• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this humane?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I would have locked him up in humane conditions.
Perhaps it would have been good to keep him alive but to force him to confront some of the survivors, or the relatives of his many victims?

That would have knocked him down a few pegs, it would have served to humiliate him if nothing else

Let them shout in his face and force him to grovel

All the better to capture it all on film

Every day for the rest of his life make him confront 100 survivors or relatives of his victims, from all over the world. Poland, Russia, France, Coventry...

This would show him up as a miserable, pathetic individual

Restorative justice - Wikipedia

When that horrible baby-killing nurse refused to attend the victim impact statement part of her trial there were calls for defendants to be forced to face their victims, to be manhandled out of their cell and into the court if necessary

I would agree with this

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Why should that be the point?
Why should the goal be to prevent every single instance of loss of life?

Why shouldn't preventing harm be a goal?

Again, outside of self defense, there is no reason to harm or kill someone.

Irregardless of the deaths caused by a person, if they are in custody they are no longer a danger to society, and the threat has been contained.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
When that horrible baby-killing nurse refused to attend the victim impact statement part of her trial there were calls for defendants to be forced to face their victims, to be manhandled out of their cell and into the court if necessary

I would agree with this

My problem is with it influencing the sentence. I don't see why a criminal shouldn't have his "nose rubbed in" the results of his crime. This might be the start of rehabilitation. Though a psychopath might actually enjoy it?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
From a purely pragmatic position:

"Many people believe that the death penalty is more cost-effective than housing and feeding someone in prison for life. In reality, the death penalty's complexity, length, and finality drive costs through the roof, making it much more expensive"

Death is expensive.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It is if you keep the condemned waiting on Death Row for decades

In England they were hung within a week of being convicted

Yeah, and the number of people exonerated off of death row, makes me very wary at just murdering people we deem murderers.

FB_IMG_1698613682565.jpg

"Since 1973, 195 former death-row prisoners have been exonerated of all charges related to the wrongful convictions that had put them on death row."

"more than 8,700 defendants have been sentenced to death; of these, more than 1,550 have been executed. At least 190 people who were sentenced to death since 1972 have since been exonerated, about 2.2% or one in 46."

Seems to me the system is flawed if we are harming the innocent.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Yeah, and the number of people exonerated off of death row, makes me very wary at just murdering people we deem murderers.

View attachment 84287

"Since 1973, 195 former death-row prisoners have been exonerated of all charges related to the wrongful convictions that had put them on death row."
We were talking about Hitler

He was obviously guilty

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
We were talking about Hitler

He was obviously guilty

Extreme case.

As has been pointed out.

Discussing an exteme position doesn't answer your question.

It only allows you to rebut indefinitely, with your supposed righteousness over a supposed evil of evils. Your using Hitler the same way a Christian uses Satan, scapegoat/reason for your ideas and positions.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Extreme case.

As has been pointed out.

Discussing an exteme position doesn't answer your question.

It only allows you to rebut indefinitely, with your supposed righteousness over a supposed evil of evils. Your using Hitler the same way a Christian uses Satan, scapegoat/reason for your ideas and positions.
I am not actually a fan of execution and if it were up to me it would not be used in the vast majority of cases

But some people are so despicable and depraved that they deserve to die

Jimmy Saville would I believe be a prime candidate for the noose

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I am not actually a fan of execution and if it were up to me it would not be used in the vast majority of cases

But some people are so despicable and depraved that they deserve to die

Jimmy Saville would I believe be a prime candidate for the noose

I still disagree. Life in prison is a worse fate then death. And still gives a slim chance for atonement.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Why shouldn't preventing harm be a goal?

Again, outside of self defense, there is no reason to harm or kill someone.

Irregardless of the deaths caused by a person, if they are in custody they are no longer a danger to society, and the threat has been contained.

I didn't say preventing harm shouldn't be a goal. The matter is whether it should be THE goal.
One has to forsake justice to have preventing harm to be THE goal.

If particularly harmful actions don't have particularly harmful consequences to the perpretator then there is no justice.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

If particularly harmful actions don't have particularly harmful consequences to the perpretator then there is no justice.

How we define "harm" in this regard may differ here. I'm not a fan of retributive justice. That's a hardline position of mine.

I prefer restorative justice.