• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Thought a thing and can exist on its own

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
My theory is that thought is a thing and exists separate from the body.

If used I can explain God, Aliens, Ghosts, psyic ablilities and creation as a whole but it must be a thing.

Philosophy is used to push the boundries of science and I would like to push those boundries.

I don't care what Plato thinks or what God would say. I would like modern Idea's for or against from intelligent people that I can debate. I have been on the site long enough to determine I could get a wide range of good ideas from this forum.

I would like to offer this as a new philosophy down the line and would appreciate any help you could give me.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Well, it is certainly an interesting thought and one worth exploring.

You say that this could explain many things, but you don't explain why or how you came to this conclusion. It is not enough to simply say that it is convenient, therefore it is true.

Do you have anything to back up this claim?

As it stands, I would have to be of the old-fasioned community that believes that a thought needs a body (that is thinking it) in order to exist. But I am open to persuasion. :)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Another question:
Do you think that thoughts are then just something that happens to us (ie, we collide with thought, thereby thinking it) or do you think that we ourselves are active creators of thoughts?

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
I don't think thoughts are external to the body, but the stimulai for them certainly does.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Well, it is certainly an interesting thought and one worth exploring.

You say that this could explain many things, but you don't explain why or how you came to this conclusion. It is not enough to simply say that it is convenient, therefore it is true.
:)

I am not trying to say it is true yet. I am looking for reasons from others as to why thought is or is not a thing.

But to start down a path.

If thought was a thing. What is a ghost but the thoughts of a dead person existing searching for its new home.

People have said when they died they see a ball of light that they are being pulled to is this just the home of all thoughts.

Psychic ablities can be explained easily if thought was a thing itself.

There are studies I could quote and I could explain my concept of God but I would like that debate for later I am concerned with your thoughts on the concept of thought as a thing.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The average human brain has 100 billion neurons and over 100 trillion synapses.

What a horribly inefficient use of biological resources and energy if thoughts can simply float around in the air.

Troublemane

hmmm...since everything we perceive as being "outside" our body are mere mental images of what our senses are telling us is "out there",...in reality, its ALL "in here".

Besides, what is it exactly which separates you and the rest of the cosmos? If thought is a vibration within the brain, and all paricles in existence are connected, then thought vibrates throughout the Cosmos. :angel2:

(take that Kant! *pokes Kant in the eye*)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I am not trying to say it is true yet. I am looking for reasons from others as to why thought is or is not a thing.

Well, then.
Once a thought is, er... thought, sure it's a thing, since a thing is just a noun. I think that a thought would need some sort of a consciousness to gain existence. (ie, it needs a "body" to be created in the first place).

Once a thought gains existence, it can only gain freedom from its body by being shared with another consciousness. It can gain immortality by being written or recorded. It can therefore "live" longer than the body that created it.

I do not see a thought as having any substance, though it can affect the physical world.

If a thought were to ever spontaneously generate, I think it would be called God. For what else is God but a thought with superpowers?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

If used I can explain God, Aliens, Ghosts, psyic ablilities and creation as a whole but it must be a thing.
What if thought and body are things that can exist separate from you? It could be used in the same way, only then you'd be the god, alien, ghost, etc.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The notion thought might exist apart from the body sounds very Christian to me.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Doesn't the fact that thought survives transmission evidence the fact that it can exist independently of the body?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I see thought as an output, in where the brain or (part of) human is the device to generate the output.

Thought can be a trigger to generate new output just as hard, but only once it is allready a thought. Without the device to generate a new output, no new thoughts will arive.

Purelly the question about a thought without a body is simple, yet not your idea of it. Because an output can be tranferred/copied. In this case through paper, computer, other humans..

S-word

Thought is spirit and a disembodied spirit cannot exist.
A spirit that had developed in a living human body through the information and experiences that are feed into the living human body through the senses of that body, which is animated by the universal soul and which human spirit is imprinted on the universal life force, which is the Logos that is the divine animating principle that pervades the entire universal body, and the human thoughts cannot exist after the universal soul leaves that human body which converts back to the elements of the universal body from which the human body, skin, flesh, nerves, muscle, brain matter etc, was created.

That is, unless of course, those thoughts that developed in the human body, remain united to the evolving ancestral spirit which was the living singularity at the beginning of this period of universal activity, that had become the living human body, and was the indwelling ancestral spirit behind the veil to the inner most sanctuary of his tent, which was the physical human body in which you the spiritual godhead to that body had developed. For if that human spirit, that is the you, that had developed in the human body is later separated from the life force of the universal body, it then becomes a disembodied and lifeless spirit.

Last edited:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
A spirit that had developed in a living human body, through the information and experiences that are feed into the living human body through the senses of that body, which is animated by the universal soul and which human spirit is imprinted on the universal life force which is the Logos that is the divine animating principle that pervades the entire universal body, and the human thoughts cannot exist after the universal soul leaves that human body which converts back to the elements of the universal body from which the human body, skin, flesh, nerves, muscle, brain matter etc, was created.

:eek: Do you realize all this text is only one sentence????? :eek:

I read it 3 times now and this is simply to long , I gave up..:sad4: