• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus and Paul in Kazantzakis' The Last Temptation of Christ

sealchan

Here is Scorsese's take on a scene from Nikos Kazantzakis' story of the life of Jesus of Nazareth The Last Temptation of Christ. It is a scene where Paul is preaching the gospel and Jesus, who has come down off the cross through a vision inspired by Satan in the form of a young girl, comes to protest what Paul is preaching.

For me this scene is profound and it helped shaped my understanding of the power and limitations of faith. Any and all sincere comments and discussions welcome

sealchan

This scene, for me, shows the precise boundary line between literal truth and spiritual truth. The two are not the same and the two play by different rules.

Certainly this will seem like rank cognitive dissonance to some, but set against the choice of no faith or a literalistic faith that logically has to deny the faith of others, I think that this is really the only reasonable option.

Consider that such stories as the resurrection of Christ have been so deeply influential and motivational for so many years yet the story was made up by sincere believers in God.

I also think that it, implicitly, has a lot to say about how the human brain processes truth and requires more than one way of knowing truth to get a satisfactory perspective. This fact may even be compelled by the logic of the evolution of the human mind as a complex, adaptive system capable of maintaining homeostasis amidst an ever changing reality in which it is dynamically entwined.

leov

This scene, for me, shows the precise boundary line between literal truth and spiritual truth. The two are not the same and the two play by different rules.

Certainly this will seem like rank cognitive dissonance to some, but set against the choice of no faith or a literalistic faith that logically has to deny the faith of others, I think that this is really the only reasonable option.

Consider that such stories as the resurrection of Christ have been so deeply influential and motivational for so many years yet the story was made up by sincere believers in God.

I also think that it, implicitly, has a lot to say about how the human brain processes truth and requires more than one way of knowing truth to get a satisfactory perspective. This fact may even be compelled by the logic of the evolution of the human mind as a complex, adaptive system capable of maintaining homeostasis amidst an ever changing reality in which it is dynamically entwined.
Paul's message: "to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you..."Cal.1:27.

sealchan

Yep. You quote Paul who was probably quoting Epimenides (or the Libyan Callimachus who was probably quoting Epimenides). Kazantkakis was a Cretan.

Do you mean this literally, figuratively or both?

Calling someone a liar is not an argument. It is Bulverism.

Bulverism - Wikipedia

Besides Kazantzakis is writing literature...in what sense is he lying?

sealchan

Paul's message: "to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you..."Cal.1:27.

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of this quote to this thread.

Terry Sampson

Do you mean this literally, figuratively or both?

Literally:
You [leov] quote Paul who was probably quoting Epimenides (or the Libyan Callimachus who was probably quoting Epimenides).
Literally:
Kazantkakis was a Cretan.

Screenshot_2019-12-03 Nikos Kazantzakis - Wikipedia.png