• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Trinity in the Bible?

A

angellous_evangellous

jgallandt said:
http://www.the-faith.org.uk/church.html Interesting reading. There are a bunch that explain the mis-translation. The point being, it does not appear in the Bible, either does the word trinity. But that does not mean they don't exist.
The same faulty argument can be made for every word of the Greek text. No English words appear in the text, so nothing that we believe comes from the Bible.

EDIT:
Yor reasoning fails because the word for church is in the Greek text. A dynamic equivalent exists in the English language for the word that appears in Greek. However, there is no Greek word for Trinity because the theology of the Trinity is an interpretation of a collection of biblical texts.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
angellous_evangellous said:
The same faulty argument can be made for every word of the Greek text. No English words appear in the text, so nothing that we believe comes from the Bible.
We are getting off track here. I disagree with your statement, but that was not the point I was making. :p

Yasin

NetDoc said:
I agree and disagree with Kat!

We should abandon these man made concepts like "trinity" and this includes "godhead" as well (sorry). Instead of trying to force the scriptures to fit our perceptions of reality, lets try to force our reality to fit the scriptures. :D
I agree:)

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I see you edited your post after I posted. Let me point something out. If English words appeared in the Greek text, there would be no need to translate, would there? :D

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Unfortunately,

the term ecclesia has been misunderstood by most christians. I simply refer to them as the "FFOF", or the "Faithful Few On Fire!" A good word study to get a grasp on what the church is all about is "remanant". It just might open your eyes!

A

angellous_evangellous

jgallandt said:
We are getting off track here. I disagree with your statement, but that was not the point I was making. :p
Ah, I must have misread

"The word 'Church' was never used in the Bible either, but that does not mean that it does not exist. :D It, to me, does not matter if someone uses the word trinity to describe the Father, the Son and the Holly Spirit. What's more important, Echoing ND, Christ's teachings or a word to describe something that helps some people to understand?"

"The point being, it does not appear in the Bible, either does the word trinity. But that does not mean they don't exist."
----

So what are you trying to say?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
LOL. Once again, if someone wants to use the word trinity to help them understand, more power to them. Just because the Bible does not use that exact word, does not mean it is wrong to use it. To each their own. :D

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
NetDoc said:
Unfortunately,

the term ecclesia has been misunderstood by most christians. I simply refer to them as the "FFOF", or the "Faithful Few On Fire!" A good word study to get a grasp on what the church is all about is "remanant". It just might open your eyes!
Post me a link, kind sir! :D

fromthe heart

Katzpur said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to just speak of the Godhead and base our knowledge of the nature and relationship of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost on what the Bible has to say? For 325 years, Christians managed to do quite nicely without the embellished version.
I personally don't feel it is embellished at all... In the Garden Jesus then prayed to WHO? Why then did Jesus say it could be forgiven to speak wrongly of Him But NOT of the HOLY GHOST? I'm sorry but the way it appears to me is there IS a GODHEAD of 3 that are ONE and trinity is just a way to describe in our language of understanding....at least we haven't taken any of the Bible and reworded it to our liking as in the non-KJV's...There are 13 wrong interpertations in the KJV but those that testify to God the Father,God the Son, and the HOLY SPIRIT are NOT among them!

Man made concepts
You see these as man made how? It states all the way through the scriptures in one sense or another of one of the 3 in the Godhead in some capacity being refered as one of the 3 in the Godhead.

Our teachings in our church is only based on scripture and we don't have any other book taught from..such as the book of morman,or revised versions of what some say is easier to understand....we do not make up anything or take anything away.(not saying that the book of morman does) but the revised additions have changed some of the proper text into something totally different than what it was intended to mean...I will not continue with this since you all feel it's ok to be duped by false teachings...I will stand by what we acknowledge to be the Trinity even if it is NOT written as such in scripture becasue it is a DESCRIPTION not scripture and most when upon learning of the scripture that speaks of the Father or the Son or the Holy Ghost(Sririt) properly do understand that it speaks of the same and is NOT confussing if spoke of properly. If you have ever refered to any other words to get your point across other than scripture based words alone please tell me your opinion...if not I will chose for myself what I see in scriptures...show me scripture and you can change my mind.

Respectfully,
FTH

Yasin

wmam said:
To me the trinity is false.

And I quote........
In the great congregational Shema, we read that there is but one Creator, and His name is YAH. And over 1500 years later, the Messiah quotes the identical Shemaic passage in the book of Matthew:

Mark 12:28-29 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? And YAHshua answered him, the first of all the commandments is, Hear O Israel; YAH our Elohim is one.

And his scribe answered:

Mark 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one Elohim; and there is none other but he.

Well said, indeed! But now, over 2000 years later, we are being inundated with a doctrine of a "Trinity", a doctrine of polytheism that claims a "triune" existence of "God the Father", "God the Son", and "God the Holy Spirit", all being separate – and yet all being equal and all being one. Notice secular history on the trinity:

Trinity (theology), in Christian theology, doctrine that God exists as three persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—who are united in one substance or being . . . The term trinitas was first used in the 2nd century, by the Latin theologian Tertullian, but the concept was developed in the course of the debates on the nature of Christ (see Christology). In the 4th century, the doctrine was finally formulated; using terminology still employed by Christian theologians, the doctrine taught the coequality of the persons of the Godhead. "Trinity (theology)," Microsoft® Encarta® Encyclopedia 2000. © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Where in scripture can we find Trinitarian support from the Messiah, a Prophet, an Apostle or a disciple stating that YAHshua, our King is indeed the Most High Creator or even equal to?

We see above that the Holy Scriptures proclaim that there is but one Master. And in the "New Testament" scriptures, the Messiah himself is undoubtedly in agreement.

End of quote.......
Truly your concept of God is Islamic, what is your Religion?
Respectively, Yasin:bounce

Yasin

"O mankind! The messenger (Muhammed pbuh) has come unto you with the truth from your Lord. Therefore believe; (it is) better for you. But if you disbelieve, still, lo! unto Allah belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and the earth, and Allah(God) is the all-knowing, the wise. O people of the scripture, do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus the son of Mary was only a messenger of Allah and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not "three." Desist, (it is) better for you. Verily Allah is one God. Far exalted is He above having a son. His is all that is in the heavens and the Earth, and suffice in Allah as a Trustee. The Messiah will never scorn to be the slave of Allah, nor will the favored angels. Whoso scorneth His service and is proud, all such will He assemble unto Him; Then, as for those who believed and did good works, unto them will He pay their rewards in full and He will add unto them from His bounty. And as for those who were scornful and proud, them will he punish with a painful torture and they will not find for themselves any other than Allah as a friend or a supporter" Al-Nissa(4):170-173. That is what the Quran has to say for the matter,

A

angellous_evangellous

NetDoc said:
Although it's not germane to THIS discussion, you can find my total belief system described RIGHT HERE!
Thanks for being so clear. Is there any particular reason why you tout the NIV? The ESV is available on the same page, and is much more reliable. :eek:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
angellous_evangellous said:
Thanks for being so clear. Is there any particular reason why you tout the NIV? The ESV is available on the same page, and is much more reliable. :eek:
Although this question is not germane to the current question either, I would point out that I like it better. Neither seem to be appreciably different, and I have spent my entire Christian existence using the NIV.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I too read the NIV, until I got a Catholic Bible, and I find that so easy to read and understand. I mostly play in the NT, but it's so fluid.