• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamic definitions of key words? (tolerance, peace, mercy...)

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
I'm sorry, I'm having difficulty understanding this post, can you say this a different way? thanks!

Examples: people have compassion towards a dog but not towards pigs and chickens.
They have tolerance for differences of religions but not of sexualities.
They only believe in peace for humanity, not for the planet

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Examples: people have compassion towards a dog but not towards pigs and chickens.
They have tolerance for differences of religions but not of sexualities.
They only believe in peace for humanity, not for the planet

I'm still not sure I understand, but I'd say I agree that some people are like you describe, but many are not.

Servant_of_the_One1

Islam means submission to the worship of Allah swt and His Will.

As for peace, Ameerul Mumineen Umar radiyallah anhu gave assurance of protection to christians and jews that includes their lives, proporties, churches and houses.
You are so brainwashed by your hatred of islam that u dont know its history.

If u claim as u claimed before that islam is destructive then indeed Umar r.a would have slaughterd every single christian and jew in Jerusalem and Damascus. Who could stop him from doing so after defeating the Byzantines?

History rejects your anti-islam rhetoric.

But I'm not failing to acknowledge that. I asked for definitions of denominations.

You always fail to acknowledge it. "Islam is a totalitarian ideology", "Muslims think peace requires global conquest". You've repeatedly argued that there is no need to qualify your statements when talking about 'Islam' and 'Muslims', and always interpret the Wahabbi types as being the most representative example of what Muslims should believe.

What definitions of denominations do you want? What would it tell you? If you knew that most Yemeni Muslims were (nominally) Shafi'i and most Indonesian Muslims were Shafi'i how would your understanding of the situation be improved? 'Indonesian Muslim' gives you more information than 'Sunni of the Shafi'i madhab'.

There aren't any nice little tags that you can point to to show which are 'good Muslims' and which are 'bad Muslims'. Even a term like Salafi is very problematic as there is a part of the Salafi movement that is completely apolitical and part that is violently political..

That said, there must be some essential aspects of Islam that are close enough to being universal that we can - in fact - make some general statements.

Yes, but that doesn't mean we can make any generalised statement we want.

There is one God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, the Quran was revealed to Muhammad by God. That would cover almost all Muslims. They should fast during Ramadan, give to charity, pray towards Mecca, etc.

So, what next? Religious texts are vague enough that they can be interpreted in multiple ways, that's why religions survive so long. They are adaptable.

You get a better understanding of what a religion is by looking at society than looking at texts.

Christians believe Jesus was a good chap with a strong moral message, but what do an Syriac Orthodox Christian and a German Lutherian have in common? On average, do you know more by knowing someone's nationality or knowing their Christian denomination?

Of course religion has played a role in the development of culture, but it was only one factor out of many. And religious influence is only in part related to the scripture of the religion, and part influenced by other human factors.

I have to say this argument of yours also seems weak because Muslims are often heard to complain that a certain action offends all 1.6 billion of them. So which is it? Do Muslims have some things in common or not?

When Jessie Jackson speaks on TV do you assume that his views represent all black people, everywhere?

Anyway, I don't get where your reasoning is going. There is an enormous leap between "all Muslims have a few symbolic things in common", and "for Muslims the word peace means only after they have finished their global conquest".

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,

As for peace, Ameerul Mumineen Umar radiyallah anhu gave assurance of protection to christians and jews that includes their lives, proporties, churches and houses.

If u claim as u claimed before that islam is destructive then indeed Umar r.a would have slaughterd every single christian and jew in Jerusalem and Damascus. Who could stop him from doing so after defeating the Byzantines?

History accepts the brutality of Islam imposed on the world and their constant thoughts of raping people of other religions.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Religion; God; Secularism.

It seems to me that Muslims tend to understand "religion" to have a subtly yet significantly exotic meaning. It is literally all about submission to God,

One of the consequences is that they have a hard time understanding other religions. Non-Abrahamics are almost beyond their understanding.

Religion to Muslims is the difference between animals and humans.
Animals have no religion and no specific way of life.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Thanks. This is promising, if we can give what you say some more detail and elaboration so that it becomes clearer, more meaningful.

Religion to non-Muslims has many different meanings, but it is generally understood that humans may lack it without being animals.

Also, your wording intrigues me. Could you perhaps offer some alternative wordings for "specific way of life"? It has just been argued that Muslims, too, are heterogeneous and therefore should not be expected to generally follow a specific way of life, but I think there are subtler meanings in what you say that deserve some exposure.

I take it there is a connection to the claim, sometimes made, that Islam is a complete way of life? My current understanding of it is that Islam provides lots of references for social roles and expectations, bringing to Muslims a degree of predictability to their social life that can be very reassuring and confortable for many people.

For instance, Muslims are expected to have the goals of marrying and having children. Not exactly the freedom to do so, which would imply that it is fine if they choose not to, but rather the actual expectation.

So, please, may you elaborate a bit on what you just said? Perhaps giving us some examples of how non-religious humans would be more like animals, or why a specific way of life is important?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Can you say more about your use of the word "protection" from your post? I have to think that implies that Muslims ought to be in power, but if I've got that wrong, can you explain it to me?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do dogs marry and have their own families as humans do?
You should watch some nature programs, if you don't care to spend the time reading books about the animal kingdom. Do dogs fly airplanes? No. But do they have social order? Yes.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You should watch some nature programs, if you don't care to spend the time reading books about the animal kingdom. Do dogs fly airplanes? No. But do they have social order? Yes.

Do dogs wear dress or walk bold, do they hide when doing sex, don't they rape...etc
What kind of social life you're talking about?

Last edited:

MD

qualiaphile
Below are some key words that come up in many discussions of Islam:

- tolerance
- peace
- honor
- mercy
- justice

I have a sense that Muslims' definitions of these words are quite different than the western definitions. In the interest of mutual understanding, I'd like to ask Muslims if they would define these words?

I'll start with "peace" and share my understanding of how Muslims interpret this word, and I welcome corrections:

peace: Muslims will reign peacefully when the world is ruled by Islam. This definition allows the well known phrase "Islam is a religion of peace" to be spoken truthfully.

These terms mostly apply to Muslims. People of the book have a different set of rules. Pagans and polytheists have a very different set of rules.

Homosexuals and atheists are well...the most hated people in the Islamic world.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

atanu

Premium Member

Do dogs wear dress or walk bold, do they hide when doing sex, don't they rape...etc
What kind of social life you're talking about?

So anyone not ascribed to your religion are animals equal to dogs who do not hide when doing sex?

Do you mean that really? Or it is my mistake in understanding or is it your mustake?

atanu

Premium Member
Below are some key words that come up in many discussions of Islam:

- tolerance
- peace
- honor
- mercy
- justice

I have a sense that Muslims' definitions of these words are quite different than the western definitions. In the interest of mutual understanding, I'd like to ask Muslims if they would define these words?

I'll start with "peace" and share my understanding of how Muslims interpret this word, and I welcome corrections:

peace: Muslims will reign peacefully when the world is ruled by Islam. This definition allows the well known phrase "Islam is a religion of peace" to be spoken truthfully.

I do not think you can and should generalise.