• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is using the word "IF" legitimate in front of "God's" question ?

chinu

chinu
For example: IF God existed, then blah blah blah.

Does't such questions predetermine the non-existence of God, If anyone answer such question ?

Kinda trap loll.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Does't such questions predetermine the non-existence of God, If anyone answer such question ?

Kinda trap loll.

Well... all it does is examine a hypothetical. And it can also predetermine the non-existence of God. It depends on context and the persons viewpoint.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Kinda trap loll.
Firstly a statement containing "if" is a conditional statement, not a question.

Secondly, making conditional statements about God's existence does not predetermine anything. Nor does it presuppose anything, which is maybe what you meant.

That is the whole point of a conditional statement - to avoid presupposing something relevant to whatever you want to speak about.

chinu

chinu
Firstly a statement containing "if" is a conditional statement, not a question.

Secondly, making conditional statements about God's existence does not predetermine anything. Nor does it presuppose anything, which is maybe what you meant

That is the whole point of a conditional statement - to avoid presupposing something relevant to whatever you want to speak about.
You mean questions starting with IF aren't questions actually ?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Kinda trap loll.

No. It offers God's existence as a hypothetical.

If anything, I think it predetermines that God no longer exists given the past tense of the verb in the statement.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You mean questions starting with IF aren't questions actually ?
You can tack a question onto the end of a conditional statement of course. So for instance you can say either:

- If God exists, then it seems to me his first creative act would have been to establish the laws of nature, or

- If God exists, how could we tell?

In both cases the aim is to avoid presupposing whether God exists or not and to leave it open.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Kinda trap loll.
In mixed company, I talk like this all the time. It's respectful of those who do not believe in the same things that I do.

The qualifier is inserted so that my words don't sound preachy, even though yes, you're right; it's kinda BS.

chinu

chinu
A believer speaking to an atheist.

Atheist: There is no God that is why there is so much suffering in the world.

Believer: If God existed, do you think that he would allow suffering like this? Do you think it might be part of his plan.

Can any believer believe that water is dry ? Never.
Because, a believer always need some kind of suspect to believe something.

"Believing in something" in itself is kinda a suspect-condition.
Otherwise there would have been no need of believe. Rather simply just sure.

Therefore, believer speaking to an atheist, is equal to atheist speaking to atheist.
Please give some another example :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No. Quite the opposite. It avoids any presupposition.
A statement like "The Bible was inspired by God" does presuppose God. Adding "if" does not; it just changes the statement to a hypothetical or conditional.
I disagree. People believe all sorts bizarre things, completely without support.
There's a need to believe?
Many believers claim they are sure.
Therefore, believer speaking to an atheist, is equal to atheist speaking to atheist.
Huh?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

That doesn't follow. The very fact that we call them "believers" require that they believe. If they were simply sure, then they wouldn't be believers anymore.

But I think I know where you are heading. The problem is that you are using the wrong words.
Theist and atheist are positions on belief, not knowledge. Someone being sure is a knowledge claim, not a belief claim.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But "sure" doesn't obviate belief, it's just a personal assessment of a belief. Being sure of something doesn't mean you don't believe it.

chinu

chinu
No. It offers God's existence as a hypothetical.
If this is so,
Then any such question is legitimate for atheist asking to atheist, NOT theist.

Any such question is NOT legitimate for theists
Because theists DOES-NOT hypothetical the existence of God.
Rather, theist's are sure about God.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Kinda trap loll.

I see it more as a question which may directed at someone's idea of God. It's not just about existence or non-existence, but about certain character traits ascribed to God by those who believe in God and propagate such beliefs. Such as when people say "God loves us" or "God is all-powerful and all-knowing."

It wouldn't necessarily predetermine the non-existence of "God" overall, but it may challenge certain specific concepts of God which are commonly held by many in our society.