• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isn't Islam an idol worshiping religion?

Is Islam an idol-worshiping religion?

• Total voters
In my view, the idols we make in our minds are every bit as deceptive and illusory as idols made of metal or stone.

I strongly disagree. Because i'd rather have picture soothe me the, nothing. A picture of god is easier woshipped then nothing at all. I think thats why i am still hindu, because i have a picture, idol to worship. It easier to worship. By loving that idol i am loving god. I believe god is everywhere and is in everything.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
If I may, I have two questions for you.

1. Why single out the Muslim faith for this discussion?
2. What religion, (if any) are you?

1. I was not singling out Islam or anything like that. It just happened to be the subject of what I wanted to write.

2. As a Hindu (by which I mean the tradition I was born into), telling you what my religion is is a bit difficult. You see, in the Hindu culture, you have all the freedom to choose any particular path of worship, belief or technique towards God or divinity. Being thus given the freedom, I am simply convincing myself that I am perfect and my circumstances are perfect and whenever I feel otherwise (which was always in the beginning and a lot less nowadays) I meditate (in my own way) to see what I think is the reality. So you can say, as far as identity goes, I am a Hindu. But from the point of view of the ultimate Hindu teachings, identity is the very antithesis of spirituality. Therefore I would say that in passing I am a Hindu, but ultimately I am no one.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
[/color][/font] [/color][/font]
Allah this word, encompasses all that Allah has revealed of Himself.

If Allah the word can encompass all that Allah has revealed of Himself, then why can't a solid idol do the same of God for the idol-worshipper?

Smoke

Done here.
I strongly disagree. Because i'd rather have picture soothe me the, nothing. A picture of god is easier woshipped then nothing at all. I think thats why i am still hindu, because i have a picture, idol to worship. It easier to worship. By loving that idol i am loving god. I believe god is everywhere and is in everything.
In my view, penguino, you are far better off with icons, idols, and pictures than with your imagination. You know that your iconography is symbolic, and doesn't correspond to the reality of the divine. Your iconography helps protect you from a certain kind of delusion. People who reject iconography are all too prone to believe that the image in their mind does correspond to reality. Iconoclasm, in connection with dogmatic religion, leads to a most pernicious form of idolatry.

In my view, penguino, you are far better off with icons, idols, and pictures than with your imagination. You know that your iconography is symbolic, and doesn't correspond to the reality of the divine. Your iconography helps protect you from a certain kind of delusion. People who reject iconography are all too prone to believe that the image in their mind does correspond to reality. Iconoclasm, in connection with dogmatic religion, leads to a most pernicious form of idolatry.

That picture has made me a hindu. I see it, i can identify myself as a hindu, that is a very proud thing for me. I believe idols is what makes hinduism unique and so special.

~Amin~

God is the King
If Allah the word can encompass all that Allah has revealed of Himself, then why can't a solid idol do the same of God for the idol-worshipper?
Lol, Lol, Lol, Lol ,Lol, Lol, Lol,
If i know get a pen and paper and write Allah it doesnt mean
God is IN THAT WORD, its the meaning of the word, which describes
the way we know God.;)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Looks like the OPer is woefully ignorant of the Sufi way. Oh well. I see the OP's pushing of Hinduism... that seems to be the point of this thread, Islam added as an afterthought.

Maybe thats because he didn't know of others! Your knowledge cannot be applied to him, he knows one thing and you know another, doesen't mean he can debate about something he is unaware of.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Penguino, you seem far too fascinated with a black stone without really knowing too much about it.

And aren't you still under 13 years of age and violating United States Federal Law (COPPA) to be on this website? Tricky tricky...

And I think if he knows enough about Islam to write pseudo-intellectual essays about the religion he might have heard something about Sufism, it's honestly not some secret.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
That we are sinners is a thought that is the cause of all man's problems.
No, thinking everything you do is right is a far greater cause of problems.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps he chose Islam because it was the tradition most adamantly opposed to Idolatry, with a tradition so strongly against idols and graven images that, until recently, realistic images of any kind were generally frowned upon.

Anyone can make a case for Christian idolatry. To posit Muslim idolatry requires an examination of subtle essentials; of definitions.
Such a discussion distills the concept to it's unsullied essentials.

vandervalley

I still cannot understand why he singled out Muslims. His loose definition could apply to any religion.

The reason for OP is because most of Muslims consider other religions as idol worshipping practices.

So it is important to tell Muslims that their religion is pretty much on equal ground with others

vandervalley

Islamic idols include mosques, a piece of land, buildings with golden domes, a book and the name allah.

When the golden dome building was damaged some Muslims started to go on killing rampage; well that's a way to worship an idol.

My point is; an idol does not necessarily have to be an icon or a picture. It can be a building, a piece of land or even a book

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Islamic idols include mosques, a piece of land, buildings with golden domes, a book and the name allah.

When the golden dome building was damaged some Muslims started to go on killing rampage; well that's a way to worship an idol.

My point is; an idol does not necessarily have to be an icon or a picture. It can be a building, a piece of land or even a book

So you equate "idol" with "symbol."
I understand the reasoning.

vandervalley

So you equate "idol" with "symbol."
I understand the reasoning.

A "symbol" can be an unnecessary attachment to the practice of one's religion; just as an "idol" would.

When a person would go to the extreme of killing for a "symbol"; wouldn't you say this "symbol" is just the same as an idol?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A "symbol" can be an unnecessary attachment to the practice of one's religion; just as an "idol" would.

When a person would go to the extreme of killing for a "symbol"; wouldn't you say this "symbol" is just the same as an idol?

The American flag comes to mind -- or the world trade center.