• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus' Four Failed Prophecies About Him Returning In The Lifetimes Of His Apostles

John1.12

Free gift
What an epic failure on God's part.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life. ... John 3:16

And yet 2/3's of the world will perish. Jesus should be proud of dad.
No ,its the whosoever that believe s on him should not perish ,but have eternal life . You for example will not perish and have eternal life ,if you believe on him.

John1.12

Free gift
It's fun debating with young-earth creationists isn't it. It's very easy of course; one does have to think too deeply when debating literalists. I expect you're speaking of ...
"Look! The Bible says there is no God!" Got you!
Easily refuted of course. A child could do it.
(In fact, I've seen a child do it).

To which interpretation do you refer?
What do you mean by ' literalists' ?

John1.12

Free gift
Here is something most Christians don't know:

Jesus promised no less than FOUR times in the gospels that he would return to earth and his apostles would live to see it, yet he never showed up.

Paul believed fervently that Jesus would return in his lifetime:

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then WE who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord." 1 Thessolonians 4:16-17

Now Paul may have put this idea into the heads of the gospel writers when they started writing the gospels. They had Jesus make these four prophesies that he would return before the apostles died:

“For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds. Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom. (Matthew 16: 27, 28)

For me, this is the one that cannot be excused away with rationalizations like "Jesus was referring to the future generation", or "Jesus was referring to God's time which could be thousands of years in the future". We have Jesus referring directly to the people listening to him when he made that failed prophecy "some of you standing here will not taste death until you see me return"

...they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. (Matthew 24: 25-34)

“Then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And then He will send forth the angels, and will gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest end of the earth to the farthest end of heaven. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place…
(Mark 13:26-30)

Here in Chap 10 Jesus is giving his apostles instructions on how they should conduct themselves when he sends them out to do God's work

Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes. (Matthew 10:23)

Naturally Jesus never showed up. Why? Because we can assume he never said he would return--this was all invention by the gospel writers probably based on Paul's belief Jesus would return and Paul would live to see it. There are five rationalizations Christians have come up with for Jesus' no-show. All are patently ridiculous but you can read them in the link below:

Jesus’ Failed Prophecy About His Return
///Paul believed fervently that Jesus would return in his lifetime:

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then WE who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord." 1 Thessolonians 4:16-17///

We ? The' WE ' is Christians. The body of believers.Not Just those who Paul was addressing.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What do you mean by ' literalists' ?
Those that make the error of reading the Bible too literally. There exists a whole range of literalists who's beliefs have been refuted. The looniest are the Flat Earthers'. Not all, but most of the Flat Earther's are Christians that base their beliefs largely on the Bible. Read literally and in context it only describes a Flat Earth in word and deed.

YEC's are next. The Earth is roughly 4.55 billion years old.

Then OEC's. Creationism was refuted over 100 years ago.

Somewhere in between you have the believers in Noah's Ark. That was refuted by Christian geologists long before Darwin showed up.

One could count those that believe in the Exodus. Those that think that Job was a real person. And various other stories of the Bible.

John1.12

Free gift
Those that make the error of reading the Bible too literally. There exists a whole range of literalists who's beliefs have been refuted. The looniest are the Flat Earthers'. Not all, but most of the Flat Earther's are Christians that base their beliefs largely on the Bible. Read literally and in context it only describes a Flat Earth in word and deed.

YEC's are next. The Earth is roughly 4.55 billion years old.

Then OEC's. Creationism was refuted over 100 years ago.

Somewhere in between you have the believers in Noah's Ark. That was refuted by Christian geologists long before Darwin showed up.

One could count those that believe in the Exodus. Those that think that Job was a real person. And various other stories of the Bible.
Oh I must have missed the Council where this was officially decided .And I don't know any flat earthers who are Christian. The bible refutes a flat earth .

John1.12

Free gift
What? Why do you make such nonsensical posts. It was not "decided" that is merely a general description. Why do you want everything written down? The real world does not work that way.
Only to highlight your confusion. When you go to a museum and read the information next to the exhibit , how do you read it ? Poetically lol or literally? Naturally as written ? This is such a silly argument. The bible' literally ' tells you " this is a parable....." ect .

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
@samtonga43 , you jumped on me for saying that by creationist standards the Bible refutes the existence of God. You should have asked me why I said that. Quote mining is quoting out of context and changing the meaning of a quote. It is a form of lying. If I was to seriously claim that the Bible refutes God and used those 12 (actually more) verses quoted out of context I would be lying since I clearly know better, or at the very least should know better.

Creationists do the same thing. They quote scientists out of context and then pretend that they have refuted evolution. They also do not provide proper links to their sources in the hope that others cannot find the original and see how they are lying. When they do that I point out how by their standards they have refuted the Bible. With the use of Google search their sources are usually found rather easily, but in the days before the internet this actually worked sometimes. At least in debates. Creationists would lie and get away with it because they could not be fact checked rapidly enough. If I do this I will sometimes pick out a particular verse and have that in mind when I quote the Bible. I have found examples that I can quote directly and no creationist has been able to find it when I play their game of giving just the Bible as the source just as they will give just a name as the source.

The idea is that by stooping to their tactics I can "prove" that God does not exist according to the Bible. What this actually does is to show that the tactic does not work. It of course does not refute God,

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Only to highlight your confusion. When you go to a museum and read the information next to the exhibit , how do you read it ? Poetically lol or literally? Naturally as written ? This is such a silly argument. The bible' literally ' tells you " this is a parable....." ect .
Yes, you do make silly arguments.

You do not seem to realize that there is a lot of poetry in the Bible. Read the Song of Solomon some day. Signs in museums are not poetry. They are not fables. They are not allegories. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Bible is a science book. That leads to a Flat Earth belief.

You already said that God cannot lie. That means that one cannot read Genesis literally. Of course you refuse to learn the science that would allow you to understand that. That is merely hiding your head in the sand. If your God cannot lie then reading the Bible literally is an error.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh I must have missed the Council where this was officially decided .And I don't know any flat earthers who are Christian. The bible refutes a flat earth .
More silliness and ignorance.

Why don't you ask how we know these facts? Of course you would have to learn some science to understand. Unfortunately I have never met a creationist that is not afraid to learn. Fear rules their lives.

John1.12

Free gift
More silliness and ignorance.

Why don't you ask how we know these facts? Of course you would have to learn some science to understand. Unfortunately I have never met a creationist that is not afraid to learn. Fear rules their lives.
Science thinks something can come from Nothing . But thankfully when they are not trying to come up with anything to do with origins they do some good stuff.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Science thinks something can come from Nothing . But thankfully when they are not trying to come up with anything to do with origins they do some good stuff.
Citation needed.

But thank you for admitting that abiogenesis and evolution is true. You moved the goalposts way past what we were discussing. That is essentially an admission of defeat.