• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's the Guns.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's the golf clubs.....

years ago I saw a news report of what happens when the general population lacks weapons

thugs came raiding a hotel lobby with golf clubs

it was brutal

people got hurt bad
got robbed
there was no discussion

the victims were beat into submission

and no one had a gun

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My son, who is 47 and suffers from bipolar disorder, tried to commit suicide twice back in his teens by slashing his wrist, and later I asked him that if I had a gun around would he have used it, and he said absolutely he would have.
If you stored one properly (in a locked safe), he wouldn't have access.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not sure why we are still having discussions and debates about Gun ownership and control in the USA
Guns are a religion in the USA. The process of deconversion is nigh on impossible. faith in them is far too ingrained to be changed by rational argument or statistics.
Gun worship is far more important than the few hundred innocent deaths they cause each year.

I don't think it's "gun worship" itself which is the "religion" you're identifying here. I think it's more a matter of independence and self-rule. As I alluded to in an earlier post, a lot of U.S. history has had periods when large segments of the territory and population were "unorganized" - distant and detached from whatever central government existed at the time.

Added to that has been underlying resistance to and mistrust of "government" in general. Our Founders also shared that mistrust, which is why they structured our own government with limitations and checks and balances so as to reduce the potential for abuse. Americans largely tend to see government either as a "necessary evil" or as some kind of general nuisance to be avoided whenever possible.

This attitude has been manifested in numerous ways, whether it's people cheating on their taxes, bootleggers during the Prohibition era, drug dealers of today, organized crime, people running stills in Appalachia to spite the "revenuers," religionists forming compounds as "independent nations," or cattle ranchers deciding they're going to graze their cattle wherever they want - even if it's on government land.

"Screw the government" is the common refrain. A lot of people simply feel that the government has no business ruling over their lives. They're not always criminals; many just live according to a different code. They don't worship "the gun" in and of itself, but more likely see it as a symbol of independence and self-reliance. Most of the resistance to government is measured; most wouldn't openly oppose the government and most seem to genuinely favor the current political/economic system - for the most part. Or at least, they accept it as a "necessary evil" or the "lesser of two evils." But they still don't trust the government that much.

My impression is that those who still live nominally under a monarchy - even if it's a constitutional monarchy - they can't seem to identify with or understand this part of the American political culture. They seemingly worship their monarchy, what with all the ritualistic pomp and elaborate presentations associated with the royal family. That's their religion, and it's an act of deference and faith that "the government knows what's best for us" - something that a lot of Americans don't identify with nor would agree with.

The thing is, people don't trust their government enough. Other countries seemingly condition their people to be more obedient, deferent, and trusting of their "superiors" in the class hierarchy, but we don't do that here.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hey Badger, are you marching for stricter knife control in London and the rest of the UK ? Something needs to be done about your epidemic of knife murders.
Yes. Definitely.
And what are you doing about all those shot children and other innocents. We don't get 80 of knife deaths in a day!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I have considered.....gun safe

but...if the bad guy gains the advantage
and then notices I have a gun safe

he might use his golf club until I open the safe
The fact that you imagine intruders with golf clubs gives a clear idea of the rubbish security at your home.

Yet you want your gun. :)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The fact that you imagine intruders with golf clubs gives a clear idea of the rubbish security at your home.

Yet you want your gun. :)
and you have a home built like a prison?

home invasion is a serious problem

and your ability to regain control happens in the first seven seconds

got a gun?
keep it out of sight?
but you can get your hand on it .....right?

anything else is rubbish

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have considered.....gun safe

but...if the bad guy gains the advantage
and then notices I have a gun safe

he might use his golf club until I open the safe
My safe is hidden but easily accessed.
And we have attack cats.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You are so, like, so 1700s.

Off the top of your head, can you remember the last time US was invaded?
Our guns are the only thing keeping Canuckistan at bay.
They're salivating at the possibility of our giving up guns.
Then they wouldn't fear invading thru Detroit.

suncowiam

Our guns are the only thing keeping Canuckistan at bay.
They're salivating at the possibility of our giving up guns.
Then they wouldn't fear invading thru Detroit.

Our guns are one of the main contraband adding crime to their country. But what do I know?

Curious George

Veteran Member
The exercise was for him to point that out. :) Considering how fearful he is of that situation.

I would bet most Gun Rights advocates wouldn't know any of the history that they are so concerned over. It's mostly a front to justify arming themselves.
While I agree, I find that most anti-gun people know just as little.

suncowiam

While I agree, I find that most anti-gun people know just as little.

That's fair and I agree with that.

But when someone bring's up the "BRITISH ARE COMING" argument, well, they better do more than just assume US will easily get invaded, because it is not a peace of cake for any outside country to invade US. And I'm pretty sure I don't have to spend several comments to prove that.

I'm not so anti-gun that I would want it abolished but we need a rational logical discussion concerning guns to be able for both sides to move forward.

Curious George

Veteran Member
That's fair and I agree with that.

But when someone bring's up the "BRITISH ARE COMING" argument, well, they better do more than just assume US will easily get invaded, because it is not a peace of cake for any outside country to invade US. And I'm pretty sure I don't have to spend several comments to prove that.

I'm not so anti-gun that I would want it abolished but we need a rational logical discussion concerning to be able for both sides to move forward.
I am afraid that any rational discourse would preserve the right to keep and bear arms more so than our current level of gun regulation does. The consequence of this is that we left rational discussion a long time ago.

Though, I do feel we need to have rational discussion on where these fears of guns originate and why.

suncowiam

I am afraid that any rational discourse would preserve the right to keep and bear arms more so than our current level of gun regulation does. The consequence of this is that we left rational discussion a long time ago.

Though, I do feel we need to have rational discussion on where these fears of guns originate and why.

Not sure about rational. Logical, maybe concerning the constitution. But if we consider how the second amendment was created and its true purpose or translation, then I do not agree with you concerning it's rational test.

Then there's the debate of the overall value of guns to society. All the issues that we supposedly have that guns supposedly fix, well, why then do we not see the same level of issues witnessed by other modern western countries? You and I have debated this before, and I frankly, rather not reiterate old discussions. I'm still at a mindset that if other modern countries can exist with less guns or more gun control, without a threat of invasion or a threat of a corrupt government, then I believe we are doing poorly in this argument. I'm fine if folks want to use guns for recreation or for defense, but the level of gun awareness, responsibilities and control are so awful in this country, that I can't agree to allow ownership without further enforcement of control.