• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam and Inter-Faith Marriages

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
Response: A non-muslim is one who rejects Allah(swt) as God, the one and only, and his messenger as a true prophet, Prophet Muhammad (saw). Thus this would include christians, jews, Sikh, Buddhist, etc.

So does that mean Hazrath Abraham(AS) was not a Monotheist?as he did not know of Hazrath Muhammad(SAW) then nor was he given glad tidings of the birth to take place of Hazrath Muhammad(SAW) in the future...

Hazrath Abraham(AS) was a staunch Monotheist(Hanif/Haneef)...which is the fundamental dogma of Monotheism-Oneness of the Lord...which is present in Sikhism,Christianity,Judaism and Hinduism...

The advent of Hazrath Muhammad(SAW) was at the end of the lineage of Prophets/Messengers/Apostles...

xxx

Last edited:

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Anti-religion i differ to you...

Please do refer to the thread 'Similarities between Sikhism and Hinduism'...there are alot of resources available on that thread-to say Hinduism is Monotheism :)...

xxx
Wasn't it me who created that thread.:drool:
Thus this would include christians, jews, Sikh, Buddhist, etc.

Please please dont include Buddhists,Buddhism has no concept of God..It is non-theistic.Denying God may a great Shirk in Islam which Allah may not forgive.

Metempsychosis

Lolzzzzzzz xxx

I just remember one such case of Islamic Interfaith marriage.Dina Wadia is the daughter of Mohammed Ali Jinnah the Father of Pakistan.She married a Zoroastrian Man.

This quote from the wikipedia article is interesting:
Jinnah, in his usual imperious manner, told her that there were millions of Muslim boys in India, and she could have anyone she chose. Reminding her father that his wife (Dina's mother Rattanbai), had also been a non-Muslim, the young lady replied: 'Father, there were millions of Muslim girls in India. Why did you not marry one of them?' And he replied that, 'she became a Muslim'".
:D.So i think inter-faith marriage is possible..

Sorry,I forgot it is the Islamic DIR...:eek:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I differ from you.It would not be correct to classify Hinduism as monotheism.Only one sect is truly monotheistic as Islam..which is actually brought in stay with Islam at that time.Contrary to popular notion,polytheist are well behaved people.By monotheism,I mean one God which is completely different from creation.

Even those monotheistic sect of Hinduism have a personalistic concept of God,whereas Islam is highly impersonal(in the sense,that God cannot take forms and attributes).

So,that should solve the question of Interfaith marriage ,Islamically speaking.:)

You make good and valid points. There are only a few Hindus who are completely dualistic. The monotheists I refered to still see everything in existence as part of God's energy rather than separate. I forgot about the impersonal nature of Islam although that does share some similarity with monistic Hindu ideas...do you think?

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
I just remember one such case of Islamic Interfaith marriage.Dina Wadia is the daughter of Mohammed Ali Jinnah the Father of Pakistan.She married a Zoroastrian Man.

This quote from the wikipedia article is interesting:

:D.So i think inter-faith marriage is possible..

Sorry,I forgot it is the Islamic DIR...:eek:

That's right Anti-religion...

Dina Wadia maarried a Zoroastrian Man...

The Emporer Jalaluddin Akbar married a Hindu Princess Jodha Bai...

and many more examples are available :)...

xxx

Last edited:

Fatihah

So does that mean Hazrath Abraham(AS) was not a Monotheist?as he did not know of Hazrath Muhammad(SAW) then nor was he given glad tidings of the birth to take place of Hazrath Muhammad(SAW) in the future...

Hazrath Abraham(AS) was a staunch Monotheist(Hanif/Haneef)...which is the fundamental dogma of Monotheism-Oneness of the Lord...which is present in Sikhism,Christianity,Judaism and Hinduism...

The advent of Hazrath Muhammad(SAW) was at the end of the lineage of Prophets/Messengers/Apostles...

xxx

Response: Hazrat Ibrahim is a muslim as well. But I don't want to confuse you so let me better clarify.

The definition of a muslim is "one who submits there will to Allah". So by definition, Hazrat Ibrahim is a muslim because he followed the will of Allah(swt). Yet when the prophet Muhammad was sent to us, under the definition of "one who submits their will to Allah" the way to submit to Allah is by obeying the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad(saw). That is why today, a muslim must accept and obey Muhammad (saw), while those before him did not, yet they are still muslims, because they submitted their will to Allah(swt). I was not aware that your question referred to non-muslims of all times, just today. That is why I said that a non-muslim is one who rejects Muhammad(saw) as a prohpet and does not follow his sunnah because today, that is the way one submits their will to Allah(swt).

Last edited:

Fatihah

Wasn't it me who created that thread.:drool:

Please please dont include Buddhists,Buddhism has no concept of God..It is non-theistic.Denying God may a great Shirk in Islam which Allah may not forgive.

Response: Then if this is the case, then Buddhist are also non-muslims as well.

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
Response: Hazrat Ibrahim is a muslim as well. But I don't want to confuse you so let me better clarify.

The definition of a muslim is "one who submits there will to Allah". So by definition, Hazrat Ibrahim is a muslim because he followed the will of Allah(swt). Yet when the prophet Muhammad was sent to us, under the definition of "one who submits their will to Allah" the way to submit to Allah is by obeying the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad(saw). That is why today, a muslim must accept and obey Muhammad (saw), while those before him did not, yet they are still muslims, because they submitted their will to Allah(swt).

Lolzzzzzzzzzz i still contradict your definition :p...

xxx

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Thank you Eselam for your contribution :)...

You mentioned a verse from the Holy Quraan:
"...and do not marry (your girls) to idolaters until they believe..." (Al-Baqarah: 221...

It states clearly by that Holy Quraanic verse you stated in your post-Muslim Women cant marry any Men who are Idolatorers(those who does not belive in Monotheism)...as Sikhism,Judaism,Christianity and Hinduism(only a certain sect within Hinduism who are Monotheists) renounce Idolatry as a sin and are Monotheistic Faiths-then does that mean a Muslim Woman can marry any of them Monothiestic Men of those Monotheist Faiths?

xxx

muslim women as well as men are discouraged to marry any monotheistic non muslims.

having said that even though a number of religions are monotheistic, muslims are allowed only to marry from the people of the book (Ehli Kitab).

A-ManESL

Response: A non-muslim is one who rejects Allah(swt) as God, the one and only, and his messenger as a true prophet, Prophet Muhammad (saw) and his sunnah. Thus this would include christians, jews, Sikh, Buddhist, etc.
I have two questions. Would you include Ahmadis in your definition of Muslim, or the Bahai faith. They satisfy your criteria of accepting Allah as the one and only God and the Prophet Muhammad as a true prophet. In a certain sense Ahmadis also follow the sunnah.

Secondly, is this your personal opinion, if not what is the source of your opinion?

Regards.

Last edited:

Metempsychosis

You make good and valid points. There are only a few Hindus who are completely dualistic. The monotheists I refered to still see everything in existence as part of God's energy rather than separate. I forgot about the impersonal nature of Islam although that does share some similarity with monistic Hindu ideas...do you think?

Uhh ..I forgot to see yours posts :eek:.The impersonal nature of Islam does not exactly match with Hinduism.Those sects which give more importance to impersonal feature believe in complete non-duality of creation and creator which is exactly opposed to Orthodox Islam.Moreover,they also consider the personal feature also to be true simultaneously. The monothesitic Hindus again emphasize personal God.Bothways,IMHO they are opposed to basic Islamic doctrines.Unless otherwise someone makes a compromise,I dont see any solution to settle this difference.

Fatihah

I have two questions. Would you include Ahmadis in your definition of Muslim, or the Bahai faith. They satisfy your criteria of accepting Allah as the one and only God and the Prophet Muhammad as a true prophet. In a certain sense Ahmadis also follow the sunnah.

Secondly, is this your personal opinion, if not what is the source of your opinion?

Regards.

Response: I am not very familiar with the Ahmadis and Bahai faith. But if the faiths reject Muhammad (saw) as the last prophet and rejects his sunnah, then they are not muslims. Evidence is in the qur'an when we read:

"O ye who believe! obey Allah and obey His Messenger and those who are in authority among you. And if you differ in anything refer it to Allah and His Messenger, if you are believers in the Last Day. That is best and most commendable in the end". Surah 4:59.

Here we are told told obey the Messenger, Prophet Muhammad. A muslim by definition is "one who submits there will to Allah". Evidence to this is any arabic/english dictionary. Thus if it is the commandment of Allah to obey the Messenger,Muhammad(saw), then a muslim is required to obey Muhammad because that is Allah's will.

A-ManESL

Response: I am not very familiar with the Ahmadis and Bahai faith. But if the faiths reject Muhammad (saw) as the last prophet and rejects his sunnah, then they are not muslims.

Thanks I just wanted to know your opinion. You just added the Prophet being the last prophet bit, which you hadn't said so in the earlier post; Ahmadis accept everything except this, hence my query.

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
muslim women as well as men are discouraged to marry any monotheistic non muslims.

having said that even though a number of religions are monotheistic, muslims are allowed only to marry from the people of the book (Ehli Kitab).

Fatihah it still dont make sense to me :S...

'Monotheists non-Muslims' you said-what do you mean?

Let's take 'non-Muslims' as 'non-Monotheists'...so are you saying Monotheists are non-Monotheists? :S...

A Monotheist is a Monotheist-simple!!!you cant like say just because you are a Muslim you are right or above all...

Monotheism exists in majority of the World religions...

All Monotheist do submit to there God(Allah,Aum,Onkar,Jehovah etc in their respective language)...so how does that make a Monotheist non-Monotheist?

Below are a few links of a few World religions and their meaning to the One God in their language means:

Allah(Arabic/Islam):'Allah' means 'One God' is Arabic...

http://www.godallah.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

http://www.imanway1.com/allahmeans.htm

Elah(Aramaic/Hebrew/Christianity/Judaism):'Elah' means 'One God' in Aramaic/Hebrew...

http://www.hebrew4christians.net/Names_of_G-d/Elah/elah.html

Maybe these might help?

xxx

Last edited:

nameless

The Creator
In islam, men are the head of household.
why it is that strict?

In islam, men are the head of household. Meaning, it is the responsibility of men to work and spend their income in taking care of the wife, the household, and the children. Giving that men have such a higher responsibility to the household and due to the sensitivity of women, it is more likely that in a marriage where the woman is a muslim and the man is not, that the woman will not be able to practice her religion in these circumstances. She can also be persuaded to leave her religion due to these circumstances. This is because naturally, she has much more to lose because the husband has such a greater responsibility over her and she relies so much on him.

there are muslim women who are capable to work and spend for their family, thus will get equal dignity as her husband, so why employed muslim women are not allowed for interfaith marriages?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
why it is that strict?

there are muslim women who are capable to work and spend for their family, thus will get equal dignity as her husband, so why employed muslim women are not allowed for interfaith marriages?

Because the Quran was written in a different time period where the culture was much different to now. It doesn't address the fact that society inevitably changes and thus different rules become more appropriate.