• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Camp

Ðanisty

I was a summer camp run by the denomination I was raised in. In theory it was supposed to be a nice, safe, moral place to send your kids. In practice it sometimes was. Certainly during the Bible studies and so forth it was okay. But the supposedly "adult" counselors (college age) would either turn a blind eye or actually participate in some very awful practical jokes. Anyone who looked or acted the least outside the average was teased, and no adult corrected them. And the kids were not well-monitored.

And if you looked or acted outside a certain norm, you got teased, including jostled about and even assaulted, while the adults at most sat there like Roo and said "be nice, kids." The fat kids had it particularly bad. The counselors often helped in the abuse.

I thought it was particularly amusing (not) the one night where one kid got buckets of water dumped on him a 4am, drenching everything -- all his clothes, sleeping bag, etc. with the counselor's encouragement, and then was somehow expected to sleep in all that mess. Since I was awake I counted no less than 3 couples having a go out in the woods. At least two of them hurriedly put their clothes back on, separated and tried to sneak back during the ruckus, the the other couple was farther off and didn't bother, but the sounds were rather unmistakable. :rolleyes:

That was a fairly typical night.

Of course, the next morning we would all have to get up and act real holy and say grace and read our Bible passages and sing hymns.

The counselors really needed better training and more management from the adults in charge, I think.

My mother thought for years that I had called a week into the camp to be brought home because I was just homesick. It wasn't until this past June that I disabused her of that notion and gave her the full story of everything that went on. She asked me why I hadn't told her then (this was decades ago) and I said I had tried, but she told me to shut up. Ah...parents. :D

But to try and relate this to Jesus Camp, it was not like that. We didn't have to endure lectures about how awful other people were. The most we had to listen to was boring sermonettes about how angry God was about how sinful we all were.

Too bad the people in charge weren't more angry about our sins, imnsho.

Really it was no different than the private HS run by the denomination. As many problems as there were in the public schools at the time, the little angels from the private school were up to more no good, esp. in the realm of drugs and getting started early on that family. Well, that's what you get when everything is a taboo and repressed, I suppose.

I was hurt during a race riot in middle school, and called my brother from the HS rather than Mom. She still doesn't know this. I called my brother to hide the fact that I got hurt, because she would've shipped me off to that nice "safe" school. No thanks. I would've gone to the local Catholic school happily, but she would've preferred her own denomination and would not have listened to me, so I just did my own first aid. I probably should've had some stitches, but butterfly bandages and being very careful to avoid infection did the trick.
I'm not surprised by anything you've posted here.

Some people get all nostalgic for their childhood, but I can't say I ever have. I couldn't wait to escape it, frankly.
Yeah, other people think my childhood was pretty good because I had a decent home life, but honestly, I hated my childhood. It was like leaving the house was volunteering for torture.

Runt

Do these kids understand that what they're being told to do: "Lay down your life", "take back America" etc. are not to be taken literally? Kids generally don't know how to abstract, especially the younger they are, and can take these highly metaphoric things literally; and sometimes take them to a bad end.
The younger ones may have had a difficulty at first understanding the metaphor, as might some of the older children if they were mentally disabled or ill, but the older ones seemed to understand that their purpose was to tell people that Jesus loves and wants them, and not to pick up a gun and shoot them.

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
That movie scared me knowing those people are fighting for political power.

I also wish, in the bowling alley, instead of that little girl giving that lady the tract, it could have been me sitting there. Not only would I have naturally said something like "Jesus hates me" to her, but the presence of the camera would have increased my reaction to include lines such as "Jesus is the great deceiver, not Satan" or "Satan loves you, and wants you to be happy in this life, and the next." And other culture shock stuff like that.

UnityNow101

The problem with most of these Jesus Camp types is that they are the very people that fail to understand the very words of their great book. They remain heedless to the call, steadfast in sin, and look to create discord throughout the land, and never peace. If Jesus was here today, would he stand among those people that you see on the Jesus Camp documentary? Or would He be sitting among the poor and needy at the local soup kitchen? Would He be saluting a cut-out of George W. Bush or would He be helping the people in the Middle East that are suffering?

Runt

That movie scared me knowing those people are fighting for political power.

I also wish, in the bowling alley, instead of that little girl giving that lady the tract, it could have been me sitting there. Not only would I have naturally said something like "Jesus hates me" to her, but the presence of the camera would have increased my reaction to include lines such as "Jesus is the great deceiver, not Satan" or "Satan loves you, and wants you to be happy in this life, and the next." And other culture shock stuff like that.
I suspect that, were you the individual who the young girl approached, and you said such things, your interaction with her would not have been included in the video.

love

tri-polar optimist
I have never attended a "Jesus Camp" or saw the movie.
I was in the Boy Scouts.
My scout master was a man named Bert Poland. He was a professional forester with International Paper. Our camping trips are memorable to me still. There was order and discipline and a lot of fun for everyone.
At camporees I saw other troops who had less respected or no leadership.
It's bad when the big and stupid rule.

Hope

Princesinha
I went to a couple Christian "camps" or "retreats" as a teenager, and mostly try to suppress the memories. The kids/teenagers were incredibly cliquey, and I was one of the outcasts. For a long time I had an incredibly skewed view of God due to the way I was treated by supposedly "good," "kind," and "loving" Christians. I also had to go to a "family conference" every year, where I have painful memories of girls making fun of me and my cousin and throwing grass in our faces. :eek: I don't recall anything like smoking or drinking or sex going on, but just overall snobbishness and meanness.

Thankfully, God has redeemed my past and shown me that those people were very poor examples of Christians, and did not at all reflect His love.

Kcnorwood

I felt sorry for those kids they will never be able to think for themselves & I was angry at the paretns for pushing thire belifes on them!