• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any religious argument that actually stands when scrutinized with reason?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Is there any religious argument that actually stands when scrutinized with reason?

Well!
Is there any atheistic/agnostic/skeptic argument that actually stands when scrutinised with wisdom? Please
Regards
Now I know you are not going to understand this, but turning the question around does not help your credibility any.

Parsimony

Well!
Is there any atheistic/agnostic/skeptic argument that actually stands when scrutinised with wisdom? Please
Regards
You realize that "atheists", "agnostics" and "skeptics" are all different, do you not? An atheist is someone who doesn't believe that gods exist, an agnostic is a person who says that they do not have certainty about a position (who can be either a theist or an atheist) and a skeptic is someone who withholds accepting a claim until sufficient evidence is provided for that claim (who can also be either a theist or an atheist).

And why did you replace the word "reason" with "wisdom" when you reworded the OP?

cambridge79

You realize that "atheists", "agnostics" and "skeptics" are all different, do you not? An atheist is someone who doesn't believe that gods exist, an agnostic is a person who says that they do not have certainty about a position (who can be either a theist or an atheist) and a skeptic is someone who withholds accepting a claim until sufficient evidence is provided for that claim (who can also be either a theist or an atheist).

And why did you replace the word "reason" with "wisdom" when you reworded the OP?

in his view there are not such subtile differences, whoever doesn't accept the Quran ( the way he accept it ) is unwise.

he replaced the word because he wants to suggest there's no wisdom in rationalty, wich is like saying that when choosing between reality and what you want to believe the wise thing to do is dismiss reality and stick to what you want to believe.
As noticed by Mestemia he is not probably aware this is not helping him in any way.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It was my comment on the OP. I don't have to do in the same words.
What is wrong with it?
Wisdom is reason ++.
Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Well!
Regards
Well, yes.

As a matter of fact, you have just described just about all of the worthwhile arguments that humanity ever had or will have.

Theunis

define wisdom.
The dictionary definition would exclude any religion as a source of wisdom immediately.
Well now in what way does the following definition of wisdom exclude religions ?
******************** Quote ******************
wis·dom
ˈwizdəm/
noun
noun: wisdom
the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise.
synonyms: sagacity, intelligence, sense, common sense, shrewdness, astuteness, smartness, judiciousness, judgment, prudence, circumspection;More
logic, rationale, rationality, soundness, advisability
"we questioned the wisdom of the decision"
antonyms: folly, stupidity

Theunis

Thus, we might reasonably believe in a cold, uncaring, undetectable God, or we can apply Occum's razor and eliminate the undetectable element (God) and simply not believe in a God since the universe can be detected and is cold and uncaring anyway.
Cold - uncaring.?
In simplistic terms consider the claim that God created this earth and he also asked the earth to bring forth its own (Genesis 1:26). Together they provided all things mankind needs. If he/It was uncaring why would he/It do this for us ? Why would he let the sun warm us and why would there be the warmth of love for others. Is it his/its fault the we, freewill humans, don't always extend our compassion, warmth and love to others. Must we be all pre-programmed zombies?
But those oh so available scapegoats, God and the Devil they are always there for us to project our non-acceptance and culpability for what we do and don't do. We cannot fathom nor discern a God in the works or the world that surround us, so we deny or fabricate one.

Consider this - First the Titans made the Gods, then the Gods made man and then Man made God in his image.

Last edited:

serp777

Well!
Regards

There is one good one--show me the evidence. Generally that's pretty solid.

buddhist

Yes. In Buddhism, we are asked to use empirical investigation to determine whether the Buddha's teachings actually work. We are also asked to use observation to learn how the mental faculties work and to see whether there is an abiding self in all of that.

Buddhism is a religion, by the way. It is considered a non-theistic one by most, although many Buddhists believe in a god. Some Buddhists equate nirvana with God.

This is my first post here, and I expect civil dialogue on all sides. After writing 25,000+ posts on Beliefnet.com before it closed its forums this fall, I am hoping to find a good forum to replace it. Facebook has been a bit of a letdown in that regard.
I completely agree. After personally examining many different religions and their various sects, I came to the conclusion that early Buddhism, with its emphasis on "empirical investigation" and observation, was the only one which matched my standard for rationality.

In regards to Buddhism and theism: As you probably know, the Tathagata neither accepted nor denied the existence of an "Creator God". However, in the instances where he did speak of a creator, he identified the creator as us, as individuals. It is an interesting subject to consider, in context and consideration of nibbana.

I look forward to discussing more with you in these forums.

Last edited:

Theunis

There is one good one--show me the evidence. Generally that's pretty solid.
No one seems to be interested or they get scared and vanish as a tiny dot over the horizon

Thus for about the fourth time - negate or refute this claim as found in the OT. - As you believe so it will be unto you or put another way - as you think so you are.

In modern times many are taught they are useless and they believe it to be so and thus never rise above their indoctrination. !

prometheus11

Cold - uncaring.?
In simplistic terms consider the claim that God created this earth and he also asked the earth to bring forth its own (Genesis 1:26). Together they provided all things mankind needs. If he/It was uncaring why would he/It do this for us ? Why would he let the sun warm us and why would there be the warmth of love for others. Is it his/its fault the we, freewill humans, don't always extend our compassion, warmth and love to others. Must we be all pre-programmed zombies?
But those oh so available scapegoats, God and the Devil they are always there for us to project our non-acceptance and culpability for what we do and don't do. We cannot fathom nor discern a God in the works or the world that surround us, so we deny or fabricate one.

Consider this - First the Titans made the Gods, then the Gods made man and then Man made God in his image.

Yes. Cold and uncaring. The universe does nothing to help or hurt. Consider infectious diseases and massive mudslides when you consider sun and rain.

The universe is evidence for the universe. There is no evidence for God that cannot be claimed as evidence for some other invisible, undetectable being.

prometheus11

Prometheus 11 said "There is no evidence for God."

For those who believe Jesus is the son of God - God must exist for if he didn't how could he father a son ?

Weak.

That's like saying the frog on my porch couldn't be there unless he flew to that spot.