• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this humane?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Here are two pics of what the cells are like in a certain American "super max" prison that is known as "The Alcatraz Of The Rockies"

It is used to house inmates who are a risk to national security and whose escape would be dangerous

Drug lords, terrorists, spies/traitors, mob bosses. Those kind of people

Inmates are kept in them for practically 24 hours a day but if they are well behaved they are eventually given a TV to watch

Is keeping people in such tiny cells humane?

Or do certain offenders forfeit their right to be treated humanely?

I wouldn't want to be kept in one that's for sure

But then I haven't killed anyone and am not a threat to national security

Maybe it is in the public's interest for such people to be banged up in such conditions?

cell1.png

cell 2.png

vulcanlogician

It probably IS inhumane for most people.

However, if I were ever imprisoned, I'd rather be confined to such a cell alone, rather than put into a cell block with a bunch of violent offenders. The TV would help make it more tolerable.

The windows ought to be bigger... or (if that would represent a security risk) at the very least there should be multiple 4 inch slits.

Also, how often are these folks let out to walk around and exercise? I suppose it might have been in the article, but I didn't read it. That matters too.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Also, how often are these folks let out to walk around and exercise?
For one hour per day during which they may make phone calls, if they have earned that privilege

I'd rather be confined to such a cell alone, rather than put into a cell block with a bunch of violent offenders
Me too, unless the other inmates weren't violent

It probably IS inhumane for most people.
Yes, for most people but not for some

If you look at the article there are some pretty inhumane people locked up in there

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Locking people up like animals is always inhumane. As is locking up animals in cages, but I digress.
Where would you put the drug lords, terrorists, spies/traitors, and mob bosses?

Those guys are highly dangerous

Especially if they manage to escape

vulcanlogician

Quarantine them somewhere where they can enjoy the same things the rest of us enjoy. Give them internet access, phones, a comfortable living space etc.

The point is to protect society and rehabilitate them. Not to inflict harm and suffering.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I'm a fan of rehabilitation. But if they need to be imprisoned, so be it.

Being in prison and the ensuing lack of freedom and autonomy it entails, is punishment itself. No need to make the prison a punishing environment, via crappy conditions, food, and overall treatment.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Give them internet access, phones

So they can carry on being drug lords, terrorists, spies/traitors, and mob bosses?

Surely the whole point of locking them up is to prevent them from being able to contact people and organise things?

I wouldn't give some terrorist mastermind internet access and a phone

I think that would be reckless

But I would allow them to have TV, radio, and books

and rehabilitate them
why try and rehabilitate them if they have multiple life sentences without any opportunity for parole?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
why try and rehabilitate them if they have multiple life sentences without any opportunity for parole?

Why not try? Are some people worth giving up on and abandoning?

People can have their charges adjusted while in prison depending on behavior and steps made towards rehab.

vulcanlogician

So they can carry on being drug lords, terrorists, spies/traitors, and mob bosses?

In certain cases they perhaps should be monitored. Of course we shouldn't allow criminal activity to be performed from quarantine.

Also, my answer is less satisfying when we consider the "worst of the worst." It was more a statement about young criminals who make mistakes. Not hardened cartel leaders who have made millions and murdered dozens.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It was more a statement about young criminals who make mistakes. Not hardened cartel leaders who have made millions and murdered dozens.
I would agree that those are two distinct classes of people who should be treated very differently

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Why not try? Are some people worth giving up on and abandoning?

People can have their charges adjusted while in prison depending on behavior and steps made towards rehab.

Yes. There are people worth giving up and abandoning, to say the least.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I disagree. But that's why our prison system will never change for the better.
If the allied powers had captured Hitler alive in 1945 what do you think should they have done with him?

I'd have had him hung alongside the other top Nazis

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
If the allied powers had captured Hitler alive in 1945 what do you think should they have done with him?

I'd have had him hung alongside the other top Nazis

Prison, therapy, rehab. Same as anyone else. Killing someone doesn't bring back those already lost.