• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this humane?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

One example of a person who deserved to die

He freely chose to do great evil

And for that justice demands that should have been put to death

His continued existence would have been an affront to decent humanity

Sadly he got away with it all

No idea who he is. But I read your link. Very sad indeed. But he had to face his own Darkness at death, and I don't wish that on anyone.

May those families heal from the traumas they endured and may the community support them through it.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
How we define "harm" in this regard may differ here. I'm not a fan of retributive justice. That's a hardline position of mine.

I prefer restorative justice.

I also prefer restorative justice, but not everything can be restored. In such cases, retributive justice is better than no justice at all.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
No idea who he is
He is dead now

He was a radio DJ, childrens television presenter and charity fundraiser

He used his fame and influence to abuse hundreds of children

He abused dead bodies too

He was allowed to roam freely around many hospitals where he abused many patients

The establishment knew but did nothing

He could have been stopped but he was too powerful so people were frightened, intimidated and silenced

He was evil and most certainly deserved to die

I think there is a thing about him on Netflix

Little Dragon

Some people deserve to die
Yes probably they do, and that is true of Hitler and other murdering monsters.
However we should not be in the business of giving people what they deserve, we should be in the business of justice, which looks at more than just what someone did, it has a wider view, it takes other important things into consideration. Human rights, mistrials, rehabilitation, power dynamics between state and individual and other matters of great significance.

Little Dragon

If particularly harmful actions don't have particularly harmful consequences to the perpretator then there is no justice.
Harm for harm? What should be paramount, is public safety, the noose or rifle, is not needed to serve justice. A cell will do just as well, and if it turns out the convicted was innocent all along, he or she can be released from prison, not so easy to release people from the grave.

Little Dragon

He is dead now

He was a radio DJ, childrens television presenter and charity fundraiser

He used his fame and influence to abuse hundreds of children

He abused dead bodies too

He was allowed to roam freely around many hospitals where he abused many patients

The establishment knew but did nothing

He could have been stopped but he was too powerful so people were frightened, intimidated and silenced

He was evil and most certainly deserved to die

He was a very successful predator, thanks to institutions like the BBC and the Home office.

Little Dragon

He was

I hope lessons will be learnt and that such a thing will never be allowed to happen again
We shall see. Institutions like the BBC have gotten away with their enabling of his offending pattern. While that keeps happening, while there is no accountability, I worry.

Little Dragon

In such cases, retributive justice is better than no justice at all
In some exceptional cases, where there are no courts or police or prisons. Then there might be no choice, but to end the life of an individual.
If they are so serious a threat, that there is no alternative.

Erebus

Yep. It's called Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story.

I'll warn anybody tempted to watch it that it's quite disturbing and upsetting. I don't mind admitting that I cried when one woman described what he did to her as a child.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

I'll warn anybody tempted to watch it that it's quite disturbing and upsetting. I don't mind admitting that I cried when one woman described what he did to her as a child.
I am yet to see it but there is a thing on iplayer in which Steve Coogan plays Savile, he does a good job with the sinister creepy vibes

The Louis Theroux thing where he hung out with Savile is interesting too

Little Dragon

My mother used to work at the Royal Bucks Hospital in Aylesbury, during 1974 - 75 where Savile worked as a hospital DJ. He apparently inquired about her, but the other staff told him she was too young for him and that he should know better. Warned him off basically.
This was before I had graced this planet with my existence.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Harm for harm? What should be paramount, is public safety, the noose or rifle, is not needed to serve justice. A cell will do just as well, and if it turns out the convicted was innocent all along, he or she can be released from prison, not so easy to release people from the grave.

I wasn't even talking about the death penalty though...

Koldo

Outstanding Member
In some exceptional cases, where there are no courts or police or prisons. Then there might be no choice, but to end the life of an individual.
If they are so serious a threat, that there is no alternative.

And, once again, I wasn't talking about the death penalty.

We Never Know

No Slack
How many of those people did inhumane things to get there?

Say a person robs and kills another. That's very inhumane IMO.

I'm sorry won't bring back the life they took. Why should they be treated any better than the inhumane person they are?

When a dog kills someone its euthanized.
When a alligator kills someone its hunted down and euthanized.
When a bear kills someone its hunted down and euthanized.
When a cougar kills someone its hunted down and euthanized.
Etc. Etc.

The thing is they don't know its wrong or know any better but killing them is the right thing.

When a human kills someone, we humans know better and know its wrong but do it anyway.
But oh its cruel to give them the death sentence.

We all are just animals. Some know better and some don't.