• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there order in the universe? If so, is there an orderer?

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
I'm pretty new to the debate of whether or not the universe is ordered or chaos, I'm sure this topic has already been covered(i couldnt find any threads) so please feel free to post links to threads already covering this topic.

So I have a few questions:

1. Is there order in the universe? Or is it chaos?
2. If the universe is ordered, then does that imply the existence of an orderer?
3. Could you guys give me any good links for learning more about the subject of chaos vs order?

And if you could also explain "why" for your answers I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm pretty new to the debate of whether or not the universe is ordered or chaos, I'm sure this topic has already been covered(i couldnt find any threads) so please feel free to post links to threads already covering this topic.

2. If the universe is ordered, then does that imply the existence of an orderer?
3. Could you guys give me any good links for learning more about the subject of chaos vs order?

Thanks!

I think the universe is ruled by orderly chaos. There are rules that matter and energy most follow but beyond that there does not seem be a "higher" purpose for this matter and energy, IMO. Some people try to use earth and the life on it to demonstrate that there is a supreme being. However, just because something very unlikely exists does not automatically make a theists very specific THEORY about the nature of reality true.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
You guys care to explain "why?"

JustWondering said:
I think the universe is ruled by orderly chaos. There are rules that matter and energy most follow but beyond that there does not seem be a "higher" purpose for this matter and energy, IMO. Some people try to use earth and the life on it to demonstrate that there is a supreme being. However, just because something very unlikely exists does not automatically make a theists very specific THEORY about the nature of reality true.

In other words, it could be pure coincidence that order exists your saying?

CynthiaCypher

The universe is more disordered than it is ordered. So is there a grand disorderer?

You guys care to explain "why?"

In other words, it could be pure coincidence that order exists your saying?

Theists answer for the big questions about the the universe is basically "god did it". However, if there is a god, why does it exist? Where did it come from? Why does it do what it does? The existance of a god does not make the universe a simpler place to understand. Adding a god to the equation just makes it more complicated.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Order depends on purpose. There's usually more than one purpose that can be served or un-served, I think. So, it could be chaotic for one purpose and orderly for another.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I really can't see much of the universe from here, but from the pictures I've seen of our Solar system, and others, it seems to be a controlled chaos. It seems from the tiniest atoms, which have electrons circling around, it seems that the whole thing is circling around and around. People can't help but notice that atoms look an awful lot like a miniature solar system.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Order depends on the ob.server

ugh I'm definitely not looking into getting into the debate of objective vs subjective order lol

JustWondering said:
Theists answer for the big questions about the the universe is basically "god did it". However, if there is a god, why does it exist? Where did it come from? Why does it do what it does? The existance of a god does not make the universe a simpler place to understand. Adding a god to the equation just makes it more complicated.

Good point, although I don't think these questions should pose problems for theists. God is a lot greater than us, so we can't FULLY 100% know His ways, I think most theists will agree with that. And as a theist, I have a lot of faith and trust in science, and a lot of the explanations it gives for the nature of the universe should not be stumbling blocks for theists imo. But rather a theist should use both God and science to explain the entire picture.

ChristineES said:
I really can't see much of the universe from here, but from the pictures I've seen of our Solar system, and others, it seems to be a controlled chaos. It seems from the tiniest atoms, which have electrons circling around, it seems that the whole thing is circling around and around. People can't help but notice that atoms look an awful lot like a miniature solar system.

Agreed. Do you think this implies the existence of an orderer?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Yes, there is order in the universe. Look at how plants have no ability to think yet grow in perfect spirals, they reach for the sun, they grow under protective things to survive; this is all simply the way they naturally work. How about the orbit of planets around the sun, that is just our 8 planets revolving around one star, an immeasurably small portion of the universe.

In a way. Nature is it's own orderer. Existence make that which exists ordered. If you mean a god like being, then no it is not necessary. Perhaps whatever force makes the universe exist is semi-conscious in a way we cannot even begin to discuss, but there is no need for God.

Some ancient and very interesting concepts of the underlying force / order to the universe.

Taoism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yin and yang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wu wei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thoth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

As others have already suggested, it is not an either-or. Much of it hinges on exactly how "order" and "chaos" are being defined as states of being. Because of some of the loaded connotations words like "order" and "chaos" have I'd like to use somewhat different terminology. Unfortunately, adequate synonyms aren't coming to mind at the moment, nor is a particularly eloquent comparison between these two terms.

I suspect this is because I don't see the universe operating in terms of order and chaos. I see the universe as constantly undergoing change and transformation, and that within these transformations (chaos?) is continuity or consistency (order?). I also see probabilities, causes, and effects, the outcomes of which can be variously labeled as "ordered" or "chaotic" depending on the perspective of the observer. Clearly we humans cognitively impose a sense of order onto the universe, but we also clearly recognize a sense of probability/randomness within that order.

Yes, but not necessarily of the sort a classical monotheist will posit. The "orderer" doesn't have to be separate from the "ordered." It can be an intrinsic quality inherent in the structure. For example, the intrinsic qualities of various molecules enables them to create self-caused structures. They are their own "orderers." I would call this "god," but others would simply call it "laws of physics" or "laws of chemistry."

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

1. Ordered chaos.

Crazy stuff happens. Stars explode, an enormous black hole lies at the center of our galaxy, asteroid impacts interrupt the flourishing of life on planets and cause mass extinctions, lions hunt buffalo, volcanoes erupt, particles can at best be described as probability waves rather than clear "things", most of the universe is empty dark cold space, children die of cancer or miscarriages, I'm eating chocolate right now and it tastes good, the observable universe is not observed to be symmetrical and looks like a heterogeneous set of clusters of spirals, etc.

But all of it seems to follow rules. The birth/death cycle of stars, the operations of a black hole, asteroids, and basically everything is describable with mathematics and science, with increasing degrees of accuracy. So it's not a completely illogical system, although there's not an agreed upon discernible purpose, point, relevance, or value to anything in it.

2. No. The watchmaker analogy is flawed in the sense that it answers nothing. If a watch is found, a logical assumption may be that it had a maker. But it must then be logical to assume the maker had a maker, and so on, in an infinite loop. If it's argued that the maker can make itself, or require no maker, then the watch could be argued to have that same description. If the universe is complex and in some way ordered, and it is therefore implied that something more complex and ordered, like a god, therefore must have created it, then the next question of course would be, "then who is the maker of this god, if complex and ordered things must have makers?"

Snowflakes can form fairly complex and subjectively beautiful shapes by means of simple laws. Less complex systems demonstrate complexity through repetition- simple rules to build complex and pretty shapes. Orderliness need not imply that something more ordered than itself indeed ordered it.

And if anything, our universe is less like a watch being found with participants wondering whether there's a watchmaker, but more like finding a Jackson Pollock painting:

convergence-jackson-pollock-1952.jpg

and trying to figure out where it came from and what the heck is going on.

Atoms don't literally look like the Bohr model used in textbooks. That's a simplification to get early points across. Atoms only look like little solar systems when they are purposely described as a little solar system to provide a basis for understanding.

More accurate models of atoms are probability clouds with complex orbitals, rather than little spheres circling other spheres, and have little or nothing in common with solar systems.
What Do Atoms Really "Look Like?"

Last edited:

Vultar

There is basic order in the universe due to the laws of physics. This is what causes everything to spin, have plants grow in perfect spirils due to the spin etc. Forces act the same under similar conditions thereby creating the universe in a similar manner.

There is no entity controlling this.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Atoms don't literally look like the Bohr model used in textbooks. That's a simplification to get early points across. Atoms only look like little solar systems when they are purposely described as a little solar system to provide a basis for understanding.

More accurate models of atoms are probability clouds with complex orbitals, rather than little spheres circling other spheres, and have little or nothing in common with solar systems.
What Do Atoms Really "Look Like?"

The point isn't really what they look like, but more that it is electrons circling around- similar to a solar system. And I know they have nothing in common with a solar system and I know those models are simplified. :rolleyes::)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The point isn't really what they look like, but more that it is electrons circling around- similar to a solar system. And I know they have nothing in common with a solar system and I know those models are simplified. :rolleyes::)
But "circling around" isn't even a particularly accurate description.

I don't see how an atom and a solar system have almost anything conceptually in common once the simplified but inaccurate Bohr model understanding is discarded.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
But "circling around" isn't even a particularly accurate description.

I don't see how an atom and a solar system have almost anything conceptually in common once the simplified but inaccurate Bohr model understanding is discarded.

I took Chemistry a couple of years ago in college. I am not totally ignorant. They may not be the same but is a small similarity. But since this is not a Chemistry lesson, I will just let the subject drop.

The laws of nature seem to be fixed. In that sense, there is a kind of order to it. On the other hand, the matter upon which those laws act produce a great deal of chaos as well. Black holes, an unimaginable amount of space debris floating around and sometimes smashing into planets, extinction events, earthquakes, volcanoes, droughts, floods, solar flares. On the whole, looking at our solar system, it definetly does not give me the impression that it was designed by an orderer. And the order that is there, seems to me to be the result of indifferent natural laws as opposed to an intelligent orderer. If it was an intelligent orderer, it didn't do a very good job. Planet earth is a chaotic place, with all the natural disasters that occur - and all the lifeless planets in our solar system, and space debris floating around. Definetly doesn't look designed to me.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

1. Yes, there is order. It is the laws of physics, mathematics, determination, etc.

2. No. Mathematics does not need an orderer/creator if you're implying.

3. I have no clue where you could... Sorry.