• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ISIS already iover?

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
The US military industrial complex is the reason we have microwave ovens, solar panels, internet, space ships, and Velcro. Also electric guitars are a result of it. I'm not saying I like the US military industrial complex and I agree with president Eisenhower that its dangerous to our way of life. I'm saying that now we have Velcro, and teddy bears do use Velcro. That's all I'm saying.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The US military industrial complex is the reason we have microwave ovens, solar panels, internet, space ships, and Velcro. Also electric guitars are a result of it. I'm not saying I like the US military industrial complex and I agree with president Eisenhower that its dangerous to our way of life. I'm saying that now we have Velcro, and teddy bears do use Velcro. That's all I'm saying.

Such an argument does not sound even remotely convincing to me. Surely most of those things that turned out useful would have come anyway without the distraction of a military financial bleed.

Who knows what else could not have come, perhaps even better, were it not for their existence?

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
Luis Dantes said:
Such an argument does not sound even remotely convincing to me. Surely most of those things that turned out useful would have come anyway without the distraction of a military financial bleed.

Who knows what else could not have come, perhaps even better, were it not for their existence?
No, it doesn't justify having a military industrial complex. The fact that Eisenhower disapproved of its size and influence is what I wanted to emphasize. Its existence has to do with war. The relationship between industry and military came about partly to keep the military from having its own manufacturing system, which probably was the good aspect. The size of it was due to the wars and the desire to keep a military advantage. The products, particularly solar panels, were things that probably wouldn't have been developed if the manufacturing had been left strictly up to the military which tends to squelch things to keep enemies from getting them.

But no, I definitely do not believe most of the listed products would ever have appeared without the military industrial complex. Probably never, ever ever.

Alceste

Vagabond
*chuckles*

I'm gonna go with fanaticism. I suspect if you ask a bunch of people there'd be a lot of answers along similar lines, but with some differences.
In truth, I guess, there will be multiple factors at play. But I think stabbing fanaticism in the heart (metaphorically) is tougher than blowing up an army.

Not necessarily. Check out True Believer. The popular appeal of extremism either grows or shrinks based on a number of reliable predictors. Mainly economic ones. The short version is that you should avoid having a lot of unemployed young men if you want to hit extremism right where it hurts.

Alceste

Vagabond
If just those military industrial complexes could retool to manufacture something more useful for the world like teddybears or something.:rolleyes:

Or clean energy. Wouldn't that be something. Our most dangerous existential threat is not each other any more.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Not necessarily. Check out True Believer. The popular appeal of extremism either grows or shrinks based on a number of reliable predictors. Mainly economic ones. The short version is that you should avoid having a lot of unemployed young men if you want to hit extremism right where it hurts.

Yes, but they're not quite as simple as 'see terrorist, bomb terrorist'. And some of the key predictors, such as education, have proven to be less reliable than was first thought.
My point was that asymmetrical war requires brain power more than strike power. Although I would note, I'm not a complete pacifist, and think military force can still play a role.
(We probably differ on that...!)

Aquitaine

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The short version is that you should avoid having a lot of unemployed young men if you want to hit extremism right where it hurts.

Hooray! (Oh, and maybe try education instead of indoctrination)

Sabour

I don't agree on the article.

Many of which are listed as enemies are actually allies behind the scenes.

MD

qualiaphile
Article just goes to show how incompetent and arrogant Western intelligence has become, ISIS is expanding even WITH US air strikes. They're about to take a Kurdish city in Syria and create further chaos in the middle east.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Article just goes to show how incompetent and arrogant Western intelligence has become, ISIS is expanding even WITH US air strikes. They're about to take a Kurdish city in Syria and create further chaos in the middle east.
A note about aerial bombing: It isn't about competence vs incompetence.
It's purpose is solely political & propagandistic. It won't achieve the stated objectives,
but they know that. What it will do is give the impression of doing something because
of the documentable massive devastation & death. And it has the advantages of only
great financial cost, with little risk of any Americastanian deaths.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Oh come on, my Tea Party buds have been telling me all along. ISIS is an invention of Obama, he'll kick their butts before the midterms.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh come on, my Tea Party buds have been telling me all along. ISIS is an invention of Obama, he'll kick their butts before the midterms.
Oh, they have it backwards.....ISIS is real...the butt kicking is pretend.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Picky, but it's the Hydra who grows a head. Chop off Medusa's noggin', and she's cooked. Although her decapitated head was still ugly enough to turn others to stone, from memory.

And as per the mythology, the only way to kill the Hydra was to stop chopping heads, and get to the heart.
I suspect it's a pretty good analogy in this case too, but what would you identify as the heart?

Socioeconomics, lack of jobs, infrastructure, and education.