• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"It's not faith if you're using your eyes..."

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers

Discuss.

(Bonus points if you guess the song the lyric is from.)

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
No idea about the song, but it's technically wrong. You have faith that your eyes are providing an accurate picture and that you are accurately interpreting it. To be sure, though, it requires much less faith than it would if you were to, say, read an account of the same thing - perhaps so much less that the lyric can be considered nearly true for practical purposes.

Man, that was a lot of words for such a waffle.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I know the song, but I cheated. :)

As to the topic, I'll use myself as an example. I believe in God because of personal experience. It could be argued that I claim knowledge, not faith, and this is the side I come down on. However, there's also an argument to be made that I have faith that I am interpreting my experience correctly, and this is not unreasonable.

So, do I have faith in God? I would answer no, but I can see how it's debateable.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Discuss.
To me, the quote suggests the idea that things we know through faith we know through the metaphorical "heart" --that is, intuitively, instinctively, coming from the unconscious mind rather than empirical sensation of the world around us.

Heneni

Miss Independent
There is a scripture in the bible that refers to faith and sight..
goes something like 'walk by faith not by sight' (Have no idea about the song either)

We use our eyes to observe what we would like to call reality. There is a computer infront of me, and I know its there because I can see it.

Faith is spiritual eyes. (among many things) Faith knows that God is there because it can 'see' Him. We guide our steps not by that which is seen to our natural eyes, but unseen and clearly observable by our inner eye. Oh ye of little faith, Jesus often said. He probably commented on his disciples inability to see with their inner eye. If we were able to use our inner eye to look at our outer world, we would see things the way they really are. By that I mean that which i see with my natural eyes, is actually the illusion, and only that which I can 'see' with my inner eye is real.

The_Her3tiK

Free Thinker

Discuss.

(Bonus points if you guess the song the lyric is from.)
Faith is used to define something as true when there is essentially an utter lack of evidence. By "using your eyes" and determining such a thing to be true, the need for faith becomes unnecessary, and essentially impossible. Basically, knowledge and faith cannot coexist.

Dunemeister

Faith is used to define something as true when there is essentially an utter lack of evidence. By "using your eyes" and determining such a thing to be true, the need for faith becomes unnecessary, and essentially impossible. Basically, knowledge and faith cannot coexist.

Why do people continually repeat these ancient and false aphorisms? Faith does not operate without or despite evidence. And knowledge and faith are not incompatible; knowledge is impossible without faith.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
While I somewhat agree with your definition, I don't believe that faith and knowledge are in any way mutually exclusive or cancel each other, because faith is in things that cannot be known (can only be reasoned or intuited). I think knowledge, in the form of evidence, strengthens faith.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Obviously written by someone who does not understand faith. It's not BLIND faith if you're using your eyes is accurate. Most faith is evidence based. I know mine is.

Hi Scuba, I'm curious..we are saved by grace through faith. What evidence do you have that you are saved, but that I mean physical tangable evidence.

Heneni

blackout

Violet.
For me faith is an active stance.
It is the motion of something done in a stance of active (chosen) assurity.
It is the suspension of disbelief.
(though it is not necessarily belief itself)

If I closed my eyes and crossed my fingers
that would not be a stance of power.

A stance of power plants the flag of faith firmly at its feet.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Hi Scuba, I'm curious..we are saved by grace through faith. What evidence do you have that you are saved, but that I mean physical tangable evidence.

Heneni
Gosh Heneni,

why does it have to be PHYSICAL? My evidence is almost completely spiritual. Just because it is spiritual, does not mean it ceases to exist.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
So you Do agree with the OP then?:)
Please. I have already indicated that I disagree with the OP's statement. There is no need to play these little mind games like you have "caught" me in some sort of lie. I still disagree completely with that statement. Your non sequitur does not diminish that belief one whit.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Please. I have already indicated that I disagree with the OP's statement. There is no need to play these little mind games like you have "caught" me in some sort of lie. I still disagree completely with that statement. Your non sequitur does not diminish that belief one whit.

Faith requires honesty. :run:

And servanthood.

blackout

Violet.
I'm not even christian and I know what it means to see with the eyes of the spirit.
(as if this would be an elitist reality for christians only)

Last edited: