• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus’ Gift of Catholic Anathema is Used to ‘Cut Off’ Evil Members From the Body of His Church

Steven Merten

Matthew 5:29 Occasions of Impurity.
If your right eye is your trouble, gouge it out and throw it away! Better you lose part of your body than to have it all cast into Gehenna. Again if your right hand is your trouble, cut it off and throw it away! Better to lose part of your body than to have it all cast into Gehenna."

ANATHEMA

In passing this sentence, the pontiff is vested in amice, stole, and a violet cope, wearing his mitre, and assisted by twelve priests clad in their surplices and holding lighted candles. He takes his seat in front of the altar or in some other suitable place, amid pronounces the formula of anathema which ends with these words: Wherefore in the name of God the All-powerful, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, of the Blessed Peter, Prince of the Apostles, and of all the saints, in virtue of the power which has been given us of binding and loosing in Heaven and on earth, we deprive N-- himself and all his accomplices and all his abettors of the Communion of the Body and Blood of our Lord, we separate him from the society of all Christians, we exclude him from the bosom of our Holy Mother the Church in Heaven and on earth, we declare him excommunicated and anathematized and we judge him condemned to eternal fire with Satan and his angels and all the reprobate , so long as he will not burst the fetters of the demon, do penance and satisfy the Church; we deliver him to Satan to mortify his body, that his soul may be saved on the day of judgment."...
...He who dares to despise our decision, let him be stricken with anathema maranatha, i.e. may he be damned at the coming of the Lord, may he have his place with Judas Iscariot, he and his companions.
Quoted from: New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia - Anathema

Matthew 18:5
"Whoever welcomes one such child for my sake welcomes me. On the other hand, it would be better for anyone who leads astray one of these little ones who believes in me, to be drown by a millstone around his neck, in the depths of the sea. What terrible things will come on the world through scandal! It is inevitable that scandal should occur. Nonetheless, woe to that man through whom scandal comes! If your hand or foot is your undoing, cut it off and throw it from you! Better to enter life maimed or crippled than be thrown with two hands or feet into endless fire. If your eye is your downfall, gouge it out and cast it from you! Better to enter life with one eye than be thrown with both into fiery Gehenna.

Jesus Commissions His Apostles, and their Successors, to protect His Bride the Church from evildoers, with Catholic Anathema. Jesus left His own weapon, the ‘Sword of His Mouth’, which is Jesus lips binding sinners to their sins, for His Apostles to use to protect His Bride on earth. Jesus teaches us that it is better to anathematize evildoers from the Body of His Church, than to allow them to pull the whole Body of His Church into hell.

God’s term to ‘Cut Off’, means to put a member of the body of people to death, either physical death or spiritual death. God uses His term ‘Cut Off’, about 90 times in Old Testament, to mean put someone to spiritual or physical death. God gives His to ‘Cut Off’ Commands, to spiritually protect the ‘Body of His People’.

Leviticus 20 Penalties for Various Sins.
The LORD said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites: Anyone, whether an Israelite or an alien residing in Israel who gives any of his offspring to Molech shall be put to death. Let his fellow citizens stone him. I myself will turn against such a man and cut him off from the body of his people: for in giving his offspring to Molech, he has defiled my sanctuary and profaned my holy name."

Numbers 15:30
"But anyone who sins defiantly, whether he be a native or and alien, insults the LORD, and shall be cut off from among his people. Since he has despised the word of the LORD and has broken his commandment, he must be cut off. He has only himself to blame."

The Sabbath-breaker. While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was discovered gathering wood on the sabbath day. Those who caught him at it brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly. But they kept him in custody, for there was no clear decision as to what should be done with him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "This man shall be put to death; let the whole community stone him outside the camp." So the whole community led him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD had commanded Moses.

Jesus Wills His Apostolic Successors to use Catholic Anathema to ‘Cut Off’ evildoers from the life of the Body of His Church, to Protect His Church from evildoers pulling the whole Body of His Church, into hell.

Mark 9:40
Anyone who is not against us is with us. Any man who gives you a drink of water because you belong to Christ will not, I assure you, go without his reward. But it would be better if anyone who leads astray one of these simple believers were to be plunged in the sea with a great millstone fastened around his neck.

"If your hand is your difficulty, cut it off! Better for you to enter life maimed than to keep both hands and enter Gehenna with its unquenchable fire. If your foot is your undoing, cut it off! Better for you to enter life crippled than to be thrown into Gehenna with both feet. If your eye is your downfall, tear it out! Better you enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to be thrown with both eyes into Gehenna, where 'the worm dies not and the fire is never extingusihed.'

sooda

Veteran Member
Matthew 5:29 Occasions of Impurity.
If your right eye is your trouble, gouge it out and throw it away! Better you lose part of your body than to have it all cast into Gehenna. Again if your right hand is your trouble, cut it off and throw it away! Better to lose part of your body than to have it all cast into Gehenna."

ANATHEMA

In passing this sentence, the pontiff is vested in amice, stole, and a violet cope, wearing his mitre, and assisted by twelve priests clad in their surplices and holding lighted candles. He takes his seat in front of the altar or in some other suitable place, amid pronounces the formula of anathema which ends with these words: Wherefore in the name of God the All-powerful, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, of the Blessed Peter, Prince of the Apostles, and of all the saints, in virtue of the power which has been given us of binding and loosing in Heaven and on earth, we deprive N-- himself and all his accomplices and all his abettors of the Communion of the Body and Blood of our Lord, we separate him from the society of all Christians, we exclude him from the bosom of our Holy Mother the Church in Heaven and on earth, we declare him excommunicated and anathematized and we judge him condemned to eternal fire with Satan and his angels and all the reprobate , so long as he will not burst the fetters of the demon, do penance and satisfy the Church; we deliver him to Satan to mortify his body, that his soul may be saved on the day of judgment."...
...He who dares to despise our decision, let him be stricken with anathema maranatha, i.e. may he be damned at the coming of the Lord, may he have his place with Judas Iscariot, he and his companions.

"Whoever welcomes one such child for my sake welcomes me. On the other hand, it would be better for anyone who leads astray one of these little ones who believes in me, to be drown by a millstone around his neck, in the depths of the sea. What terrible things will come on the world through scandal! It is inevitable that scandal should occur. Nonetheless, woe to that man through whom scandal comes! If your hand or foot is your undoing, cut it off and throw it from you! Better to enter life maimed or crippled than be thrown with two hands or feet into endless fire. If your eye is your downfall, gouge it out and cast it from you! Better to enter life with one eye than be thrown with both into fiery Gehenna.

Jesus Commissions His Apostles, and their Successors, to protect His Bride the Church from evildoers, with Catholic Anathema. Jesus left His own weapon, the ‘Sword of His Mouth’, which is Jesus lips binding sinners to their sins, for His Apostles to use to protect His Bride on earth. Jesus teaches us that it is better to anathematize evildoers from the Body of His Church, than to allow them to pull the whole Body of His Church into hell.

God’s term to ‘Cut Off’, means to put a member of the body of people to death, either physical death or spiritual death. God uses His term ‘Cut Off’, about 90 times in Old Testament, to mean put someone to spiritual or physical death. God gives His to ‘Cut Off’ Commands, to spiritually protect the ‘Body of His People’.

Leviticus 20 Penalties for Various Sins.
The LORD said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites: Anyone, whether an Israelite or an alien residing in Israel who gives any of his offspring to Molech shall be put to death. Let his fellow citizens stone him. I myself will turn against such a man and cut him off from the body of his people: for in giving his offspring to Molech, he has defiled my sanctuary and profaned my holy name."

Numbers 15:30
"But anyone who sins defiantly, whether he be a native or and alien, insults the LORD, and shall be cut off from among his people. Since he has despised the word of the LORD and has broken his commandment, he must be cut off. He has only himself to blame."

The Sabbath-breaker. While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was discovered gathering wood on the sabbath day. Those who caught him at it brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly. But they kept him in custody, for there was no clear decision as to what should be done with him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "This man shall be put to death; let the whole community stone him outside the camp." So the whole community led him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD had commanded Moses.

Jesus Wills His Apostolic Successors to use Catholic Anathema to ‘Cut Off’ evildoers from the life of the Body of His Church, to Protect His Church from evildoers pulling the whole Body of His Church, into hell.

Anyone who is not against us is with us. Any man who gives you a drink of water because you belong to Christ will not, I assure you, go without his reward. But it would be better if anyone who leads astray one of these simple believers were to be plunged in the sea with a great millstone fastened around his neck.

"If your hand is your difficulty, cut it off! Better for you to enter life maimed than to keep both hands and enter Gehenna with its unquenchable fire. If your foot is your undoing, cut it off! Better for you to enter life crippled than to be thrown into Gehenna with both feet. If your eye is your downfall, tear it out! Better you enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to be thrown with both eyes into Gehenna, where 'the worm dies not and the fire is never extingusihed.'

I can't follow this. What is the point you are trying to make?

Steven Merten

I can't follow this. What is the point you are trying to make?
Hello sooda,
Jesus gave Pope St. Peter, and his Successors, His sworn oath that what ever sin they call upon Him to bind from earth, Jesus will bind in heaven. In the quotes above, Jesus Commands His Apostolic Successors to 'Cut Off'' evildoers from the spiritual life of Body of His Church, to protect Jesus Church from having the immoral conduct of evil members pull the whole Body of Jesus Church into hell. Catholic Anathema damns a person to hell. This protects Jesus' Church from other members thinking they will practice the same immoral conduct. Jesus also gave Pope St. Peter, and his Successors, His sworn oath that what ever sin they call upon Him to loost from earth, Jesus will loost in heaven. Thus if the anathematized repents, they can receive absolution from the Church and once again share in the spiritual life of the Body of Jesus' Church.

Matthew 16:13
Jesus replied, "Blest are you, Simon son of John! No mere man has revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. I for my part declare to you, you are 'Rock,' and on this rock I will build my church, and the jaws of death shall not prevail against it. I will entrust to you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you declare bound on earth shall be bound in heaven; whatever you declare loosed on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

John 20:20
At the sight of the Lord the disciples rejoiced. "Peace be with you," he said again. "As the Father has sent me, so I send you." Then he breathed on them and said: "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive men's sins, they are forgiven them; if you hold them bound, they are held bound."

Matthew 18:17
"If he ignores them, refer it to the church . If he ignores even the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector. I assure you, whatever you declare bound on earth shall be held bound in heaven, and whatever you declare loosed on earth shall be held loosed in heaven."

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Anathema has not existed, so I read, in the Canon Law of the Catholic Church since 1983.

It is of historical interest only.

Steven Merten

I'm in the "judge ye not..." camp that Jesus taught was morally correct based on his own teachings.

Luke 18:9 The Pharisee and the tax collector.
"Two people went up to the temple area to pray; one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, 'O God, I thank [eucharisteo] you that I am not like the rest of humanity--greedy, dishonest, adulterous--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income.' But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, 'O God, be merciful to me a sinner.' I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted."
Hello metis,
There is a big difference between God’s authorized Church Leaders, the Pharisees, condemning Jesus to Crucifixion and death, and God’s authorized Church Leader, Moses burning Korah in hell, through Anathema, to protect the Israelite Church from schism.

In Jesus’ Parable of ‘The Pharisees and the Tax Collector’, the Pharisee is exalting himself as saved, over the tax collector, which the Pharisee judges as unsaved. This is the evil judgement which Jesus condemns as evil.

St. Peter, using his Christ given staff of anathema to protect Christ’s flock on earth, is why Jesus empowered St. Peter and His Successors, with Jesus’ Power to bind sinners to their sins. Jesus wants His Bride Protected on earth.

Numbers 16
Then Moses became very angry and said to the LORD, "Pay no heed to their offering. I have never taken a single *** from them, nor have I wronged any one of them."

Korah. Moses said to Korah, "You and all your band shall appear before the LORD tomorrow--you and they and Aaron too. Then each of your two hundred and fifty followers shall take his own censer, put incense in it, and offer it to the LORD; and you and Aaron, each with his own censer, shall do the same." So then all took their censers, and laying incense on the fire they had put in them, they took their stand by the entrance of the meeting tent, the glory of the LORD appeared to the entire community, and the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, "Stand apart from this band, that I may consume them at once." But they fell prostrate and cried out, "O God, God of the spirits of all mankind, will one man's sin make you angry with the whole community?" The LORD answered Moses, "Speak to the community and tell them: Withdraw from the space around the Dwelling" [of Korah, Dathan and Abiram].

Punishment of Dathan and Abiram. Moses, followed by the elders of Israel, arose and went to Dathan and Abrim. Then he warned the community, "Keep away from the tents of these wicked men and do not touch anything that is theirs: otherwise you too will be swept away because of all their sins." When Dathan and Abiram had come out and were standing at the entrance of their tents with their wives and sons and little ones, Moses said, "This is how you shall know that it was the LORD who sent me to do all that I have done, and that it was not I who planned it: if these men die an ordinary death, merely suffering the fate common to all mankind, then it was not the LORD who sent me. But if the LORD does something entirely new, and the ground opens its mouth and swallows them alive down into the nether world, with all belonging to them, then you will know that these men have defied the LORD." No sooner had he finished saying all this than the ground beneath them split open, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them and their families [and all of Korah's men] and all their possessions. They went down alive to the nether world with all belonging to them; the earth closed over them, and they perished from the community.

Jude 1:10
These people, however, not only revile what they have no knowledge of but are corrupted through the very things they know by instinct, like brute animals. So much the worse for them! They have taken the road Cain took. They have abandoned themselves to Balaam's error for pay, and like Korah they perish in rebellion. These men are blotches on your Christian banquets. They are wild ocean waves, splashing their shameless deeds abroad like foam, or shooting stars for whom the thick gloom of darkness has been reserved forever.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The binding & loosening of sins deals with the sacrament of confession, and this is the right of the priesthood, no doubt. However, as laypeople, that is not our right, thus I'm into the "hate then sin, not the sinner"-camp.

Therefore, I strongly feel that we are to "judge ye not..." as Jesus commanded.

Steven Merten

The binding & loosening of sins deals with the sacrament of confession, and this is the right of the priesthood, no doubt. However, as laypeople, that is not our right, thus I'm into the "hate then sin, not the sinner"-camp.

Therefore, I strongly feel that we are to "judge ye not..." as Jesus commanded.

Hello metis,
There was a pacifist elementary school shooter. I asked, “Who called the police?” Wow! That got the conversation started! The pacifists judge that ‘Who are they to judge’. In the pacifists judgement, Jesus doesn't want, police or, a concerned, concealed carry, just, citizen, to kill anyone, not even this school shooter. In the pacifists judgement, Jesus is a pacifist like them.

What is your judgement?

Last edited:

Steven Merten

I accept the Just-War Theory that gives the right of self-defense for a country, and I extend that also for a person. Thus, I am not a pacifist.
Hello metis,
In your judgement, in which 'Just War Theory' wars did Jesus will us to kill in, for the protection of the innocent?

metis

Hello metis,
In your judgement, in which 'Just War Theory' wars did Jesus will us to kill in, for the protection of the innocent?
Sorry, but I'm really not interested in discussing this. Let me say that I used to be a pacifist since my main "earthly" mentor was and is Gandhi, but I gradually changed my mind because it goes against the Torah mandate to protect the innocent.

IOW, I don't believe God is a schizophrenic.

Steven Merten

Sorry, but I'm really not interested in discussing this. Let me say that I used to be a pacifist since my main "earthly" mentor was and is Gandhi, but I gradually changed my mind because it goes against the Torah mandate to protect the innocent.

IOW, I don't believe God is a schizophrenic.

Hello metis,
We are talking about your statement, ‘Therefore, I strongly feel that we are to "judge ye not..." as Jesus commanded.’ Do we agree that making the judgement call to kill the shooter murdering pacifist children on the playground is not violating Jesus’ ‘judge ye not..’?

The evil in Christian's hearts, in exalting themselves as saved, while they judge others as unsaved, is what Jesus is condemning in His "judge ye not...". Jesus is not talking about making the judgement calls to kill the bad guys in order to protect the innocent, in His "judge ye not..." . When a Pope anathematizes a person, as Jesus Commanded, for the protection of the Body of His Church, this is not going against Jesus ‘judge ye not..’ Jesus Commands His Church that it is better for Her to 'cut off' (anathematize) evildoer members from Her Body, than have the whole Body of His Church, pulled into hell, with all Her members (eyes, hands, feet), still in tact. "Better for you to enter life maimed than to keep both hands and enter Gehenna", "Better to enter life maimed or crippled than be thrown with two hands or feet into endless fire", "Better to enter life with one eye than be thrown with both into fiery Gehenna".

Do you judge this to be correct?

"Two people went up to the temple area to pray; one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, 'O God, I thank [eucharisteo] you that I am not like the rest of humanity--greedy, dishonest, adulterous--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income.' But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, 'O God, be merciful to me a sinner.' I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Verses

But it would be better if anyone who leads astray one of these simple believers were to be plunged in the sea with a great millstone fastened around his neck.

ANATHEMA

Last edited:

metis

Hello metis,
We are talking about your statement, ‘Therefore, I strongly feel that we are to "judge ye not..." as Jesus commanded.’ Do we agree that making the judgement call to kill the shooter murdering pacifist children on the playground is not violating Jesus’ ‘judge ye not..’?

The evil in Christian's hearts, in exalting themselves as saved, while they judge others as unsaved, is what Jesus is condemning in His "judge ye not...". Jesus is not talking about making the judgement calls to kill the bad guys in order to protect the innocent, in His "judge ye not..." . When a Pope anathematizes a person, as Jesus Commanded, for the protection of the Body of His Church, this is not going against Jesus ‘judge ye not..’ Jesus Commands His Church that it is better for Her to 'cut off' (anathematize) evildoer members from Her Body, than have the whole Body of His Church, pulled into hell, with all Her members (eyes, hands, feet), still in tact. "Better for you to enter life maimed than to keep both hands and enter Gehenna", "Better to enter life maimed or crippled than be thrown with two hands or feet into endless fire", "Better to enter life with one eye than be thrown with both into fiery Gehenna".

Do you judge this to be correct?

Verses

But it would be better if anyone who leads astray one of these simple believers were to be plunged in the sea with a great millstone fastened around his neck.

ANATHEMA

You might actually check out the change in the Catechism on this issue that was made just a few years ago that prohibits capital punishment in a country that has jails and prisons. .

Steven Merten

You might actually check out the change in the Catechism on this issue that was made just a few years ago that prohibits capital punishment in a country that has jails and prisons. .
Hello metis,
Suppose a terrorist is shooting at the Pope. A Swiss Guard sniper is ready to make the judgement call to kill the terrorist. What is Jesus will for the Swiss Guard sniper to do? You stated, ‘Therefore, I strongly feel that we are to "judge ye not..." as Jesus commanded.’ Do you judge that the Swiss Guard sniper should not judge to end the terrorist's life, for the protection of the Pope?

The Vatican possesses 'sovereign nation status'. The Pope judges whether or not to have Swiss Guards and Italian police in the Vatican, with weapons, to kill to protect him. Making the Vatican a pacifist, no weapons or force, sanctuary, or not, is the Pope's Judgement call. The Pope could just accept martyrdom for himself and Vatican visitors, if he judges this is Jesus will to do so.

What is your judgement?

Last edited:

Steven Merten

The "Just-War Theory", as I stated previously.
Hello metis,
A Catholic priest told me that the Catholic 'Just War Theory' is a Catholic Church teaching. The Catholic priest then told me that Jesus is a pacifist and Jesus wills us never to kill.

So you have to tell me directly when you judge Jesus wills us to kill to protect the innocent.

Last edited: