• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this humane?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
That's not the horror of capital punishment, the actual execution. Which can be relatively quick and painless. Depending.

No. The true horror of capital punishment. Is death row.
I should imagine it would be like having your blood taken

The worst bit isn't when they stick the needle in

The worst bit is the anticipation

That and the horrible slurping noise it always makes

(I have to get my bloods taken every month)

I should imagine that with having a lethal injection it would be much the same

Little Dragon

The worst bit isn't when they stick the needle in

The worst bit is the anticipation

That and the horrible slurping noise it always makes

(I have to get my bloods taken every month)

I should imagine that with having a lethal injection it would be much the same
I'd rather just be shot by firing squad. If I had the option. I am a traditionalist at heart.

We Never Know

No Slack
Is it? I am not sure I agree. If you stray off into the wild and get eaten by a Bear or a Cougar, then that's not really the Bear's or Cougar's fault.
They are man eaters by nature.
Evidently its right because its what done to dogs, bears, etc.

I don't fully agree with it, however if it was my family member that the animal killed, I would say yes kill it.
I feel the same about a human.

Last edited:

Little Dragon

don't fully agree with it, however if it was my family member that was killed, I would say yes kill it.
I feel the same about a human.
Of course, you would be grieving and ****ing furious!
I'd expect nothing less from someone with family.
All bets are off when it's family.
Hence why criminals often have to be protected from would be avenging family members, ordinarily law abiding men and women, ready to kill if they get the chance.

Erebus

Not really. Lethal injections in the US usually involve administering three drugs. The first is a sedative, the second causes muscle paralysis and respiratory failure, the third induces a heart attack.

People who have survived lethal injections paint a pretty horrific image of the second two drugs. They described being unable to move, speak or breathe as fire flows through their veins.

The fact that people have survived lethal injections should itself demonstrate the problem with it. Executions are frequently carried out without a trained anaesthesiologist at hand. This makes it more difficult to determine whether the drugs have been administered properly and whether the prisoner is fully unconscious before the second and third drugs are administered. There have even been accounts of prison staff struggling to find a vein at all and resorting to repeatedly jabbing needles until they think they've found one.

If every step of a lethal injection goes smoothly then yes, it's a reasonably painless death. If even one step goes wrong, it's an excruciating death. The simple fact of the matter is that we just don't know how many prisoners have died in agony while being unable to tell prison staff that something has gone wrong.

Perhaps some people are comfortable with prisoners suffering a painful death. I have to admit that I wouldn't lose too much sleep if it had happened to Hitler. However, I recognise that this is due to my own hatred of them and my desire for revenge. I can't claim it's based on any noble desire to see justice done.

As a final note, I'll add another reason why I oppose both the death penalty and miserable prison conditions. Some prisoners are genuinely innocent. We can only provide estimates of how many death row inmates are innocent but the most common figure I've seen is around 4% That's disturbingly high.

Even though some people are so monstrous that I genuinely don't care if they suffer or die, I have to keep in mind that my vengeful streak can easily end up being directed towards somebody who did nothing wrong.