• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamophobic 'victory'

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Surge for Dutch anti-Islam Freedom Party

A Dutch anti-Islam party has more than doubled its seats in parliament in a national vote, though it is unclear if it will take part in a coalition.

< -- snip -- >​

The unexpected big winner was the anti-Islam Freedom Party, the PVV, which took its number of seats from nine in the last parliament to 24 - its best-ever finish.

The campaign had been dominated by a debate over the economy, which was thought to have eclipsed immigration as an election issue.

But the strong showing for the Freedom Party, led by the controversial Geert Wilders, is a sign that immigration was still a powerful theme, correspondents say.

Mr Wilders has campaigned to stop the "Islamisation of the Netherlands".

He wants the Koran banned, and has suggested a tax on headscarves worn by Muslim women. [source]
I would love to see every decent citizen of that country go out and buy a Qur'an ...

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Oh, that's terrible.

The campaign had been dominated by a debate over the economy, which was thought to have eclipsed immigration as an election issue.
I think these two issues are linked. If the economy improves, perhaps minds will clear, and this "Freedom" party will have to rethink its approach to Muslims.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Why?

Why would they want one?
Here's a thought, they owe it to themselves to understand where new citizens to their nation are coming from, even it they dont like these new citizens, the religion of the Qur'an now effects daily life in the Netherlands, they have all the right reasons to want to go out there and buy a copy of the Qur'an.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Here's a thought, they owe it to themselves to understand where new citizens to their nation are coming from, even it they dont like these new citizens, the religion of the Qur'an now effects daily life in the Netherlands, they have all the right reasons to want to go out there and by a copy of the Qur'an.

I do not even buy the religious texts of those faiths I respect. why should I, or any one else, feel obliged to Buy the texts of a religion they reject.

The Netherlands perceives it has a problem with Muslims, to the extent that there is a sizable minority working actively to remove them from their society. The low countries generally seem to have similar feelings. The Ghetto mentality of the Muslims will inevitably lead to further conflict. Only full integration to the point of invisibility will resolve the position.

Any minority that marks itself out by dress and by living a separate parallel culture inevitably leads to social unrest.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I do not even buy the religious texts of those faiths I respect. why should I, or any one else, feel obliged to Buy the texts of a religion they reject.
They should feel OBLIGED, especially if they feel threatened by these people, if they respect them, they should buy the Qur'an in order to understand their new fellow citizens, if they want the immigrants out and think that they are alien to them or even enemies, than they OWE it to themselves and their society to know their enemies and understand the ideology of the enemy.

The Netherlands perceives it has a problem with Muslims, to the extent that there is a sizable minority working actively to remove them from their society. The low countries generally seem to have similar feelings. The Ghetto mentality of the Muslims will inevitably lead to further conflict. Only full integration to the point of invisibility will resolve the position.
I believe you are only half right, there is no reason for Muslims not to celebrate their faith, even in European societies, but to flash their faith arrogantly and to expect European citizens who are hardened by centuries of European history to bend themselves to meet Islamic standards, now that should be considered a national threat. Europe should follow the Israeli model, Israel has a population of about 20% Arabs, most of them Muslims, these Israeli citizens can wear the veils if they choose, they are free to build minarets, and they are free to enter the Israeli parliament, Europeans are going mental right now and pull out all these laws banning Islam, by the way, I am not saying whether they are right or wrong in their laws and bans, Europeans should know by now how to handle this.

Any minority that marks itself out by dress and by living a separate parallel culture inevitably leads to social unrest.
Usually, it seems to be the case.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The good news is I'm glad to see a story about stupidity like this coming from somewhere that's not America.

kai

ragamuffin
Its always the far right that gain when the main parties skirt around the immigration issue because it isn't PC. I hope its a flash in the pan, probably a protest vote.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
They should feel OBLIGED, especially if they feel threatened by these people, if they respect them, they should buy the Qur'an in order to understand their new fellow citizens, if they want the immigrants out and think that they are alien to them or even enemies, than they OWE it to themselves and their society to know their enemies and understand the ideology of the enemy.

Simply put... these people do not respect Muslims... they want nothing further to do with them.

Those that have formed the anti-Muslim party represent a similar proportion of the population as do the Muslims. They will certainly not feel obliged to cater to Muslim wishes in any way. Their Society at large is indicating that the Muslims in the Netherlands have gone too far.
The eventual solution , if it is to be peaceful, is in the hands of the Muslims not their detractors.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Simply put... these people do not respect Muslims... they want nothing further to do with them
Quit being so obssessively selective in what you chose to respond to. I clearly said if they feel Muslims are the enemy from within, then they OWE it to themselves and their society, to understand the Islamic ideology.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Because Christians are so much easier on the eye ? :rolleyes:
I'll be honest here and say Christians don't frighten me. Maybe that's because they aren't as scary as the extremes we've seen come from Muslim countries (killing people who commit adultery), or maybe that's because I live in a country where the super crazy element of Christianity isn't allowed much power.

I could easily co-exist with peaceful Islam provided they did not force me to live by the same standards. The same could be said for any religion actually. The key is to keep the crazies in check.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'll be honest here and say Christians don't frighten me.
I'm terrified of them. every time I see a Christian I insitinctively want to say: "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Maybe that's because they aren't as scary as the extremes we've seen come from Muslim countries (killing people who commit adultery), or maybe that's because I live in a country where the super crazy element of Christianity isn't allowed much power.
You might have a point there, usually I get a long great with Christians, I sort of feel like their senior Jewish uncle, hopefully the one who will help them rid themselves of their dogma ;) but seriously though, I think Bill Maher put it great, when addressing one of the Christian ladies on 'Real Time', he said to her that they cannot outfanaticize these people (Muslims).

I could easily co-exist with peaceful Islam provided they did not force me to live by the same standards. The same could be said for any religion actually. The key is to keep the crazies in check.
Aye. my family lived in Morocco for centuries, one of the few Arab nations (if not the only one) that Jews have not been expelled from during the previous century. further more, many Jews and Muslims flourished together in Moorish Spain, practically creating what some people today call a 'Utopia'.

Last edited:

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I'm terrified of them. every time I see a Christian I insitinctively want to say: "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
trevor-barnes-albums-misc-rcmb-images-picture346-spanish-inquisition.jpg