• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this Statement Correct in Your View?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I think the 'how' applies to scientific understanding, and 'why' is outside its purview.

The fact that atheism and scientism often coincide does not mean they are the same thing.

An atheist just doesn't have a belief in any deities, or anything they consider a deity.
Thanks for explaining that. Can an atheist believe in a cosmic, interconnected mind? I'm just wondering because at times I subscribe to pantheism.

RedDragon94

Not very often, no. I agree with him on some things (though even then I often disapprove of the way in which he presents them) and disagree on others. It’s actually a good example of my point.
Okay. So in a non-scientific way why do you think we're here?

dust1n

Zindīq
What I don't understand is why atheism assumes that nature can be completely figured out. You're not going to solve every mystery out there. Science can't give you advice on metaphysics.

Atheism doesn't assume that nature can be completely figured out. In fact, I'd think the opposite if more true. Science can't give me metaphysics, nor did I ever ask for it too. But then again, metaphysics by itself can't give me anything either way.

Last edited:

HonestJoe

Okay. So in a non-scientific way why do you think we're here?
I'm not convinced there needs to be a reason. Maybe we just are. If there is a reason there doesn't seem to be any reliable way for us to know what that is so it's not something I spend much time worrying about.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Atheism ignores the why [of how we got here] and only looks at the how. They do not care if there is a why, how we got here is all that matters. For instance, there is no inherent meaning in the universe to the Atheist. (Am I right?)

Please discuss.
To most athestis the "why" is a very importnat question. However it usually takes the form of "how" rather than "why". Just because you don't ascribe intent and purpose to the universe doesn't mean you don't wonder where you came from. In fact I find the answer to be far more interesting since religious people throw that out as they already have the "answer" they were looking for. It is the atheists that are searching and asking that question in reality.

RedDragon94

To most athestis the "why" is a very importnat question. However it usually takes the form of "how" rather than "why". Just because you don't ascribe intent and purpose to the universe doesn't mean you don't wonder where you came from. In fact I find the answer to be far more interesting since religious people throw that out as they already have the "answer" they were looking for. It is the atheists that are searching and asking that question in reality.
Maybe the answer isn't religion as much as it is philosophy.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I see no reason to think that our projection of "why" would even be meaningful to anything beyond us - along with all of the other human attributes that people project onto their invented god images. The view of god as nothing more than a person who has super powers always struck me as not only arrogant, but also lacking in even the barest conception of what godhood would entail.

Kirran

Premium Member
Thanks for explaining that. Can an atheist believe in a cosmic, interconnected mind? I'm just wondering because at times I subscribe to pantheism.

Glad you found it helpful ;)

Depends if they call it God, maybe? These are ultimately labels, and words are what we decide they mean.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
So you don't agree with Dawkins?
Atheism ignores the why [of how we got here] and only looks at the how. They do not care if there is a why, how we got here is all that matters. For instance, there is no inherent meaning in the universe to the Atheist. (Am I right?)

Please discuss.
I disagree with the statement.

Mostly because it is attaching a bunch of nonsense to the word atheist.
It would be like if I was to say that theism ignores the how in favour of their hope for an after life.

Though perhaps true for some theists, it does not work as a blanket statement for all theists.

I have found that most wide brush blanket statements like the OP only apply to really small amount of those it is attempting to describe.

RedDragon94

I disagree with the statement.

Mostly because it is attaching a bunch of nonsense to the word atheist.
It would be like if I was to say that theism ignores the how in favour of their hope for an after life.

Though perhaps true for some theists, it does not work as a blanket statement for all theists.

I have found that most wide brush blanket statements like the OP only apply to really small amount of those it is attempting to describe.
Okay, I'll try to think about it if I ever get like this again.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Okay, I'll try to think about it if I ever get like this again.
I find it helps to remember that:
  1. Westboro Baptist Church does not represent all Christianity.
  2. ISIS does not represent all of Islam.
  3. Richard Dawkins does not represent all of atheism.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Atheists irl, the discussions aren't that involved. It's more like, the bible is false, evolution is real, etc.

nothing that metapysical

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Human desire for something to exist is the usually the main reason something exists, if that something isn't actually a physical object that can be touched.

*prods*

Hmm...you seem like you're actually back. Am I mistaken?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheists irl, the discussions aren't that involved. It's more like, the bible is false, evolution is real, etc.

nothing that metapysical

I think you might be overstating things, although I'd agree that there are plenty of RL atheists who just aren't interested. I guess RF is not particularly representative, really.

Considering the number of atheists who are materialists though, it's hardly surprising that 'metaphysical' conversations are limited. Perhaps you might consider philosophical conversations as a more common level of 'complex dialogue' for atheists?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Please discuss.

I think your statement would hold true for some (maybe even many) atheists.
However, it doesn't hold true for atheism, per se. Ultimately, atheism says very little, in and of itself. But atheists have thoughts beyond atheism.

Speaking for myself (atheist rather than atheism) I tend to think the why is unknowable or doesn't exist. And I have only a sporadic interest in the how. I'm much more interested in how we live, and how we have gotten to this point in human history.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I think you might be overstating things, although I'd agree that there are plenty of RL atheists who just aren't interested. I guess RF is not particularly representative, really.

Considering the number of atheists who are materialists though, it's hardly surprising that 'metaphysical' conversations are limited. Perhaps you might consider philosophical conversations as a more common level of 'complex dialogue' for atheists?

I don't know/ For me, irl means, philosophical theisms, or atheism. /and it's not really forefront at all, i'm talking just an occasional discussion. Hence, that may be an idea, but it seems to r=take theism bent in my neighborhood. *shrugs*

not a lot of 'religious talk', for me, my friend. in general

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know/ For me, irl means, philosophical theisms, or atheism. /and it's not really forefront at all, i'm talking just an occasional discussion. Hence, that may be an idea, but it seems to r=take theism bent in my neighborhood. *shrugs*

not a lot of 'religious talk', for me, my friend. in general

Yep, fair enough. I get some IRL, from both theists and atheists, but it's not the 'norm'. Just some particular people who like talking about it.
Oftentimes we are not talking about the truth of religion, moreso the impact of religion.

And philosophy is often a discussion rolled out after a couple of drinks...

;)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Please discuss.

Maybe there are two types of atheists?

By default, I wasn't taught nor raised to think of why I am here. It has nothing to do with my not believing in deities. That's a default. I don't see the connection. Not all "why we are here" questions are religious in nature. Some atheist may like to dream, others ponder over their purpose in life as many do during their teenage years. It depends.

The only connection I see with why-questions and atheists is when atheists ask questions, their answers aren't religious/deity focused in nature. Many atheist are religious, though. So, maybe this is directed to a certain audience?