• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam and Inter-Faith Marriages

A-ManESL

Because the Quran was written in a different time period where the culture was much different to now. It doesn't address the fact that society inevitably changes and thus different rules become more appropriate.

Perhaps it does address the fact in a certain sense in verse 3:7

He sent down to you this scripture(Quran), containing straightforward verses - which constitute the essence of the scripture - as well as multiple-meaning or allegorical verses. Those who harbor doubts in their hearts will pursue the multiple-meaning verses to create confusion, and to extricate a certain meaning. None knows the true meaning thereof except God and those well founded in knowledge. They say, "We believe in this - all of it comes from our Lord." Only those who possess intelligence will take heed.-The Holy Quran.

Commentators usually understand the straightforward verses (muhkam) to refer to the categorical orders of the shariat (or the law) which are plain to everyone's understanding. But perhaps the meaning is wider: The "essence of the Book" is the very foundation on which all Law rests, the essence of God's message as distinguished from the various illustrative parables, allegories and ordinances.

Regards.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps it does address the fact in a certain sense in verse 3:7

Commentators usually understand the straightforward verses (muhkam) to refer to the categorical orders of the shariat (or the law) which are plain to everyone's understanding. But perhaps the meaning is wider: The "essence of the Book" is the very foundation on which all Law rests, the essence of God's message as distinguished from the various illustrative parables, allegories and ordinances.

Regards.

I don't understand how this addresses issues of culture and change...?

A-ManESL

I don't understand how this addresses issues of culture and change...?

By stating that certain verses of the Quran are not to be taken literally but allegorically, this allows for a scope of varying interpretation of the Quran with the times, provided the fundamental principles remain unchanged. BTW this is my personal opinion.

Regards.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
By stating that certain verses of the Quran are not to be taken literally but allegorically, this allows for a scope of varying interpretation of the Quran with the times, provided the fundamental principles remain unchanged. BTW this is my personal opinion.

Regards.

I see. Well your opinion seems perfectly valid :)

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
why it is that strict?

there are muslim women who are capable to work and spend for their family, thus will get equal dignity as her husband, so why employed muslim women are not allowed for interfaith marriages?

Exactly Nameless-this is my point!!!!

xxx

Fatihah

why it is that strict?

there are muslim women who are capable to work and spend for their family, thus will get equal dignity as her husband, so why employed muslim women are not allowed for interfaith marriages?

Response: You'll have to explain what you mean by "strict?" As for your second question, yes women are capable of working and spending for the family. I do not disagree here. But again, the laws of islam are put forth to establish what is best for people. So despite the woman's capability, it is best that a man holds the burden of responsibility to financially run the household due to the difference in nature between men and women. Men are by nature physically stronger. Women by nature are more sensitive. So when it comes to work, it is best that men would leave the house and work to support the family while the wife stays and takes care of the home and children instead of making the women enter a workplace and perform hard labor, knowing the dangers that exist in the world, such as sexual predators, robbers, etc. It is done this way to better protect the women. Also, if there is a war or a dispute in which a fight will occur, naturally, it would again be more of the responsibility of the man to fight, instead if putting the women in such harm. So due to these measures, men are naturally the head of the household. When I say "head of household", please do not construe it to mean a dictatorship, where whatever the man says goes. This is not the case. By head if household, it simply means that the man has a much greater responsibility in protecting and supporting his family and home. And since the man has greater responsibility, then naturally, his influence will be greater. This is why a marriage of a muslim woman to a non-muslim man is prohibited, due to the influence he will have on her religion.

Last edited:

nameless

The Creator
You'll have to explain what you mean by "strict?.
Only men are allowed to become head of household, this is 'strict' in islam.

Women by nature are more sensitive..
kindly explain the problems that occur for being sensitive.

Men are by nature physically stronger. So when it comes to work, it is best that men would leave the house and work to support the family while the wife stays and takes care of the home and children instead of making the women enter a workplace and perform hard labor, knowing the dangers that exist in the world, such as sexual predators, robbers, etc. It is done this way to better protect the women. Also, if there is a war or a dispute in which a fight will occur, naturally, it would again be more of the responsibility of the man to fight, instead if putting the women in such harm.

never known before that women are only capable for jobs in military and hard labour.
Let women do what they are capable for as per their wish.

When I say "head of household", please do not construe it to mean a dictatorship, where whatever the man says goes. This is not the case. By head if household, it simply means that the man has a much greater responsibility in protecting and supporting his family and home..
according to your previous posts,'head of house' should be taken as dictatorship, that is the reason why when religious clash happens between them, the wife would have to obey her husband and change her faith.

From your posts i now understand that girls should not be allowed to have any higher eduacation, since they are sensitive and islam forbids employment for women.

Last edited:

Fatihah

Only men are allowed to become head of household, this is 'strict' in islam.

kindly explain the problems that occur for being sensitive.

never known before that women are only capable for jobs in military and hard labour.
Let women do what they are capable for as per their wish.

according to your previous posts,'head of house' should be taken as dictatorship, that is the reason why when religious clash happens between them, the wife would have to obey her husband and change her faith.

From your posts i now understand that girls should not be allowed have any higher eduacation, since they are sensitive and islam forbids employment for women.

Response: Post 46 proves to the contrary. At no time have I said that a head of household should be taken as a dictatorship, nor did I say that when religions clash, that a woman has to change her faith, nor can you quote me saying so. Nor have I said that women are only capable for jobs in the military or hard labor. You've just made it your business to post claims with absolutely no proof. You clearly want to debate. This however, is not the appropriate forum. If a debate
is what you want, then make a similar thread in a debate forum and I'll be more than happy to debunk your claims.

Last edited:

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
Response: You'll have to explain what you mean by "strict?" As for your second question, yes women are capable of working and spending for the family. I do not disagree here. But again, the laws of islam are put forth to establish what is best for people. So despite the woman's capability, it is best that a man holds the burden of responsibility to financially run the household due to the difference in nature between men and women. Men are by nature physically stronger. Women by nature are more sensitive. So when it comes to work, it is best that men would leave the house and work to support the family while the wife stays and takes care of the home and children instead of making the women enter a workplace and perform hard labor, knowing the dangers that exist in the world, such as sexual predators, robbers, etc. It is done this way to better protect the women. Also, if there is a war or a dispute in which a fight will occur, naturally, it would again be more of the responsibility of the man to fight, instead if putting the women in such harm. So due to these measures, men are naturally the head of the household. When I say "head of household", please do not construe it to mean a dictatorship, where whatever the man says goes. This is not the case. By head if household, it simply means that the man has a much greater responsibility in protecting and supporting his family and home. And since the man has greater responsibility, then naturally, his influence will be greater. This is why a marriage of a muslim woman to a non-muslim man is prohibited, due to the influence he will have on her religion.

Hiya Fatihah...

I actually find your statement to be very androcentric...

Very chauvanistic...

Your statement actually denotes a 'Male dominancy' over Women(which is not Islam-for sure)-i am abit of a Feminist(but i would never be bias-such as your statement)...

I 100% disagree with you xxx

Last edited:

Fatihah

Hiya Fatihah...

I actually find your statement to be very androcentric...

Very chauvanistic...

Your statement actually denotes a 'Male dominancy' over Women(which is not Islam-for sure)-i am abit of a Feminist(but i would never be bias-such as your statement)...

I 100% disagree with you xxx

Response: If protecting women from harm is chauvanistic and wrong, then I don't want to be right.

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
Response: If protecting women from harm is chauvanistic and wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Fatihah i am sure we Women are capable of defending ourselves...

Such a biased opinion you made 'Women are sensitive'-generalising is not a good trait Mr...

Stop using Islam to defend yourselves(Men who think the same as Fatihah's statement)...stop using Islam as a banner to sanctionize us Women to dominancy!!!...

xxx

Fatihah

Fatihah i am sure we Women are capable of defending ourselves...

Such a biased opinion you made 'Women are sensitive'-generalising is not a good trait Mr...

xxx

Response: What I said is that women are by nature more sensitive than men. Only ego is what makes a person fail to establish such a common fact.

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
Response: What I said is that women are by nature more sensitive than men. Only ego is what makes a person fail to establish such a common fact.

Looks like it's you(Fatihah) who has the ego issue here of generalising Women...

xxx

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
Your ego will not let you accept that women would be just fine without us in their lives to "protect" and look after them.

We need women more than they need us.

Dont get me wrong Guys...

But what i meant to say was-Yes we Women do need protection...

Yes we Women do need care...

But NOT dominancy(as in Fatihah's statement)...

That would become like suffocation-if his statement was true...

xxx

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
Women need love and attention, not a male companion to the grocery store to make sure they don't get raped/assaulted.

If we do not see women as equal we do not deserve to have them in our lives.

Perfect Darkendless :D...

You got it all on one :D...

mwuah xxx