• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Its snowing

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's snowing over here. :( Is it snowing over there?

did you know there's supposedly not two snowflakes in the world that have the same geometric design?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The notion there are not two snowflakes that have the exact same shape is false. Some years ago, I read a science textbook on snowflakes. The author had a number of photos demonstrating that the notion was false.

By the way, it's snowing here too. We're expecting the first major storm of the season today, and it's begun.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The notion there are not two snowflakes that have the exact same shape is false. Some years ago, I read a science textbook on snowflakes. The author had a number of photos demonstrating that that notion was false.

By the way, it's snowing here too. We're expecting the first major storm of the season today, and it's begun.

Here's an interesting article.

Scientist: Maybe Two Snowflakes <i>are</i> Alike

Two snow crystals may be alike, but it is still unlikely that two snowflakes, which are crystals stuck together, are alike.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The notion there are not two snowflakes that have the exact same shape is false. Some years ago, I read a science textbook on snowflakes. The author had a number of photos demonstrating that the notion was false.

That's why i said "supposedly", meaning, that's what I've heard and read, but I'm not so sure of it.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

did you know there's supposedly not two snowflakes in the world that have the same geometric design?

North Carolina is well above average temperatures even in the mountains. The lowest temperatures occurred last might in the forties.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That's quite interesting. Thanks.

The snow flake crystals that are alike are the simplist form of snow flake. Where fractal diversity comes into play in chaos theory is as systems become more complex, as in larger more complex snow flakes.

Better examples are more complex: (1) All clouds look like clouds but no two clouds are exactly alike. (2) All Sugar Maple tree leaves look like Sugar Maple leaves, but no two are exactly alike.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

My first grade Science class taught me each snowflake was individual. So you are going to have to produce a source for your claim.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here's an interesting article.

Scientist: Maybe Two Snowflakes <i>are</i> Alike

Two snow crystals may be alike, but it is still unlikely that two snowflakes, which are crystals stuck together, are alike.
Given the trillions of snow flakes continually created.
Certainly, some two somewhere will look alike.
But this ignores the point of the aphorism, ie, that
if actually examine a bunch of them, they'll all have
grown differently.

Another common aphorism....
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Of course it isn't strictly true for all cases.
But it's useful most of the time to consider.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Definitely no two snowflakes are alike. Some carry signs and others climb statues.

Vee

Premium Member

Here it's just raining. Not nearly as stylish as snow but it goes way faster and it's easier to clean afterwards.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Possible snow today but not staying, probable first frost Monday which is good. Muzzleloader deer season was too warm, not a good idea to hang the carcass in 90 degree weather for a few days nor carry it quartered for a few hours if on a longer hike. Cooler weather means I can hang it now in near perfect temperatures and archery season is here. First hide will be scraped and raw salted and made into a replica of Otzi the iceman's quiver.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Possible snow today but not staying, probable first frost Monday which is good. Muzzleloader deer season was too warm, not a good idea to hang the carcass in 90 degree weather for a few days nor carry it quartered for a few hours if on a longer hike. Cooler weather means I can hang it now in near perfect temperatures and archery season is here. First hide will be scraped and raw salted and made into a replica of Otzi the iceman's quiver.
I think Hillary Clinton would have had your guns taken away. Also, you are absolutely right, The flesh would possibly decompose in the summertime.