• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Vegetarian for you?

Shaul

Premium Member
NoAnd for every hen raised for egg production purposes, one male chick is ground ("macerated") or gassed. Male chicks are deemed unproductive for the egg industry, as they do not lay eggs, and their meat has no economic value for the meat industry. The latest figure for this practice is 330 million a year in Europe alone.

Which is irrelevant since producing chickens and eggs can be at home and not by industry. Would you like me to post pictures of some of the worst agricultural practices of vegetarian sources like slash and burn? That would be equally irrelevant. You are posting red herrings because you can't dispute the main point.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Small bands/packs of carnivores can be sustained with wild game. A modern population cannot.
None of this is relevant since I never wrote that I did these things, only that it is possible. Which it is. You can't claim that all eating of animals requires killing them. Period.
True. But we couldn't sustain a population with animals that died of natural causes. Even a band of Neanderthals couldn't sustain itself by scavenging dead animals.
Furthermore it is also possible to humanely and cruelty-freely euthanize animals in order to eat them. Regardless of whether you personally object to that being possible or not. If you want to go down the path of denying any distinction between euthanizing and killing then you must also condemn all the veterinarians that euthanize animals to end their suffering.
Euthanasia is still thanasia. Is killing a person OK if done humanely?
It's more than causing pain or suffering. There's an issue of theft of life.

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
Small bands/packs of carnivores can be sustained with wild game. A modern population cannot.
An argument made without any evidence.
True. But we couldn't sustain a population with animals that died of natural causes. Even a band of Neanderthals couldn't sustain itself by scavenging dead animals.
So? That isn't required since most people don't have a moral issue with slaughtering animals for food.
Euthanasia is still thanasia. Is killing a person OK if done humanely?
It's more than causing pain or suffering. There's an issue of theft of life.
That is a false argument. Animals aren't people. Killing an animal is not morally equivalent to killing a person.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An argument made without any evidence.
If predator numbers approached the numbers of prey , the prey species would be wiped out.
Do you seriously think that a city could sustainably live off the local deer population?

Why do you think human populations didn't begin increasing before the invention of agriculture and animal husbandry?

So? That isn't required since most people don't have a moral issue with slaughtering animals for food.
Most cultures invent justifications, religious or otherwise, for their accustomed practices. Slavery was justified. The Holocaust was justified.

That is a false argument. Animals aren't people.
OK. Make your case. Begin with a definition of "people."
Killing an animal is not morally equivalent to killing a person.
Make your case. Why? What are your criteria for moral obligation?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
None of this is relevant since I never wrote that I did these things, only that it is possible. Which it is. You can't claim that all eating of animals requires killing them. Period.

Furthermore it is also possible to humanely and cruelty-freely euthanize animals in order to eat them. Regardless of whether you personally object to that being possible or not. If you want to go down the path of denying any distinction between euthanizing and killing then you must also condemn all the veterinarians that euthanize animals to end their suffering.
I've started debates on euthanasia.

It has been and continues to be my stance that euthanasia is either assisted suicide or killing.

Humane killing is still killing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Which is irrelevant since producing chickens and eggs can be at home and not by industry. Would you like me to post pictures of some of the worst agricultural practices of vegetarian sources like slash and burn? That would be equally irrelevant. You are posting red herrings because you can't dispute the main point.
You've already admitted to eating eggs "daily sort of." How many eggs have you eaten this month that came from chickens in your home?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I found it difficult to eat vegetarian in my teenage years, mostly because I didn't eat for myself. I found it remarkably easy in my 30s when my spouse wanted to stop eating meat.

Currently, I am a flexitarian. I eat meat when it is offered to me or if it is going to be wasted.