• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish atheist - seeking advice/shared experiences

Crell

Hi folks. I am facing an religious/ethical quandry, and I am looking for others who have experiences to share that may prove useful. It's a bit of a tricky situation so let me explain.

I was raised Jew-ish. American Reform, barely observant household growing up. Had a Bar Mitzvah and then skedaddled from the synagogue as quickly as I could and never looked back. In all honestly I never believed in God, and have long since stopped going through the scarce few motions I still kept (eg, Yom Kippur fast). At this point I am somewhat uncomfortable around religious ceremonies of any kind, and participating in them makes me even more uncomfortable. I feel uncomfortable even calling myself Jewish (I go back and forth depending on the context), and am not willing to say prayers that I do not believe to a sky gremlin I don't believe in. I'm at the point where I had long ago decided that I wouldn't circumcise my children, even though it's common even in secular American culture, because I saw it as genital mutilation.

I have been alternately friends and friends-with-extras with a woman for over 9 years now. She was raised Modern Orthodox Judaism. Because of the religious disconnect we've never figured we would ever make a good couple, but we're incredibly compatible in a great many other ways (including some that are really hard to find, as we both have some fringe interests). We have both tried to find other people to date, but finding anyone to our liking has been a challenge, despite both of us actively trying to encourage and support the other in doing so. In the past year or so she's had a crisis of faith, or rather of observance, and has (on her own, not because of me) essentially downgraded herself to what I would describe as Reform-with-extras. (Kosher, Shabbis, Yom Kippur, etc. but the Torah versions of those without the add-ons from the Talmud.)

She has recently asked/suggested that we should get together as a couple for real, since, well, after 9 years we're halfway there already and with her substantially lower level of religiousness we might be able to meet in the middle. Were it just her and I it would be able to handle only cooking with kosher meat and scrubbing the house for Passover and otherwise just rolling with it, but of course the bigger question is kids, which we both want. She feels strongly about raising them Jewish, speaking Hebrew at home so they're bilingual, at least them keeping Shabbis even if I mostly don't, them eating kosher even if I don't, etc.

I am... torn. On the one hand, what she describes is about the most agnostic one can get and still be Jewish. And while we're not a perfect match we are close enough that, were it not for the religion factor, we would probably have started dating for reals a long time ago. On the other, I am frankly terrified of setting myself up to be a constant outsider in my own home (eg, the only one not singing songs or praying on Shabbis), or else pressured (not overtly by her, but by the need to present a consistent environment for the kids) to go through motions and say/do things I don't believe in and never will, or having a first son and not being able to bring myself to have him circumcised and causing all sorts of major fallout at exactly the wrong time.

I know intermarriage is steeply on the rise, especially among Jews, and they somehow make it work. But I also have read ample examples of people describing the ways in which it didn't work. I also know that there's 1001 things that could make us not work as an actual couple long before kids enter the picture. In the month or so that we've been talking about it, I've mentally gone back and forth between "she's a good person and what you're looking for and it's not going to be an issue, you're just being overly picky" and "you'd be settling for a Tevye marriage and giving in on core beliefs and will spend the next 30 years stressed and unhappy in your own home" at least 20 times, sometimes multiple times in one day. And... I really don't know what to do with that.

We've discussed me doing essentially "Jewish exposure therapy" to see if my discomfort goes down while we date (start keeping kosher now, mezusah's on my house, etc., my idea, not hers), but that's of course a far cry from trying to raise kids that way. I am really not sure what to do with this situation.

My dad (when I talked to him about it) joked that it would be an interfaith marriage between two Jews, which is somehow a very Jewish thing to do. Which is pretty accurate.

Has anyone else had a simliar-ish situation, or know people in one? How did it work out? Any other experience/knowledge/wisdom/thoughts to share that may be useful/helpful/insightful/something? I'm open to whatever at this point, because I just don't know what the right thing to do is.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Hello Crell,

Welcome to RF.

Just a few follow-up questions:

1) If your wife and children keep kosher, will it be a problem for you to keep kosher, too? at least in the house?
2) Same question for Shabbis?

Regarding the "exposure therapy". I honestly think it's a bad idea.

Lastly ( I'm being brief ); I have known several couples where one person of the couple is significantly more observant; and I'm sorry to report... all three ended in divorce.

The cause of the divorce wasn't completely religious; but, essentially, one person was much more rigid than the other, and the couple stopped working together and cooperating with each other. In all three cases the relationship lacked compromise.

Neutral Name

Hi folks. I am facing an religious/ethical quandry, and I am looking for others who have experiences to share that may prove useful. It's a bit of a tricky situation so let me explain.

I was raised Jew-ish. American Reform, barely observant household growing up. Had a Bar Mitzvah and then skedaddled from the synagogue as quickly as I could and never looked back. In all honestly I never believed in God, and have long since stopped going through the scarce few motions I still kept (eg, Yom Kippur fast). At this point I am somewhat uncomfortable around religious ceremonies of any kind, and participating in them makes me even more uncomfortable. I feel uncomfortable even calling myself Jewish (I go back and forth depending on the context), and am not willing to say prayers that I do not believe to a sky gremlin I don't believe in. I'm at the point where I had long ago decided that I wouldn't circumcise my children, even though it's common even in secular American culture, because I saw it as genital mutilation.

I have been alternately friends and friends-with-extras with a woman for over 9 years now. She was raised Modern Orthodox Judaism. Because of the religious disconnect we've never figured we would ever make a good couple, but we're incredibly compatible in a great many other ways (including some that are really hard to find, as we both have some fringe interests). We have both tried to find other people to date, but finding anyone to our liking has been a challenge, despite both of us actively trying to encourage and support the other in doing so. In the past year or so she's had a crisis of faith, or rather of observance, and has (on her own, not because of me) essentially downgraded herself to what I would describe as Reform-with-extras. (Kosher, Shabbis, Yom Kippur, etc. but the Torah versions of those without the add-ons from the Talmud.)

She has recently asked/suggested that we should get together as a couple for real, since, well, after 9 years we're halfway there already and with her substantially lower level of religiousness we might be able to meet in the middle. Were it just her and I it would be able to handle only cooking with kosher meat and scrubbing the house for Passover and otherwise just rolling with it, but of course the bigger question is kids, which we both want. She feels strongly about raising them Jewish, speaking Hebrew at home so they're bilingual, at least them keeping Shabbis even if I mostly don't, them eating kosher even if I don't, etc.

I am... torn. On the one hand, what she describes is about the most agnostic one can get and still be Jewish. And while we're not a perfect match we are close enough that, were it not for the religion factor, we would probably have started dating for reals a long time ago. On the other, I am frankly terrified of setting myself up to be a constant outsider in my own home (eg, the only one not singing songs or praying on Shabbis), or else pressured (not overtly by her, but by the need to present a consistent environment for the kids) to go through motions and say/do things I don't believe in and never will, or having a first son and not being able to bring myself to have him circumcised and causing all sorts of major fallout at exactly the wrong time.

I know intermarriage is steeply on the rise, especially among Jews, and they somehow make it work. But I also have read ample examples of people describing the ways in which it didn't work. I also know that there's 1001 things that could make us not work as an actual couple long before kids enter the picture. In the month or so that we've been talking about it, I've mentally gone back and forth between "she's a good person and what you're looking for and it's not going to be an issue, you're just being overly picky" and "you'd be settling for a Tevye marriage and giving in on core beliefs and will spend the next 30 years stressed and unhappy in your own home" at least 20 times, sometimes multiple times in one day. And... I really don't know what to do with that.

We've discussed me doing essentially "Jewish exposure therapy" to see if my discomfort goes down while we date (start keeping kosher now, mezusah's on my house, etc., my idea, not hers), but that's of course a far cry from trying to raise kids that way. I am really not sure what to do with this situation.

My dad (when I talked to him about it) joked that it would be an interfaith marriage between two Jews, which is somehow a very Jewish thing to do. Which is pretty accurate.

Has anyone else had a simliar-ish situation, or know people in one? How did it work out? Any other experience/knowledge/wisdom/thoughts to share that may be useful/helpful/insightful/something? I'm open to whatever at this point, because I just don't know what the right thing to do is.

My heart goes out to you. I'm not Jewish but I believe in God. That is my religion. So you are an atheist. Don't apologize. I grew up an atheist raised by a biologist. I am also a former Christian but now spiritual only. I believe in God. My son is a devout atheist. He never apologizes and I don't expect him to.

As far as being Jewish, you are of Jewish heritage but you are clearly not of the Jewish faith. There is a difference. If you are an atheist, don't say prayers if you don't believe. Don't try to be what other people want you to be. Be yourself. It is kind of like coming out of the the closet. You are in a closet just with religion not sexuality.

I didn't circumcise my son but I was an atheist at that time and didn't want him to go through the pain of it. I would do the same now.

I would say that you should stay with your lady. People of different religions do get together as you said. Just understand that you have differences. I've been married twice. My first husband was Catholic. My second husband was Baptist turned everything. I just listened to them tell me their beliefs. I never thought I had to believe as they did. All people have some sort of differences. Unless religion is paramount to her, it should work out. You do need to ask yourself how important it is to her.

My biggest question for you is why is it so important to you? I'm not judging you. I want you to think about what you are feeling. If I chose to be an atheist, I would be, no big deal. I would just do it. It is very difficult for you. So, something is going on there. Is it that everyone you know is devout Jewish and you are worried about losing friends and family?
You were never really raised Jewish. If you only had a few occasions where you were exposed to Judaism, then you were basically raised atheist. Can you look at your parents and see why they didn't have you more actively
involved in the Jewish faith? That might answer some of your questions.

I can't think of anything else to tell you right now but please write back if I can help in any way. I would love to do so.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
calling myself Jewish
First, welcome to RF.

I was born Jewish so I call myself Jewish. It's something that comes with birth. Practicing the religion of Judaism is something else.

I take from what you've written that you don't want to live as a hypocrite, pretending to be something you truly are not. I can't argue with that in the least. It's important to not pretend to be something you are truly not. But to me it's also possible to respect each other's beliefs, honor the other's person's belief because of love and to be a couple.

But while I can't speak to your specific situation, my situation might be a cousin of yours.

I started off life as an atheist Jew. My parents did not hide their lack of belief but went to Synagogue for weddings and such because family was important to them. I even refused to have a Bar Mitzvah because it was meaningless to me.

But I did and still do feel a tie to the history and culture of the Jewish people and their struggles against bigotry and much worse.

When I married, it was to someone whose ancestors had been Christian but who had no belief either.

One day I started becoming interested in the meaning and purpose of life and after a search became a believer in God and even more in the Divinity of Avatar Meher Baba. Since this was a change, it caused a ripple in our relationship, but we overcame it.

We've never had children, so I can't speak to that from experience. But I know couples from two different religions who exposed children to both and let the kids know that it was their choice when they grew up. Marriage between a believer and non-believer could I think work the same way.

But what was critical was for us to respect each other's opinions without compromising our own.

For example, she's always had a Christmas tree, not for the religious aspects, but because it was part of her upbringing. So we've kept that.

And I've, for example, gone on pilgrimages to India which she has accepted.

The only other thing I can think to reemphasize is the importance of self-giving love and the dedication to overcoming difficulties and differences. It sounds like you are working on that currently so my wishes for a great outcome.

You're taking way too much credit and responsibility for the way your kids are going to live their lives and turn out. Children are not blank slates when they're born, and their neshamah will choose you for reasons of its own. Maybe you will raise children who are conflicted about their faith because that's how they were on the other side and they shall choose to be in your family for that very reason? Maybe you and they will work through things together? And in some things the child instructs the parent. Your wife may have the best of intentions to raise the kids as you've said, but I doubt she would insist if it made them unhappy. She will adapt, accept and love them for who they are, and they her, and you too, with spiritual doubts and all. In relationships people accept each other despite their imperfections and people don't expect them to change for their sake. If she will take you as you are, and you her, without trying to change each other to some imaginary ideal in your heads, then you will make it work and be exactly the parents your children were looking for. Good luck.

Neutral Name

I'm sorry. I should have told you welcome. Glad to see you here.

Neutral Name

First, welcome to RF.

I was born Jewish so I call myself Jewish. It's something that comes with birth. Practicing the religion of Judaism is something else.

I take from what you've written that you don't want to live as a hypocrite, pretending to be something you truly are not. I can't argue with that in the least. It's important to not pretend to be something you are truly not. But to me it's also possible to respect each other's beliefs, honor the other's person's belief because of love and to be a couple.

But while I can't speak to your specific situation, my situation might be a cousin of yours.

I started off life as an atheist Jew. My parents did not hide their lack of belief but went to Synagogue for weddings and such because family was important to them. I even refused to have a Bar Mitzvah because it was meaningless to me.

But I did and still do feel a tie to the history and culture of the Jewish people and their struggles against bigotry and much worse.

When I married, it was to someone whose ancestors had been Christian but who had no belief either.

One day I started becoming interested in the meaning and purpose of life and after a search became a believer in God and even more in the Divinity of Avatar Meher Baba. Since this was a change, it caused a ripple in our relationship, but we overcame it.

We've never had children, so I can't speak to that from experience. But I know couples from two different religions who exposed children to both and let the kids know that it was their choice when they grew up. Marriage between a believer and non-believer could I think work the same way.

But what was critical was for us to respect each other's opinions without compromising our own.

For example, she's always had a Christmas tree, not for the religious aspects, but because it was part of her upbringing. So we've kept that.

And I've, for example, gone on pilgrimages to India which she has accepted.

The only other thing I can think to reemphasize is the importance of self-giving love and the dedication to overcoming difficulties and differences. It sounds like you are working on that currently so my wishes for a great outcome.

Absolutely beautiful! Can I just add that I have heard of couples or maybe known some who agreed to raise the children a certain religion. One was chosen and agreed upon before the children came.

Crell

Hi folks. It looks like the forum didn't notify me there were so many responses! Sorry for the delayed reply here.

@dybmh She would want to keep the house kosher and she and the kids eat kosher. She doesn't care what I eat out of the house as long as the house is kept kosher. However, she's gone back to a very originalist definition therein. For instance, the commandment is no eating a calf in its mother's milk, so she's said she's now OK with chicken-and-dairy since chickens don't have milk. (We're both lactose intolerant, though, so won't have much dairy around to begin with.) Mainly the issue there is just that kosher organic meat is decidedly not cheap.

Shabbis is much the same. She is literalist, so for instance she's decided that electricity is OK and thus electric cars are OK, but not gas cars because those are fire. She wants Shabbis to be explicitly family time with only the rudimentary rules for her and the kids, but I help enforce that for the kids. (No creating, no fire, etc., but driving to a museum for a family day is fine.)

I'm fairly OK with that.

@Diana Montgomery I think you may misunderstand. I have no interest in connecting with the Jewish community; she does. Her being Jewish doesn't bother me. The question comes in with kids, primarily, and the big one is circumcision, where I am still highly uncomfortable with the concept from the get-go. That's not something you can really "meet in the middle" on.

@RabbiO I am open to it. Go ahead and DM me on here and if appropriate I can give you my email. Thanks.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@dybmh She would want to keep the house kosher and she and the kids eat kosher. She doesn't care what I eat out of the house as long as the house is kept kosher. However, she's gone back to a very originalist definition therein. For instance, the commandment is no eating a calf in its mother's milk, so she's said she's now OK with chicken-and-dairy since chickens don't have milk. (We're both lactose intolerant, though, so won't have much dairy around to begin with.) Mainly the issue there is just that kosher organic meat is decidedly not cheap.

Shabbis is much the same. She is literalist, so for instance she's decided that electricity is OK and thus electric cars are OK, but not gas cars because those are fire. She wants Shabbis to be explicitly family time with only the rudimentary rules for her and the kids, but I help enforce that for the kids. (No creating, no fire, etc., but driving to a museum for a family day is fine.)

I'm fairly OK with that.

OK. What I am reading from the above is that she is somewhat non-conventional in her approach to Halacha? :) It's probably a good thing considering the situation; because there is a practical / pragmatic element in what you are describing. Also, based on what you said, I'm guessing that she would not shift dramatically towards orthodoxy which would require a more regimented approach to food, the kitchen, and family activities on the weekend?

All in all, it sounds like it could work... I wouldn't let the religious / spiritual aspects interfere with a future relationship and starting a family.

I wish you all the best,

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Welcome to RF, @Crell

I have no particular insight into your situation, and no real familiarity with Jewish culture, but I wish you the best in the present and future.

If I may, you make it sound like you and her are remarkably compatible all things considered. And I get the sense that your father, at least, has all but given you his blessing already.

So maybe your exposure idea is meritory. Although I would call it acclimation instead. Do you think that you and your potential wife may agree on a goal for a shared life and on how much input from the community you are willing to accept and conform to?

Frankly, I get the sense that you are so incredibly compatible that the religious disconnect may be a self-inflicted illusion at the end of the day.