• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isaac Newton's Views on Religion

RestlessSoul

There's speculation that Newton had Asperger's. The same is speculated about Einstein. I may have Asperger's. Those with Asperger's or high functioning autistic have higher mathematical capabilities than those with the same general intelligence by with those disorders. That explains why Mathematics was so easy for me. Physics is also a subject I was very good at because it has so much mathematics in it.

I don’t know about Asperger’s - it’s a bit tricky trying to diagnose historical figures with conditions that weren’t recognised in their time - but I imagine it must have been extremely difficult for true visionaries like Newton and Einstein, trying to communicate their novel ideas to an unreceptive and uncomprehending world. That experience probably left them both feeling isolated and misunderstood at times. As I’m sure, did Socrates, Christ and the Buddha.

firedragon

Veteran Member
We can make evidential claims that modern knowledge includes evidence that contradicts the OT and can suggest that people from historical times who preferred conclusions based on evidence may have different views today than they would have in their day when that knowledge wasn't available. It is, of course, speculative.

Yep. Speculative.

Its a valid speculation, but as you have clearly done it right, if I am making the same case, I also must say that what I say about one single individual in the 18th century is also speculation. Otherwise its called the fallacy of composition/division.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Yep. Speculative.

Its a valid speculation, but as you have clearly done it right, if I am making the same case, I also must say that what I say about one single individual in the 18th century is also speculation.

Yes, that's essentially what I suggested.

Otherwise its called the fallacy of composition/division.

That would be true if one were to say "all scientists believe that the OT is not historically accurate because a few scientists don't" or "this one scientist would believe the OT is not historically accurate because all other scientists don't."

That is demonstrably false.

But it seems that the other posters are suggesting the possibility based on his writings that Newton would have accepted modern evidence over the paradigms of his day. That is different from making the above claim.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Not what he is saying. But thanks.

I assume you are referring to danieldemol. This is his argument:

It is really quite simple.
1. Reading the OP gives the impression that Newton believed the Old Testament to give an accurate account of history.
2. What is now known of archaeology and geology etc tells us that the Old Testament is not historical
3. Therefore Newton's religious view appears outdated.

In my opinion.

This appears to me to be suggesting what I stated as:

"...the possibility based on his writings that Newton would have accepted modern evidence over the paradigms of his day."

firedragon

Veteran Member
I assume you are referring to danieldemol. This is his argument:

This appears to me to be suggesting what I stated as:

"...the possibility based on his writings that Newton would have accepted modern evidence over the paradigms of his day."

1. Do you believe that Isaac Newton was outdated in comparison to modern day theologians?
2. Why do you think so? What was Newtons theological views? Why are they outdated?
2. What did Newton say about the Old Testament?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
1. Do you believe that Isaac Newton was outdated in comparison to modern day theologians?
2. Why do you think so? What was Newtons theological views? Why are they outdated?

I am not making those arguments. I am suggesting that your assessment of the argument as a fallacy of composition or division is inappropriately applied.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I am not making those arguments. I am suggesting that your assessment of the argument as a fallacy of composition or division is inappropriately applied.

I have walked passed that mate. ITs a waste of time.

You dont know how wrong one could be when people just make opinions based on speculation.

Have a great day. Thanks for engaging.

John D. Brey

Einstein may have considered Newton to be the most advanced man of Newton's time scientifically (although I note you did not quote from him or provide a citation), but Einstein clearly did not share Newton's religious views.

They [great thoughts] come into being not through demonstration but through revelation, through the medium of powerful personalities. One must not attempt to justify them, but rather to sense their nature simply and clearly. The highest principals of our aspirations and judgments are given to us in the Jewish-Christian religious tradition.

Albert Einstein, Out of My Later Years, p. 22, 23.​

John

John D. Brey

But Newton did not even publish his religious views, so the likelihood of him leaving the greatly beneficial work of science for something trivial as theology seems slim.

Most of his science wasn't published until after his demise either. John Maynard Keynes purchased Newton's manuscripts. He said Newton wrote more theology than he wrote science. He said he wrote over a million words of theology with his own hand.

I just read about one of Newton's contemporaries telling him that he should stick to science and leave theological speculations to those who have the knowledge, time, and accumulation of information necessary to deal with such complex issues. Newton responded that he did have all those things regarding theology.

John

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I would like to tell you that every tom, dick and harry in the field of sociology of religion and history of religions knows that Isaac Newton was one of the most well known theologians in his time. Its a very interesting topic, although I dont understand from your post what your topic is.
What I hoped people would comment upon and discuss was the following:

Newton Predicts a Restoration of the True Gospel

And now the Gentiles have corrupted themselves, we may expect that God in due time will make a new reformation. And in all the reformations of religion hitherto made, the religion in respect of God and our neighbor is one and the same religion . . . so that this is the oldest religion in the world.[47]

Newton argued that it was the same religion that was restored from time to time by God because men deviated from this true religion. He concluded: “So then the mystery of this restitution of all things is to be found in all the Prophets: which makes me wonder with great admiration that so few Christians of our age can find it there.” [48]

danieldemol

Premium Member
Then that's contradicting your claim that Newton was outdated. ;)
Nope ;)
Views that do not take into account all the currently known evidence are outdated.

That a portion of any population holds onto outdated views makes them no less outdated.

For example there are YEC theologians today, doesnt mean their views aren't outdated.

They are simply not up to date with all the known evidence.

In my opinion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
They [great thoughts] come into being not through demonstration but through revelation, through the medium of powerful personalities. One must not attempt to justify them, but rather to sense their nature simply and clearly. The highest principals of our aspirations and judgments are given to us in the Jewish-Christian religious tradition.

Albert Einstein, Out of My Later Years, p. 22, 23.​

John
I dont think that Einstein's agreement to what he would have seen as the highest principles of aspirations means that he believed in a personal God that intervenes in the affairs of humans to reward and punish them like the story of Noah's flood for example.

At any rate that book was published in 1950.

In 1954 Einstein said, 'I cannot prove to you that there is no personal God, but if I were to speak of him, I would be a liar. I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil. My God created laws that take care of that. His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking but by immutable laws."[71]'

In my opinion.

firedragon

Veteran Member
What I hoped people would comment upon and discuss was the following:

And now the Gentiles have corrupted themselves, we may expect that God in due time will make a new reformation. And in all the reformations of religion hitherto made, the religion in respect of God and our neighbor is one and the same religion . . . so that this is the oldest religion in the world.[47]

Newton argued that it was the same religion that was restored from time to time by God because men deviated from this true religion. He concluded: “So then the mystery of this restitution of all things is to be found in all the Prophets: which makes me wonder with great admiration that so few Christians of our age can find it there.” [48]

Ah. I understand.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Views that do not take into account all the currently known evidence are outdated.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I don’t know about Asperger’s - it’s a bit tricky trying to diagnose historical figures with conditions that weren’t recognised in their time
Yes, it is tricky. There is disagreement about that. There were other indications besides being good at mathematical and physics, but it is unknown after all this time what is the cause of their personal characteristics. To me Einstein seemed too social for a characteristic autistic or Asperger's. He's the one I know most about. However, there is no typical person with Asperger's. They differ from each other. My son is autistic and cannot talk at all. I can definitely talk. I didn't know I was on the spectrum as they call it until after my son was diagnosed. I was self-diagnosed, then my wife were asked questions, and it was informally confirmed I was on the spectrum.

Clara Tea

A Brief Survey of Sir Isaac Newton's Views on Religion

Steven E. Jones

Newton was certainly one of the greatest scientists who ever lived. He laid out the three laws of motion in his extraordinary Principia Mathematica. He discovered the law of universal gravitation, the famous inverse-distance-squared law. He wrote much about light and optics after performing his own original experiments on light. He invented calculus. He rejected the authority of the Greek philosopher Aristotle and promoted experiment-based science.

But it is not commonly known that Newton was also a devout Christian who wrote extensively about Christianity. We learn from his writings that he deeply studied the Bible along with writings of early Christian leaders. Notably, Newton concluded that the dogma of a Triune god was false doctrine and therefore refused ordination in the Anglican Church, a most unpopular decision that almost cost him his position at Cambridge University. Newton also believed that a general apostasy from Christ’s doctrines occurred early on in the history of the Christian church, and he wrote that a restoration of the Lord’s church would come at some future time.

Although none of Newton’s religious writings were published during his lifetime, after his death in 1727, John Conduitt, executor of Newton’s will, [1] published some of his theological manuscripts. Eventually the remainder came forth when the manuscripts were auctioned off in 1936. [2] In this paper we will examine some of Newton’s copious writings on religion.

To continue breading: A Brief Survey of Sir Isaac Newton's Views on Religion | Religious Studies Center

Newton’s study of the scriptures brought him to the conclusion that just as there had been a falling away, there would also be a restoration of the true church of Jesus Christ. He quoted Malachi 3 and other scriptures in his commentary that are standard scriptural passages used by Latter-day Saints in discussing the restoration:

Behold I will send my messenger & he shall prepare the way before me & the Lord whom ye seek shall suddenly come to his temple—But who may abide the day of his coming? & who shall stand when he appeareth. Malachi 3.1, 2. [41]

And there appeared unto them Moses & Elias & they were talking with Jesus—And (the disciples) asked him saying why say the Scribes that Elias must first come And he answered & told them Elias verily cometh first & restoreth all things. . . . Mark 9.4, 11[–]13. . . . Jesus said unto them (his disciples) Elias shall first come & restore all things. . . . Matth 17.11. [42]

Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. Acts 3.21. [43]

I will lay the Land most desolate & the pomp of her strength shall cease, & the Mountains (i.e. Cities) of Israel shall be desolate. Ezek 33.28. [44]

Jerusalem shall become heaps, & the Mountain of the house as the high-places of the Forest: But in the last days it shall come to pass that the Mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established in the top of the Mountains & it shall be exalted above the hills &c i.e. above all other temples. Mica 3.12. [45]

So in Dan 2 The new Jerusalem extending its dominion over the earth is represented by a great mountain which filled the whole Earth. [46]

Newton found multiple examples throughout history of reformations by God:

The worship which is due to this God we are to give to no other nor to ascribe anything absurd or contradictious to his nature or actions lest we be found to blaspheme him or to deny him or to make a step towards atheism or irreligion. . . . For as often as mankind has swerved from them, God has made a reformation. When the sons of Adam erred and the thoughts of their heart became evil continually, God selected Noah to people a new world. And when the posterity of Noah transgressed and began to invoke dead men, God selected Abraham and his posterity. And when they transgressed in Egypt God reformed them by Moses. And when they relapsed to idolatry and immorality, God sent Prophets to reform them and punished them by the Babylonian captivity. And when they that returned from captivity, mixed human inventions with the law of Moses under the name of traditions, and laid the stress of religion not upon the acts of the mind, but upon outward acts and ceremonies, God sent Christ to reform them. And when the nation received him not, God called the Gentiles. And now the Gentiles have corrupted themselves, we may expect that God in due time will make a new reformation. And in all the reformations of religion hitherto made, the religion in respect of God and our neighbor is one and the same religion . . . so that this is the oldest religion in the world.[47]

A Brief Survey of Sir Isaac Newton's Views on Religion | Religious Studies Center

View attachment 55706

Physicists are not theologians. This is like the Army.....you're a great cook, then join the typing pool.....you're a good driver, then march to the front lines.....you type with one finger, then type labels on medicine bottles. The Army is known for assigning the wrong people to the wrong task.

However, there is no driving test for religion...everyone is free to have an opinion....even Newton.

Newton noted the various instances of God reforming humans. But God was all knowing and knew the future. Why was it necessary for God to change the system if he knew that the system was broken when he started it?