which proves your assertion that it HAS TO, NECESSARILY be read as "We are the same being", I challenge you to a 1x1 on that specific issue.

Like I said, I see NOTHING on this indicative mood concept somehow indicating that this statement of fact indicates Jesus was declaring to be the same Being. I have reason to suspect you got this from some no-name Trinitarian site and just winged a source on Greek grammar in general, so please prove you've actually read this source or at least provide the page number of this 500 page book which backs your claim and prove you know what you're talking about on this issue. Otherwise, an honorable retraction with "I kind of have no source to back that" will suffice as well. Examples of uses of such in other works that would directly correlate to your claim on John 10:30 like I asked for as well will do.

I wouldn't know about "Trinitarian-aligned grammar's".
Most Greek grammar guides are written by Church aligned or sponsored individuals.

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay, what does that have to do with your claim?

What claim?

I'm pretty sure he regarded Kathos as the same kind of "just as". Do you have a link that says that "Kathos" means something other than such as you claim below?
Maybe he did. As for links, alas most lexicons, including the LSJ and BDAG are not available for free (well, the older edition of the LSJ is on perseus, but it's not only older, it's also for ancient Greek in general).

Well I'm telling you that the Greek doesn't say that he's saying they are the same exact being, nor does the "indicative mood" indicate that Jesus is indicating he's the same being as opposed to the same context of 17:11.

You didn't know what the "indicative mood" was, which is something a first semester student could tell you. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you can't read ancient Greek. So you can tell me what something you can't even read says if you wish, but you'll have to pardon me for not really being all that concerned with your analysis of the semantics involved in a modal system you haven't even a basic grasp of.

Fair enough, but I do see if often translated as as "Just as" or "In an equivalent way".

Sure. It can be "just as". Or "in the same way" or "to the extent that" or even "to such a degree".

I'd say the context defines nonetheless that John 10:30 was meant to be read similarly even if with a different arrangement of words regarding "One".

Perhaps. Of course, in 17:11 there is no verb in the greek. That is, there is the 3rd person subjunctive again, but there is no verb there which corresponds to the "are" in "just as we are". In 10:30, it's there. So is the pronoun "I". The only reason you need both the subjects and the verb "to be" expressed like this (compare the lack of the verb in 17:11) is for special emphasis.

I still don't see how that equates to 10:30 meaning he's declaring to be the same being as the Father as opposed to being one in purpose.

There is nothing to indicate purpose. We have no "purpose clause" (as the intro grammar books might call it), no subjunctive, nothing other than the emphatic declaration "I and the father are one" (the verb is there when it need not be).

Can you quote something from that indicates the indicative mood indicates Jesus is indicating he's the same being? And that John 17:11 doesn't clearly convey the context of "being one"?
No. That's just so you can have some idea about the indicative mood.

Most Greek grammar guides are written by Church aligned or sponsored individuals.
The standard reference grammar of ancient Greek in general is revised edition of Smyth. My grandfather, who was an agnostic Jew, was the editor. But I'm sure that that Duhoux, Rijksbaron, Bakker, Kahn (whose entire book is on the ancient Greek verb "to be"), etc., were all minions for the Church and that you can aptly demonstrate this through...what?

Shermana

Heretic
What claim?
About how John 17:21 is indicating something differently.

Maybe he did. As for links, alas most lexicons, including the LSJ and BDAG are not available for free (well, the older edition of the LSJ is on perseus, but it's not only older, it's also for ancient Greek in general).
Okay, until then, I'm pretty certain Kathos meant "just as" just as in "Equivalent way" in that context and there's no real proof otherwise.

You didn't know what the "indicative mood" was, which is something a first semester student could tell you.
I most clearly said in the post to Cataway that from what I understand it's merely an expression or claim of fact.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you can't read ancient Greek. So you can tell me what something you can't even read says if you wish, but you'll have to pardon me for not really being all that concerned with your analysis of the semantics involved in a modal system you haven't even a basic grasp of.
I'm going out on a limb here to say that you're dodging and diving for a good reason and I have no idea what reason you want to make such un-tenable, unsupportable positions. You're right, I don't. As if that somehow means I can't understand what you're talking about. Or ask you to actually back your claim with a direct quote on the subject. I can go discuss this with someone who DOES speak Greek however, and I can let you know what they say if you'd like. I think you're under the idea that only people who speak Greek can discuss the nuances in question here. And I have yet to see a single Trintiarian Greek scholar defend John 10:30 as you're saying. So as I say, I'm wondering where you're getting this from, seeing as I find NOTHING on the internetz about this except on CARM, which I wonder if that's where you're getting this from, and I wonder what business you have defending the orthodox view from this angle which I find NO PRECEDENT for even among the orthodox.

The problem is you made a claim and you don't want to back it.

Sure. It can be "just as". Or "in the same way" or "to the extent that" or even "to such a degree".
Right. And I don't see any other way how it would be used based on the examples from the text. Or any other text.

Perhaps. Of course, in 17:11 there is no verb in the greek. That is, there is the 3rd person subjunctive again, but there is no verb there which corresponds to the "are" in "just as we are". In 10:30, it's there. So is the pronoun "I". The only reason you need both the subjects and the verb "to be" expressed like this (compare the lack of the verb in 17:11) is for special emphasis.
Can you present an actual direct quote as well as source that says this is the case that for 10:30 it somehow means they are the same being necessarily? Your argument that "There's no purpose clause" I don't see how that means it exclusively refers to being the same being.

There is nothing to indicate purpose. We have no "purpose clause" (as the intro grammar books might call it), no subjunctive, nothing other than the emphatic declaration "I and the father are one" (the verb is there when it need not be).
Okay, so I still have yet to see how "Are one" means "Are the same being" as opposed to a metaphorical use of one necessarily. Just because there's no "purpose clause" doesn't mean that it necessarily means it's a "being clause" somehow either. I'm still wondering where you are getting this idea and why you're defending this Trinitarian rendition when I can find NO OTHER SOURCE that remotely defends it like this.

No. That's just so you can have some idea about the indicative mood.
I totally understand what the Indicative mood means. However, you have NOTHING that will support your claim as far as I'm concerned that it necessarily means this. Not even Trinitarian scholars will back you on this one. What skin do you have in this even?

The standard reference grammar of ancient Greek in general is revised edition of Smyth. My grandfather, who was an agnostic Jew, was the editor.
Interesting. Are you fully ethnically Jewish by chance?
But I'm sure that that Duhoux, Rijksbaron, Bakker, Kahn (whose entire book is on the ancient Greek verb "to be"), etc., were all minions for the Church and that you can aptly demonstrate this through...what?[
Where did I imply that this work was in any way being a minion of the Church? Did you even read what I said? You're jumping to conclusions on a false strawman here. First off, the work you presented doesn't even necessarily indicate your concept of the indicative mood here, so I'm not even accusing it of bias to begin with.

But it seems you're unfamiliar with the flood of Greek guides on the market that are biased in favor of the orthodox renderings.

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay, until then, I'm pretty certain Kathos meant "just as" just as in "Equivalent way" in that context and there's no real proof otherwise.

Nope. No proof. I can quote a lexicon for you, I can link you to the available older editions, or alternatively I could refer you to books on what translation involves (and the fact that there is nothing that kathos corresponds to in English, because it's sort of generally well-known that the reason language presents such a difficulty for computers, translators, etc., is
1) Lexemes aren't dictionary entries. Not only do they have a far more nebulous quality, but they cannot be seperated from the constructions in which they are found. Take "just as". It's not one word. kathos is. Just as is a prefab, kathos is not.
2) There is no strict divide between grammar and the lexicon.

But proof is for mathematics, and as much as I'm sure Chomsky and others would love language to be equivalent to first order logic (or any formal language) it isn't.

I most clearly said in the post to Cataway that from what I understand it's merely an expression or claim of fact.

You said that about the indicative mood?

I'm going out on a limb here to say that you're dodging and diving for a good reason and I have no idea what reason you want to make such un-tenable, unsupportable positions.

Let's start with that. The idea that I am making an unsupportable position. How am I supposed to support it? If I quoted from lexicons, reference grammars, monographs, journals, etc., would you accept these? In other words, for the sake of argument, let's say I spend a good deal of time explaining what "mood" and "modal systems" are, the system used in koine, the semantics of eimi, and so on, all supported by references to academic literature. Would it matter to you? In fact, is there a way in which I could support anything which contradicts your interpretation which you would accept? If so, I have no problem providing you with any resources or knowledge I have for you to evaluate. I can point you to references, there may even be some which you can access online or which I can and could upload somewhere.

But we have a rather difficult divide. You have no way of evaluating most of what I say, because you lack the familiarity with the language to do so, and the familiarity with the literature on the language (or access to it). So it isn't as if I can simply "prove" the way I might if we dealing with which multidimensional scaling technique is most appropriate for a particular problem or any number of other similar situations. Nor can do what I might if this were a debate over history, in which there might be enough freely and easily available data we could both point to. The issue is a much more difficult one, because we aren't dealing with a situation in which I have certain sources you don't, but rather that whatever sources either of us has, we cannot evaluate them equally.

As if that somehow means I can't understand what you're talking about. Or ask you to actually back your claim with a direct quote on the subject. I can go discuss this with someone who DOES speak Greek however, and I can let you know what they say if you'd like

Nobody speeks ancient Greek. Not even in the way there are some who "speak" Latin. Latin is a dead language, but has been continually spoken over the centuries, and was the language of scholarship. It was spoken on campuses, dissertations were written in it, scholars wrote in Latin in their diaries. That didn't happen for Greek. So the chance of you finding someone who "speaks" ancient Greek the way you might someone who "speaks" Latin is pretty small.

Most importantly, though, there haven't been any native speakers of the language in which the NT was written for centuries. You'd have to find someone who has been educated. But wouldn't it be easier simply to read that link? Goodwin is still used.

I think you're under the idea that only people who speak Greek can discuss the nuances in question here.
No. Only those who can read it.

And I have yet to see a single Trintiarian Greek scholar defend John 10:30 as you're saying.
Yes, but then again, you didn't know what "indicative mood" meant and you made a remark about grammars which seems quite biased (perhaps even prejudiced) it may be that there is a great deal of scholarship you haven't read. Or it's just that we're coming at this from two different worlds. And I couldn't really care less about what a "Trinitarian Greek scholar" means (how on earth does one combine doctrine and linguistic or even philology into a single field?), much less what such an individual would defend (especially when doctrine comes into play; take Wallace's usually excellent NT Grammar when it comes to anarthrous predicate nominatives- the time spent on Colwell's rule and how it has been misused when in the end, even if all of what Wallace says is correct, the basic logic is flawed: it's true that if x then y does not entail if y then x, but it does increase the probability).

So as I say, I'm wondering where you're getting this from, seeing as I find NOTHING on the internetz about this except on CARM, which I wonder if that's where you're getting this from, and I wonder what business you have defending the orthodox view from this angle which I find NO PRECEDENT for even among the orthodox.
Ok. What have you read on copular verbs, their existential semantic connotations, and (this is probably on the interwebs somewhere) when and why the verb "to be" or other copulas are absent? That would be a starting place, because in both your examples, the English tranlsations put "are" (e.g., "just as we are") when there is no "are" in the Greek. There doesn't have to be, as it is often implied, and in fact when it isn't, but could be, there are reasons for this.

The problem is you made a claim and you don't want to back it.

I told you what it said. You read into this some doctrinal interpretation, and pointed to irrelevant passages to support a different interpretation. But I would be happy to point out why I translated the Greek the way I did, with references to specialist literature on Greek, on the condition that there is some point in me doing so.

Can you present an actual direct quote as well as source that says this is the case that for 10:30 it somehow means they are the same being?

That's the problem. Nobody is debating what it says, but how what is clearly "we are one" means something else. But that's doctrine. And while I seriously doubt that there is any validity to the claim that the trinity was inherent in John, the argument that this is simply equivalent to other unity claims which are rather fundamentally different is not one based on the language.

Okay, so I still have yet to see how "Are one" means "Are the same being" as opposed to a metaphorical use of one necessarily.

It could be metaphorical, sure.

Just because there's no "purpose clause" doesn't mean that it necessarily means it's a "being clause" somehow either.

It is, actually.

I'm still wondering where you are getting this idea and why you're defending this Trinitarian rendition when I can find NO OTHER SOURCE that remotely defends it like this.

It's not trinitarian. There's only two individuals. A trinity would be three.

What skin do you have in this even?
I don't like bad arguments. Other than that, it's mainly just the fact that language interests me, that my undergrad thesis was on the Greek modal system, that history, religion, and similar topics interest me, and that I find it difficult to hear someone adamantly defend the proper interpretation of a language they can't read without at least pointing to some good evidence that the esmen is included for some reason other than to mean what it does.

Interesting. Are you fully ethnically Jewish by chance?
No. My mother was raised catholic. But my grandfather, although born here (his grandfather was the first reform rabbi in New York), was a German Jew, and was in the OSS during WWII, where his linguistic skills were used to interrogate former SS during the end of the war. So that part of my background is not only the only one I know (I don't know where his wife was from, or my mother's ethnic background), it was also always emphasized more during my life.

Where did I imply that this work was in any way being a minion of the Church? Did you even read what I said?
Yes. And you seem to be under a very wrong impresson about "most greek grammars". And given the relationship between my family and the most comprehensive Greek grammar there is in English, I don't really appreciate such claims, quite apart from the more general problem I have with such a biased view of the literature.

First off, the work you presented doesn't even necessarily indicate your concept of the indicative mood here, so I'm not even accusing it of bias to begin with.

No, just "most greek grammar guides".

But it seems you're unfamiliar with the flood of Greek guides on the market that are biased in favor of the orthodox renderings.

Could be. But whatever markets there are, "most" is not accurate. Especially as any real study of ancient Greek means learning German, French, and/or Italian. Funk translated the German work of Blass and Debrunner, but Schweitzer has no English translation. Nor do the more modern guides, including Duhoux's, which is probably the most comprehensive modern approach to the ancient Greek verb (it's in French).

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rather than debate whether you would accept evidence, and if so what kind, I've decided (what the heck) to give you what you asked for. In Wallace's Greek Grammar: Beyond the Basics we find (in the extremely lengthy section on anarthrous PN's, the following (emphasis added): "there is an exalted Christology in the Fourth Gospel, to the point that Jesus is identified as God (cf. 5:23; 8:58; 10:30; 20:28, etc)." (p. 267).

Shermana

Heretic
Rather than debate whether you would accept evidence, and if so what kind, I've decided (what the heck) to give you what you asked for. In Wallace's Greek Grammar: Beyond the Basics we find (in the extremely lengthy section on anarthrous PN's, the following (emphasis added): "there is an exalted Christology in the Fourth Gospel, to the point that Jesus is identified as God (cf. 5:23; 8:58; 10:30; 20:28, etc)." (p. 267).

Wallace would be a perfect example of the kind of Biased Greek Grammar guides I'm talking about, just FYI. And with that said, what he says here is not exactly indicative of the indicative mood claim in action. For instance, he also includes John 8:58, and that verse as well is disputed and other Triniarian scholars like Goodspeed and Moffatt (Professor Emeritus at Oxford) rendered it not quite like he was saying here. Surely you can see that each of these issues are far from clear cut and undisputed, even among Trintiarians. Hence why I brought up Barclay regarding John 10:30. There is indeed a bit of confirmation bias that distorts the grammar in favor of doctrine, which is why you'll see things like "Colwell's rule" which even Wallace disagrees with though others think is defacto (one thing I agree with Wallace on).

And you're right that no one speaks Ancient Greek. This is more of what I'm saying, it seems many Trinitarians will distort and redefine the Koine to what they want to say rather than seeking objectivity.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Nope. No proof. I can quote a lexicon for you, I can link you to the available older editions, or alternatively I could refer you to books on what translation involves (and the fact that there is nothing that kathos corresponds to in English, because it's sort of generally well-known that the reason language presents such a difficulty for computers, translators, etc., is
1) Lexemes aren't dictionary entries. Not only do they have a far more nebulous quality, but they cannot be seperated from the constructions in which they are found. Take "just as". It's not one word. kathos is. Just as is a prefab, kathos is not.
2) There is no strict divide between grammar and the lexicon.
Okay, so perhaps you can start by showing an example where Kathos means something other than "just as" if you wanted to back your case.
But proof is for mathematics, and as much as I'm sure Chomsky and others would love language to be equivalent to first order logic (or any formal language) it isn't.
I really didn't mean to get into a discussion on such regarding language, but hopefully you can agree that no other meaning behind Kathos is recognized anywhere else, or can you show where?

You said that about the indicative mood?
Read the post.

Let's start with that. The idea that I am making an unsupportable position. How am I supposed to support it? If I quoted from lexicons, reference grammars, monographs, journals, etc., would you accept these? In other words, for the sake of argument, let's say I spend a good deal of time explaining what "mood" and "modal systems" are, the system used in koine, the semantics of eimi, and so on, all supported by references to academic literature. Would it matter to you? In fact, is there a way in which I could support anything which contradicts your interpretation which you would accept? If so, I have no problem providing you with any resources or knowledge I have for you to evaluate. I can point you to references, there may even be some which you can access online or which I can and could upload somewhere.
Sure, go for it. Point some out that indicate to what you're saying that it NECESSARILY without dispute, says what you're saying and that those like Barclay and the Greek-reading scholarly JW site I posted are wrong.

But we have a rather difficult divide. You have no way of evaluating most of what I say, because you lack the familiarity with the language to do so, and the familiarity with the literature on the language (or access to it). So it isn't as if I can simply "prove" the way I might if we dealing with which multidimensional scaling technique is most appropriate for a particular problem or any number of other similar situations. Nor can do what I might if this were a debate over history, in which there might be enough freely and easily available data we could both point to. The issue is a much more difficult one, because we aren't dealing with a situation in which I have certain sources you don't, but rather that whatever sources either of us has, we cannot evaluate them equally.
What I can do is point to those who DO have familiarity who happen to disagree with you.

Nobody speeks ancient Greek. Not even in the way there are some who "speak" Latin. Latin is a dead language, but has been continually spoken over the centuries, and was the language of scholarship. It was spoken on campuses, dissertations were written in it, scholars wrote in Latin in their diaries. That didn't happen for Greek. So the chance of you finding someone who "speaks" ancient Greek the way you might someone who "speaks" Latin is pretty small.
Right. Which is why Wallace disagrees with Goodspeed who disagrees with Colwell and Sharp and such. As I said above, there appears to be a tendency to redefine the Greek grammar to suit doctrine. In your case, I think you're redefining the Indiative Mood to support some concept that is not supported anywhere else except maybe CARM.

Most importantly, though, there haven't been any native speakers of the language in which the NT was written for centuries. You'd have to find someone who has been educated. But wouldn't it be easier simply to read that link? Goodwin is still used.
Your link is 500 pages, and on that section does not say what you're saying.

No. Only those who can read it.
Right but I know people who can read it, and I know sites that are written by people who can read it. Surely you're aware that there are different opinions on how exactly the rules work. Hence we have issues like Colwell's and Sharp's which are fabricated rules to support doctrine.

Yes, but then again, you didn't know what "indicative mood" meant and you made a remark about grammars which seems quite biased (perhaps even prejudiced) it may be that there is a great deal of scholarship you haven't read. Or it's just that we're coming at this from two different worlds. And I couldn't really care less about what a "Trinitarian Greek scholar" means (how on earth does one combine doctrine and linguistic or even philology into a single field?), much less what such an individual would defend (especially when doctrine comes into play; take Wallace's usually excellent NT Grammar when it comes to anarthrous predicate nominatives- the time spent on Colwell's rule and how it has been misused when in the end, even if all of what Wallace says is correct, the basic logic is flawed: it's true that if x then y does not entail if y then x, but it does increase the probability).
And there's another issue, Colwell's rule isn't even a rule, it's arbitrary and for some reason no one knew about it until the 1930s. As I state above, Wallace may not be entirely objective. I brought up Barclay for a reason. Different Scholars have different opinions on this matter for some reason.

Ok. What have you read on copular verbs, their existential semantic connotations, and (this is probably on the interwebs somewhere) when and why the verb "to be" or other copulas are absent? That would be a starting place, because in both your examples, the English tranlsations put "are" (e.g., "just as we are") when there is no "are" in the Greek. There doesn't have to be, as it is often implied, and in fact when it isn't, but could be, there are reasons for this.
And how does that mean it's a matter of being the same being as opposed to a conceptual idea of being one in purpose?

I told you what it said. You read into this some doctrinal interpretation, and pointed to irrelevant passages to support a different interpretation. But I would be happy to point out why I translated the Greek the way I did, with references to specialist literature on Greek, on the condition that there is some point in me doing so.
Well what you think it said is not necessarily what others are saying it says who also read Greek. The point in you doing so would be to look like you actually have a source for your claims, especially when others do not agree with this.

That's the problem. Nobody is debating what it says, but how what is clearly "we are one" means something else. But that's doctrine. And while I seriously doubt that there is any validity to the claim that the trinity was inherent in John, the argument that this is simply equivalent to other unity claims which are rather fundamentally different is not one based on the language.
Okay, so we are in agreement that the Trinity is NOT actually inherent in John, now I see a bit differently where you're coming from. With that said, I think we agree more than I realize.

It could be metaphorical, sure.
So what are we arguing about??

It is, actually.
How?

It's not trinitarian. There's only two individuals. A trinity would be three.
Excuse me, Binitarian. Wait, so are you saying you think the BINTIARIAN model is inherent John instead?

I don't like bad arguments. Other than that, it's mainly just the fact that language interests me, that my undergrad thesis was on the Greek modal system, that history, religion, and similar topics interest me, and that I find it difficult to hear someone adamantly defend the proper interpretation of a language they can't read without at least pointing to some good evidence that the esmen is included for some reason other than to mean what it does.
Well I'm just getting it from someone else who studied Greek language.Surely you're aware, again, that there are different opinions on how to read the Greek and it's not a completely agreed on concept, so I imagine you understand then that your opinion here may not be shared necessarily by others who have studied Greek. With that said, it's not a bad argument necessarily, it may be a bad argument based on your particular understanding which clashes with the educated understanding of those who I am basing my own views from.

No. My mother was raised catholic. But my grandfather, although born here (his grandfather was the first reform rabbi in New York), was a German Jew, and was in the OSS during WWII, where his linguistic skills were used to interrogate former SS during the end of the war. So that part of my background is not only the only one I know (I don't know where his wife was from, or my mother's ethnic background), it was also always emphasized more during my life.
Not too shabby.

Yes. And you seem to be under a very wrong impresson about "most greek grammars". And given the relationship between my family and the most comprehensive Greek grammar there is in English....
I'll try to sometime show you that more often than not Greek Grammars are written by Church-aligned individuals. Such as your example with Wallace.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wallace would be a perfect example of the kind of Biased Greek Grammar guides I'm talking about, just FYI.

Bias is unavoidable. The question is not whether or not a particular approach is biased (the answer is always yes), but in what way and how relevant this is regarding accuracy.

And with that said, what he says here is not exactly indicative of the indicative mood claim in action.

I said "there's a reason they call it the indicative." Not "the indicative mood cannot be used in any way other than to.." followed by some claim.

For instance, he also includes John 8:58, and that verse as well is disputed and other Triniarian scholars like Goodspeed and Moffatt (Professor Emeritus at Oxford) rendered it not quite like he was saying here. Surely you can see that each of these issues are far from clear cut and undisputed, even among Trintiarians.
These issues are also irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Biblical studies is perhaps the basis, or foundation of, modern historiography and linguistics. Alas, this benefit (centuries of study) has left classical languages and biblical languages rooted in largely abandoned models of linguistics. There are certainly exceptions to this, e.g.,
The Pragmatics of Perception and Cognition in MT Jeremiah 1:1-6:30: A Cognitive Linguistics Approach (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift fur die Alttestamentliche Wissenschaft). However, in general Classics and Biblical studies suffer from too many experts who are well acquainted with the languages but not linguistics. This is unfortunate, as there are no native speakers of these languages. Thus an analysis which uses outdated approachs to language itself will suffer regardless famililarity of the analyst with the language.

Wallace's work incorporates a great many insights from modern linguistics. It is in general quite superior compared to the "classic" approach of so many other reference works. Yet, unlike Schweitzer, Smyth (revised edition), the BDF, etc., it is not just a reference grammar but is explicitly exegetical.

This is not, however, by any means the only way in which a study of NT Greek (or any language) can be biased. Someone who approaches a language or a text a functionalist perspective will inevitably focus on things that someone who adopts a some generative model would not (and vice versa).

In the end, however, we are still left with a particular lexico-grammatical construction in 10:30 and the best arguments for interpretation. This requires understanding the importance of construction grammars (and, interestingly enough, Louw's Semantics of New Testament Greek is noteworthy in its adoption of something akin to construction grammar before this really existed).

Additionally, we have here the most problematic "verb" cross-linguistically: the copula/existential verb. Any analysis of 10:30 has to deal with a number of factors:

1) Why is this verb (esmen) included? That is, looking merely at the other passages you cited we can clearly see the verb need not be included. But here it is.
2) As the other passages do not have the verb at all, they do not have the "mood", and therefore we cannot assert anything about the connotation or semantic content aspect of the Greek modal system and its relationship with the verbal system. However, we do have to address why it is absent in the others and not in 10:30.
3) Why hen?

This is more of what I'm saying, it seems many Trinitarians will distort and redefine the Koine to what they want to say rather than seeking objectivity.
Distort compared to the objective analyses of...?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay, so perhaps you can start by showing an example where Kathos means something other than "just as" if you wanted to back your case.
I really didn't mean to get into a discussion on such regarding language, but hopefully you can agree that no other meaning behind Kathos is recognized anywhere else, or can you show where?
Would you prefer I use the LSJ (which is the lexicon for classical greek, and perhaps you would find it less likely to be "biased"), or the BDAG (which is specific to NT Greek and early Christian literature)?

Sure, go for it. Point some out that indicate to what you're saying that it NECESSARILY without dispute, says what you're saying and that those like Barclay and the Greek-reading scholarly JW site I posted are wrong.

It's language. And a dead one at that. Necessarily wrong is impossible. However, as long as you are concerned with bias, what basis is there for interpreting the passage to mean something other than what it says? You compare the use of this verb to passages which don't contain it.

Right. Which is why Wallace disagrees with Goodspeed who disagrees with Colwell and Sharp and such. As I said above, there appears to be a tendency to redefine the Greek grammar to suit doctrine.

"Greek grammar"? Again, why treat theological or exegetical approaches to greek grammar as if these were representative of guides to even NT greek grammar?
In your case, I think you're redefining the Indiative Mood to support some concept that is not supported anywhere else except maybe CARM.

The indicative mood has almost nothing to do with anything I've said. It's a simplistic term used to teach students of classical languages something which is significantly more nuanced. That said, you compare 10:30 and the use of the verb in it to passages which simply don't contain this verb at all. Apart from anything else, you should be able to explain why you state the use of esmen in 10:30 is comparable to the lines you cite, in which this verb simply does not appear.

Right but I know people who can read it, and I know sites that are written by people who can read it. Surely you're aware that there are different opinions on how exactly the rules work.

This is language. The basic mechanisms are metaphorical extensions, constructions, polysemy.

Hence we have issues like Colwell's and Sharp's which are fabricated rules to support doctrine.

And fabricated responses.

And there's another issue, Colwell's rule isn't even a rule, it's arbitrary and for some reason no one knew about it until the 1930s.

How is that at all strange? Do you have any idea how much progress has been made, and how many other "rules" have been investigated since then which were previously unknown?

As I state above, Wallace may not be entirely objective.
He isn't. And in some cases he's just plain wrong.

I brought up Barclay for a reason. Different Scholars have different opinions on this matter for some reason.

For multiple reasons. That doesn't mean that you should simply write off those you disagree with because you disagree with them. Unless you can explain the usage here in ways which are consistent which modern linguistic theory AND our knowledge of NT Greek, simply saying that trinitarians are biased doesn't mean much.

And how does that mean it's a matter of being the same being as opposed to a conceptual idea of being one in purpose?

It is making a point of emphasis where none need be made, and where your comparison lines do not.

Well what you think it said is not necessarily what others are saying it says who also read Greek.
Not really. But it is certainly true that there are various interpretations concerning the relationship between "what it says" and what that which it says means.

The point in you doing so would be to look like you actually have a source for your claims, especially when others do not agree with this.
What "others?" Actually, that's far less important than why you care so much about needing a reference for what this particular line means, rather than what the underlying lexico-grammatical construction means. Asking for some reference which is specific to this line is asking for a religious, not a grammatical, linguistic, or language-studies interpretation.

Okay, so we are in agreement that the Trinity is NOT actually inherent in John
Correct.

So what are we arguing about??
That there is a good reason for thinking John 10:30, which states that Jesus and "the father" are on entity, means something metaphorical. Of course it could. Novel usage is a characteristic of any language. But if I say "that book is really heavy" and you interpret it as meaning I think the book is very meaningful rather than a statement about weight, you should have some evidence to support this.

Because it includes what it need not in a way that is designed to make a clear, emphatic, ontological claim, when the verb could be left out entirely.

Excuse me, Binitarian. Wait, so are you saying you think the BINTIARIAN model is inherent John instead?

No. I think that decades before the author of John, we have Paul and his trouble understanding Jesus' nature exactly. And by the time John was written, it is entirely possible that the equating of Jesus with God had become one interpretation, albeit neither straightforward nor unproblematic.

Avoice

In the Bible's Gospel of John, it opens thus:

"In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God."

I would like Christians to give me their views regarding this verse, and why they believe what they believe about it. I will give you my thoughts on it.

There's a few problems here in the Greek. The first is on the word "word". The Greek word is "logos", which actually has various shades of meaning, but in pre-NT times, it meant reason, or something similar. Christians say that Jesus is the word, the logos, but do they really understand what that means? If we take the word logos to mean it's common meaning of reason, then how can an abstract idea like reason be in human form? Now, logos can mean word, or more generally, language. The Greek word lexis also means word, and they both come from the same root. But, lexis is generally the word used to denote a word itself, while logos is used to denote the reason, or idea, behind the word. My question is this: with this definition of logos, how can Christians logically equate it with living person? How does this make any sense, or how can this be reconciled philosophically?

Another problem is with the phrase, "and the logos was God". While it's ambiguous, the general syntax of the Greek suggests that the logos wasn't God, but "a god", or "divine".

To me, it seems like a better interpretation of this verse would be to assume that the "logos" was not Jesus, but the divine will or reason of God. Any thoughts?

The rest of the verse
NWT said:
(John 1:2, 3) 2*This one was in [the] beginning with God. 3*All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence..*.*.
explains your questions to me. All of our universe came into existence for Jesus. Jesus is the reason (logos) for creation. I'm still trying to find out just why the last clause in John 1:1 is reversed when all the other clauses are straight forward.

It makes much more sense to me that God is Jesus/ the word than that Jesus is God the Father.

cataway

how do i explane john 1:1 ? simlple
"In the beginning of Gods creative works ,first was the Word, and the Word existed with God,and the Word was very much like God ."

Horrorble

No. I think that decades before the author of John, we have Paul and his trouble understanding Jesus' nature exactly. And by the time John was written, it is entirely possible that the equating of Jesus with God had become one interpretation, albeit neither straightforward nor unproblematic.

I agree with this. Something I've said on another thread. I don't think all the authors of the NT had the exact same view and understanding of Jesus. But then again I'm not even convinced the guy actually existed.

Joh:1:1:
In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
Joh:1:2:
The same was in the beginning with God.

As the last Prophet ever to be called by God John is telling us who sent him. In this case it is the God as in Ge:1. In that chapter God spoke creation into being, there are several verses that say, "God said." and the word were made real by the Holy Spirit.

Ge:1 is God's witness to creation, Ge:2 is the version as witnessed by the Holy Spirit and their Son Christ has His witness in Proverbs:8 (last half of the chapter)

It isn't any more complicated than that, however these verse may help a little as it gives the location where they were when the words were spoken.

2Co:12:2:
I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago,
(whether in the body,
I cannot tell;
or whether out of the body,
I cannot tell:
God knoweth;)
such an one caught up to the third heaven.

1Jo:5:7:
For there are three that bear record in heaven,
the Father,
the Word,
and the Holy Ghost:
and these three are one.

Heb:12:22:
But ye are come unto mount Sion,
and unto the city of the living God,
the heavenly Jerusalem
and to an innumerable company of angels,

Shermana

Heretic
John 1:1

"And the word was A god", as numerous independent scholars have been translating it since the 1800s, long before the JWs.

I hope I don't have to get into the Anarthrous issue yet again.

1Jo:5:7:
For there are three that bear record in heaven,
the Father,
the Word,
and the Holy Ghost:
and these three are one.
Not heard of the Comma Johanneum I presume?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_Johanneum
As the last Prophet ever to be called by God
So when Paul was referring to future prophets and exhorting believers to strive to be prophets, you think they weren't called by God or simply never were prophets? Or are you just not familiar with Paul's texts concerning future prophets?

Last edited:
The Apostles were gathered by Jesus, the same person that spoke to everyone after the cross.

Joh:1:6:
There was a man sent from God,
whose name was John.
Joh:1:7:
The same came for a witness,
to bear witness of the Light,
that all men through him might believe.

"Comma Johanneum"
Doesn't take much to throw you off course does it?
How Christ became to be called 'the Word'.

Proverb:8:6:
Hear;
for I will speak of excellent things;
and the opening of my lips shall be right things.
Proverb:8:7:
For my mouth shall speak truth;
and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
Proverb:8:8:
All the words of my mouth are in righteousness;
there is nothing froward or perverse in them.

Proverb:8:33:
Hear instruction,
and be wise,
and refuse it not.
Proverb:8:34:
Blessed is the man that heareth me,
watching daily at my gates,
waiting at the posts of my doors.
Proverb:8:35:
For whoso findeth me findeth life,
and shall obtain favour of the LORD.
Proverb:8:36:
But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul:
all they that hate me love death.

Joh:1:14:
And the Word was made flesh,
and dwelt among us,
(and we beheld his glory,
the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,)
full of grace and truth.

If you are going to promote that why not use the best example that has been argued about for ages.

Lu:23:43:
And Jesus said unto him,
Verily I say unto thee,
To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Lu:23:43:
And Jesus said unto him,
Verily I say unto thee to day ,
shalt thou be with me in paradise.

The first version is correct, Jesus went to the grave but not to sleep and the Gospel was preached to all that were in the grave during that 3 days and 3 nights.

1Pe:4:6:
For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead,
that they might be judged according to men in the flesh,
but live according to God in the spirit.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
"Comma Johanneum"
Doesn't take much to throw you off course does it?
How is that throwing it off course? Do you even understand the concept at stake?

With that said, I fail to see how any of your further scripture quotes are in any way on course.

I do agree that Proverbs 8 defines "Wisdom" (Logos/word) as the First created being of whom all things were made through. I've brought that up numerous times on numerous threads.

In that same chapter is this verse which says God created this earth.

Proverb:8:31:
Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth;
and my delights were with the sons of men.

Joh:5:19:
Then answered Jesus and said unto them,
Verily,
verily,
I say unto you,
The Son can do nothing of himself,
but what he seeth the Father do:
for what things soever he doeth,
these also doeth the Son likewise.

Heb:1:2:
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son,
whom he hath appointed heir of all things,
by whom also he made the worlds;

Christ is the Son of God, He has wisdom rather than wisdom is a being.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Right, the Logos/Wisdom/Word was the means of how the world was made THROUGH. Not "by" as in Originated by, but "by" as in "THROUGH".

God is like the CEO and Architect.

The Logos is like the Foreman and Construction Overseer who gets his blueprints and orders from the CEO/Architect.

Why make it complicated, God is the perfect father and what He show His son results in the son being able to do the same, perfectly. In this case God made this earth as it appeared as at the end of day 1 and Jesus could do the same for all the other solar systems in this galaxy and the rest of the universe. What life that will be on this earth will be the seeds for life on all other worlds as nothing new is ever created after the end of day 6.
Did you know that the new earth is going to include the whole universe because the 2/3 of the Angels that did not sin will remain in the 3rd heaven once it is time for the Great White Throne? People leave this earth when it is time for the fire to send Satan to the fiery lake at the end of the 1,000 year reign.

Isa:51:6:
Lift up your eyes to the heavens,
and look upon the earth beneath:
for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke,
and the earth shall wax old like a garment,
and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner:
but my salvation shall be for ever,
and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

Heb:12:22:
But ye are come unto mount Sion,
and unto the city of the living God,
the heavenly Jerusalem,
and to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb:12:23:
To the general assembly and church of the firstborn,
which are written in heaven,
and to God the Judge of all,
and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Last edited: