• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Vegetarian for you?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Veggie meat is gross and I don’t think I could handle a diet of tofu, lentils, beans, vegetables, seeds, and nuts on top of the grains I currently eat.
I can certainly enjoy a veggie meal. Delicious food is delicious food and on principle, it doesn't really matter what the ingredients are (well... assuming we are talking nutritious food anyway... I do care about "chemicals" etc in the food -whatever the food is).

But I can equally enjoy a nice piece of meat.

Committing to never eating meat again out of my own free will? No. Not for me.

I try to have a balanced diet. And that includes the regular and / or occasional juicy cow, chicken, rabbit, lamb, ...
I have no ideological problem with it at all.

I wouldn't eat say steak every day... but not because of the "poor cows". Rather for the same reason that I wouldn't eat french fries everyday: it's just not healthy.

Little Dragon

I wouldn't eat say steak every day... but not because of the "poor cows". Rather for the same reason that I wouldn't eat french fries everyday: it's just not healthy.
I would if I could get away with it, but the missus would not allow.
Sirloin steak 500g at least, very well done, no sauce, no vegetables, maybe some steak chips (fries?) lots of sea salt. Yum yum..

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I would if I could get away with it, but the missus would not allow.
Sirloin steak 500g at least, very well done, no sauce, no vegetables, maybe some steak chips (fries?) lots of sea salt. Yum yum..

I think you got mixed up there, the phrase is "very rare"

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is it moral to kill other sentient beings for food, just because we can? Does might make right?

Do clever people have a right to exploit the less clever, just because they're less clever? Is there an intelligence based hierarchy of moral obligation?

What confers a right to moral consideration? Intelligence? Self-interest? Capacity for happiness, fear, or suffering; a right-to life?

If intellectually and technologically superior little green men came down from Mars and began harvesting humans for food, would that be OK; would they have the moral right to do that?

Just something to think about. I also have environmental concerns.

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Veggie meat is gross and I don’t think I could handle a diet of tofu, lentils, beans, vegetables, seeds, and nuts on top of the grains I currently eat.

My best advice is don’t eat mung beans and smoke.

Shaul

Premium Member
Is it moral to kill other sentient beings for food, just because we can? Does might make right?
Do clever people have a right to exploit the less clever, just because they're less clever? It there an intelligence based hierarchy of moral obligation?
What confers a right to moral consideration? Intelligence? Self-interest? Capacity for happiness, fear, or suffering; a right-to life?
If intellectually and technologically superior little green men came down from mars and began harvesting humans for food, would that be OK; would they have the moral right to do that?

Just something to think about. I also have environmental concerns.
Eating meat and animal products doesn't require killing any beings. Eating animals or animal products, per se, is no more environmentally costly than not eating them. It depends on how it is done.

Shaul

Premium Member
Mind = blown.

I can't wait to hear how you eat meat without killing any [sentient] beings...
You only eat the meat of animals that are already dead from a cause other than yourself. Animals can die without you being the one that killed them.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You only eat the meat of animals that are already dead from a cause other than yourself. Animals can die without you being the one that killed them.
List these causes aside from the ones @Secret Chief and I have already mentioned.

Either that or tell us the last time you ate meat from an animal that died of either of the causes mentioned.

Shaul

Premium Member
Or roadkill.

That puts us right up there with the buzzards.
Or you wait around animals that you know will die. For example salmon die shortly after spawning. Simply be around where they spawn and harvest them right after they die.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Or you wait around animals that you know will die. For example salmon die shortly after spawning. Simply be around where they spawn and harvest them right after they die.
How many times this month you have you dined on meat from animals that died of natural causes?

Shaul

Premium Member
List these causes aside from the ones @Secret Chief and I have already mentioned.

Either that or tell us the last time you ate meat from an animal that died of either of the causes mentioned.
See my post about salmon. It is entirely possible to raise salmon in farms and only harvest them after they spawn.