• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a "Universal Moral Conscience"?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is there a Universal Moral Conscience (UMC)? If there is, then we should find that people universally or near universally feel that some things are wrong, and some things are right, and largely agree on what those things are.

Second, if there is a UMC, is its origins and/or nature a mystery to us?

I myself think there is something of a UMC, but that it's not much of mystery how it originated or what its nature is. What people consider right or wrong seems to me to be based on three general factors. Genes, culture, and individual preferences.

For example, there seems to be a cross-cultural, nearly universal disapproval of some kinds of lying. This would indicate a genetic basis for some sort of taboo against lying.

But specifically what kind of lying is disapproved of varies somewhat from culture to culture, and some kinds of lying - such as lying in defense of oneself or others -- is nearly universally approved of.

Moreover, the acceptance of lying can change in a culture over time. American culture today is far and away more tolerant of lying than it was 100 or 150 years ago.

Then again, you have individuals who seem to be habitual liars. So at least three factors are involved in determining one's UMC regarding lying. Genes. Culture. And individual preference.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not as such. There is however an attractor of sorts, a natural trend towards approaching one.

However, such a UMC will unavoidably have as one of its core directives the need to expand its own boundaries and involve ever increasing degrees of sophistication and intellectual ambition.

There is no mystery there. Morality is simply a natural consequence of intellectual ability in a world where our actions and omissions have consequences on the well-being of others.

I'd say there are a limited range of things we have evolved to be naturally averse to, although these don't add up to any form of universal moral code and certainly not a modern humanistic ethics. We aren't a completely blank slate though.

The majority of right and wrong is learned cultural and individual preference derived from experience and individual nature.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Is there a Universal Moral Conscience (UMC)? If there is, then we should find that people universally or near universally feel that some things are wrong, and some things are right, and largely agree on what those things are.

I myself think there is something of a UMC, but that it's not much of mystery how it originated or what its nature is. What people consider right or wrong seems to me to be based on three general factors. Genes, culture, and individual preferences.

For example, there seems to be a cross-cultural, nearly universal disapproval of some kinds of lying. This would indicate a genetic basis for some sort of taboo against lying.

But specifically what kind of lying is disapproved of varies somewhat from culture to culture, and some kinds of lying - such as lying in defense of oneself or others -- is nearly universally approved of.

Moreover, the acceptance of lying can change in a culture over time. American culture today is far and away more tolerant of lying than it was 100 or 150 years ago.

Then again, you have individuals who seem to be habitual liars. So at least three factors are involved in determining one's UMC regarding lying. Genes. Culture. And individual preference.

Hmmm... you're sorta asking if there is God, then explaining the learning process as to why you think there might be.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I don't know if it's change that much. Santa Claus was a lie.
Lies are one of those weird things that seem necessary to keep a culture together. There are many lies we accept everyday.

I suspect it kind of a false morality, there are lies we call lies because we don't like the lie and there are "fictions" which are still lies but we either agree to accept them our consciously accept them without question because we accept the authority behind them.

I suppose what we don't like are the lies intentional made to cause us harm. Those, I don't think anyone has ever been tolerant of.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As a believer in reincarnation, my answer is naturally that there's universal root morality we learn in successive incarnations in human form by experiencing the consequences of our actions.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Do I believe in conscience?

Yes but moral intuition is a mental process of the conscious, human mind rather than something we can really derive from nature or natural selection. I agree with Michael Huemer, Professor of Philosophy at the University of Colorado, that: "(i) there are objective moral truths; (ii) we know these through an immediate, intellectual awareness, or 'intuition'; and (iii) knowing them gives us reasons to act independent of our desires." (2005).

I always fear there is a logical difficulty in any attempt that aims to tie morality to 'nature' or 'genetic' inheritance of traits. It runs into the impenetrable "is/ought" dilemma or "fact/value" distinction.

To my point of view, our values - ethical judgements - cannot be reduced to natural properties such as needs, wants or pleasures. None of these are prescriptive. Human beings are so much more than our needs, wants or pleasures because we are capable of conscientious reflection upon our acts and the harm, or benefit they can bring to others. We aren't just blind automatons driven by and at the mercy of our desires and inherited traits. If we were, then "epigenetics" and "neuroplasticity" would not be such burgeoning fields of scientific inquiry right now.

Simply put, 99% of Bonobo and Chimp DNA is identical to human beings. Now it may be the case - to take one instance - that natural selection favours social hierarchies among primates, whereby one alpha-male competes with others and assumes precedence over them, giving him more access to females (and thus the capacity to procreate); the privilege of being groomed first before other animals and the same with regards to food consumption. Since human beings are primates, someone might say, "well, nature predisposes us to submit to the social dominance of an alpha-male and give him first place in everything, therefore I think we should appoint a dictator for life!"

Starting from this sort of premise, evolutionary psychologists have long struggled to explain why there is a near-universal tendency among human hunter-gatherers to practice egalitarianism. It is highly atypical for primates and yet human beings foraged in such mobile social groups for nearly 200, 000 years until we brought back dominance hierarchies with the birth of modern states headed by their kings.

Once upon a time, proponents of absolute monarchy pointed to the nebulously defined category "nature", to justify kingship as a 'natural' and thus morally upright institution. The argument is, of course, fundamentally inane since we could equally point to the Queen Bee as justification for matriarchy. Or, we might point to the Black Widow Spider as justification for the idea that if a woman is displeased with a male lover, she has the right to kill and eat him.

The natural order is intrinsically amoral and purposeless. When we look at inherited traits or behaviors in nature, whether of animals or of ancient humans (i.e. cannibalism), we are describing what is in the objective, scientific sense of the term. What we do not do, is derive any prescriptive value judgement therefrom. This is because what we should do morally speaking, cannot in my opinion, in any ultimate sense be derived from nature.

Now, that doesn't mean that I don't believe in some universal, moral norms. I certainly do. Practically every culture, whether primitive or modern anywhere in the world (a few egregious instances aside, like Pharaonic Egypt), proscribes incest with a strong cultural taboo. You might attribute this to natural selection i.e. inherited traits predisposing us, instinctively, to avoid the potential for our kids to have a higher percentage of recessive alleles and birth defects due to inbreeding but again that would only describe the is and not the ought of whether we should or should not have sex with our sister. (But we may say: it is cruel to the child to inflict potentially recessive alleles upon it because of an act of procreation by the parents, perhaps). There's applicability here to the morality of incest, certainly, but it's more complicated.

Most sociologists and anthropologists explain incest avoidance by means of one or another type of functionalist argument, such as the so-called family disruption theory. Basically, it holds that sexual competition among family members would foment so much rivalry, jealousy and tension that the nuclear family could not function as an effective unit, which since our hunter-gatherer past has been essential for cooperative survival. The unity of each family was necessary to protect it against wild animals and to carry out large hunts.

Because the family must function effectively for society to survive and indeed to thrive, society has to curtail competition within the family. The familial incest taboo is thus imposed to keep the family intact. Incest taboos therefore have high cultural fitness because of their advantages in preventing competition and disruptive relations between family members.

Invariably, more often than not, moral norms arise from human reflection in the context of social groups. We discover what harms other individuals and the group and what benefits individuals and our group. In other words, a huge element of social construction is involved. But this need not mean that we just invent the truth for ourselves. I definitely do not believe that to be the case. I'm a moral realist. As with the incest taboo, we often discover that human beings employing a mixture of reason, experience and empathy, have reached similar conclusions in different, causally disconnected cultures about what should and should not be acceptable.

This is bound up with human consciousness and the mystery involved in the self-perception of qualia. Morality and value judgements are the prerogative of the human mind, because morality and meaning come into the universe through the human mind in its interaction with the world. The natural order has no purpose and no morality to offer us. That comes from our consciousness. We don't understand the experience of consciousness yet, nor it's neural correlates nor if it is even an epiphenomenon of the brain at all or something more fundamental. So there are no easy answers here.

I just seriously doubt that we could ever infer the should from nature. I think we need to start with the "ought" and just run with it, rather than try and derive prescriptive values from descriptive facts.

Last edited:

Bob the Unbeliever

Not as such. There is however an attractor of sorts, a natural trend towards approaching one.

However, such a UMC will unavoidably have as one of its core directives the need to expand its own boundaries and involve ever increasing degrees of sophistication and intellectual ambition.

There is no mystery there. Morality is simply a natural consequence of intellectual ability in a world where our actions and omissions have consequences on the well-being of others.

Yes--- except to recognize "well-being of others" also requires abstract empathy toward others.

I quite imagine there could be intelligence, but without empathy, thus such a being would be a-moral (or without morals).

Bob the Unbeliever

Do I believe in conscience?

Yes but moral intuition is a mental process of the conscious, human mind rather than something we can really derive from nature or natural selection. I agree with Michael Huemer, Professor of Philosophy at the University of Colorado, that: "(i) there are objective moral truths; (ii) we know these through an immediate, intellectual awareness, or 'intuition'; and (iii) knowing them gives us reasons to act independent of our desires." (2005).

I always fear there is a logical difficulty in any attempt that aims to tie morality to 'nature' or 'genetic' inheritance of traits. It runs into the impenetrable "is/ought" dilemma or "fact/value" distinction.

To my point of view, our values - ethical judgements - cannot be reduced to natural properties such as needs, wants or pleasures. None of these are prescriptive. Human beings are so much more than our needs, wants or pleasures because we are capable of conscientious reflection upon our acts and the harm, or benefit they can bring to others. We aren't just blind automatons driven by and at the mercy of our desires and inherited traits. If we were, then "epigenetics" and "neuroplasticity" would not be such burgeoning fields of scientific inquiry right now.

Simply put, it may be the case - to take one instance - that natural selection favours social hierarchies among primates, whereby one alpha-male competes with others and assumes precedence over them, giving him more access to females (and thus the capacity to procreate); the privilege of being groomed first before other animals and the same with regards to food consumption. Since human beings are primates, someone might say, "well, nature predisposes us to submit to the social dominance of an alpha-male and give him first place in everything, therefore I think we should appoint a dictator for life!"

Starting from this sort of premise, evolutionary psychologists have long struggled to explain why there is a near-universal tendency among human hunter-gatherers to practice egalitarianism. It is highly atypical for primates and yet human beings foraged in such mobile social groups for nearly 200, 000 years until we brought back dominance hierarchies with the birth of modern states headed by their kings.

Once upon a time, proponents of absolute monarchy pointed to the nebulously defined category "nature", to justify kingship as a 'natural' and thus morally upright institution. The argument is, of course, fundamentally inane since we could equally point to the Queen Bee as justification for matriarchy. Or, we might point to the Black Widow Spider as justification for the idea that if a woman is displeased with a male lover, she has the right to kill and eat him.

The natural order is intrinsically amoral and purposeless. When we look at inherited traits or behaviors in nature, whether of animals or of ancient humans (i.e. cannibalism), we are describing what is in the objective, scientific sense of the term. What we do not do, is derive any prescriptive value judgement therefrom. This is because what we should do morally speaking, cannot in my opinion, in any ultimate sense be derived from nature.

Now, that doesn't mean that I don't believe in some universal, moral norms. I certainly do. Practically every culture, whether primitive or modern anywhere in the world (a few egregious instances aside, like Pharaonic Egypt), proscribes incest with a strong cultural taboo. You might attribute this to natural selection i.e. inherited traits predisposing us, instinctively, to avoid the potential for our kids to have a higher percentage of recessive alleles and birth defects due to inbreeding but again that would only describe the is and not the ought of whether we should or should not have sex with our sister. (But we may say: it is cruel to the child to inflict potentially recessive alleles upon it because of an act of procreation by the parents, perhaps). There's applicability here to the morality of incest, certainly, but it's more complicated.

Most sociologists and anthropologists explain incest avoidance by means of one or another type of functionalist argument, such as the so-called family disruption theory. Basically, it holds that sexual competition among family members would foment so much rivalry, jealousy and tension that the nuclear family could not function as an effective unit, which since our hunter-gatherer past has been essential for cooperative survival. The unity of each family was necessary to protect it against wild animals and to carry out large hunts.

Because the family must function effectively for society to survive and indeed to thrive, society has to curtail competition within the family. The familial incest taboo is thus imposed to keep the family intact. Incest taboos therefore have high cultural fitness because of their advantages in preventing competition and disruptive relations between family members.

Invariably, more often than not, moral norms arise from human reflection in the context of social groups. We discover what harms other individuals and the group and what benefits individuals and our group. In other words, a huge element of social construction is involved. But this need not mean that we just invent the truth for ourselves. I definitely do not believe that to be the case. I'm a moral realist. As with the incest taboo, we often discover that human beings employing a mixture of reason, experience and empathy, have reached similar conclusions in different, causally disconnected cultures about what should and should not be acceptable.

This is bound up with human consciousness and the mystery involved in the self-perception of qualia. Morality and value judgements are the prerogative of the human mind, because morality and meaning come into the universe through the human mind in its interaction with the world. The natural order has no purpose and no morality to offer us. That comes from our consciousness. We don't understand the experience of consciousness yet, nor it's neural correlates nor if it is even an epiphenomenon of the brain at all or something more fundamental. So there are no easy answers here.

I just seriously doubt that we could ever infer the should from nature. I think we need to start with the "ought" and just run with it, rather than try and derive prescriptive values from descriptive facts.

Interesting. I only have one nit to pick: Your claim that egalitarianism is rare cannot be sustained with observation of mammals in general.

It may not be quite as rare as your statements would imply, indeed we have observed cross-species caring in both mammals and birds.

I do think that pretty much all human behaviors can be traced back to inherited behaviors from our mammalian ancestors.

Of course-- once humans achieved self-awareness, it tended to change the process up some-- and once humans invented/discovered Racial Memory, changes happened even quicker (language, and later on, writing, became Racial Memory).

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. I only have one nit to pick: Your claim that egalitarianism is rare cannot be sustained with observation of mammals in general.

It may not be quite as rare as your statements would imply, indeed we have observed cross-species caring in both mammals and birds.

I do think that pretty much all human behaviors can be traced back to inherited behaviors from our mammalian ancestors.

Of course-- once humans achieved self-awareness, it tended to change the process up some-- and once humans invented/discovered Racial Memory, changes happened even quicker (language, and later on, writing, became Racial Memory).

Really great points, I should note that I was explicitly referring to primates i.e. our closest mammalian relatives with whom we share the most DNA.

We can find nearly anything in nature in terms of cooperation, dominance etc. because natural selection results in myriad adaptions in all kinds of circumstances. But it's fundamentally 'amoral' and 'purposeless' - that is, descriptive rather than prescriptive. Some animals eat their own young, for example. That doesn't make them "moral" or "immoral" because these are value judgements of the human mind.

See:

Hunter-gatherer - Wikipedia

Nearly all African hunter-gatherers are egalitarian, with women roughly as influential and powerful as men.[12]

The egalitarianism typical of human hunters and gatherers is never total, but is striking when viewed in an evolutionary context. One of humanity's two closest primate relatives, chimpanzees, are anything but egalitarian, forming themselves into hierarchies that are often dominated by an alpha male. So great is the contrast with human hunter-gatherers that it is widely argued by palaeoanthropologists that resistance to being dominated was a key factor driving the evolutionary emergence of human consciousness, language, kinship and social organization.[14][15][16]

Mutual exchange and sharing of resources (i.e., meat gained from hunting) are important in the economic systems of hunter-gatherer societies.[20] Therefore, these societies can be described as based on a "gift economy."

There seems to be evidence to back up the idea - endorsed by a broad number of sociologists - that small, mobile hunter-gatherer tribes developed egalitarian behavior (unlike that exhibited by other primates or indeed chickens and lobsters) circa. 100,000 years ago.

As one cultural anthropologist and expert in primatology, Christopher Boehm, explained:

My argument also followed [Richard] Lee's insights, but in an evolutionary direction. The premise was that humans are innately disposed to form social dominance hierarchies similar to those of the African great apes, but that prehistoric hunter-gatherers, acting as moral communities, were largely able to neutralize such tendencies--just as extant hunter-gatherers do.

The ethnographic basis for that hypothesis was that present-day foragers apply techniques of social control in suppressing both dominant leadership and undue competitiveness. . . In 1993 I published the principal results of my continuing survey of forager and tribal egalitarians. With respect to both the hunter-gathers and the tribesmen in my sample, the hypothesis was straightforward: such people are guided by a love of personal freedom.

For that reason they manage to make egalitarianism happen, and do so in spite of human competitiveness--and in spite of innate human tendencies to dominance and submission that easily lead to the formation of social dominance hierarchies. People can arrest this process by reacting collectively, often preemptively, to curb individuals who show signs of wanting to dominate their fellows. Their reactions involve fear (of domination), angry defiance, and a collective commitment to dominate, which is based on a fear of being individually dominated
." (p. 64-5)

So we might have the same 'tendency' that primates do towards dominance-submissive behavior but early humans were able to create mechanisms to avoid this because they found it socially destructive/harmful.

Either way, with the advent of the Neolithic Revolution, farming and larger, sedentary societies led to the collapse of this egalitarian social model and so for the last 13, 000 years, we have seen the rise of hierarchies which seek to keep people in line through rules and power rankings.

But we were doing something right for the first 100,000 years.

Last edited:

joe1776

When you focus on specific acts like lying, you are going to get confused. Lying is sometimes immoral and sometimes not. Telling the truth is sometimes moral and sometimes immoral.

The questions to ask are:

Was an innocent person harmed?
Was the harm done intentionally?

If the answer to both questions is "yes" then the act is immoral in all cultures because the moral instincts we refer to as conscience signal 'wrongness' when innocent people are intentionally harmed.

The ways we might insult people vary widely from culture to culture. However insults cause harm, so when we intentionally insult someone innocent, it is wrong in all cultures regardless of how it is done.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Given all the necessary facts about reality, so as not to exclude some people from the scope of morality, a UMC comes out to be based on the sole fact that on the whole what is trustworthy, and deserving is absolutely of the most benefit to survival and society. The most trustworthy people are compassionate and of virtue, and recognise the basic equalities of all people who are not criminal. Thats not to say there are not higher equalities to attain to.

Deserve is based on good intentions and earned results factors. Good intentions is the bottom deserve.

Ultimately what is of virtue is what is morally right. To violate trustworthiness and deserve is obviously morally wrong.
The UMC is just that simple though others complexicate or dilute what morality is.

The questions to ask are:

Was an innocent person harmed?

What constitutes 'innocent' is culturally conditioned though. It is not a statement of objective freedom from 'guilt'.

It is very easy for us to justify that someone 'had it coming' for one reason or another, or that we were justified in our actions.

joe1776

What constitutes 'innocent' is culturally conditioned though. It is not a statement of objective freedom from 'guilt'.

It is very easy for us to justify that someone 'had it coming' for one reason or another, or that we were justified in our actions.
The problem of bias exists in all judgments. That's why the standard in all cultures is the judgment of a jury of unbiased minds (unbiased on the case).

That jury doesn't have to be official.If most unbiased people would agree that the victim was innocent, then that's the final word.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
When I see the word *universal*, I default to it not being limited to humans. I guess I watched too much Star Trek when younger.

So, is there a default ethic that would apply everywhere to every intelligent species? No, I don't believe there is. For example, an intelligent species of spider might well find it moral to eat ones mate after sex. I doubt there is any human society that considers that a norm.

So, giving up the idea of a Universal Moral Code, can we expect that there is a Universal *Human* Moral Code?

To me, this seems much more likely. Even other primates have been shown to have a basic sense of fairness. While some, like Chimps, are hierarchical, some others, like Bonobos, are not as much. Humans don't seem to be either a Tournament species, nor strictly, an egalitarian one, but rather some sort of mixture of the two.

Nonetheless, it seems reasonable that *some* aspects of morality are determined by our biology: our sense of fairness, our social inclinations, and thereby a certain level of tribalism; killing someone else from the tribe is almost always a 'bad thing'.

One of the moral advances of humans recently is the large expansion of what we consider to be 'our tribe'. Where before, it was a few tends of people in one locale, now it is expanding to include everyone worldwide (well, for some, at least). We are learning to generalize our moral instincts from those closely related to us to a larger society. We realize that not everyone believes the same way, to wants the same things. And that is a *good* thing.

So, yes, I think there is a very limited 'moral code' that is part of what it means to be human: it is in our biology. But, we have learned to expand that native morality to include most of our species, which is quite unusual. It means we can still advance and learn.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't know if it's change that much. Santa Claus was a lie.

About 140 years ago, a group of men were bringing two cattle rustlers back to town in order to try and hang them. The men couldn't reach the town in one day and made camp for the night. They tied the rustlers up to trees so they would not need to guard them through the night. Then it got cold.

Because of the cold, the men took pity on the rustlers and offered them a deal. If they would swear an oath that they would not try to escape during the night when everyone would be asleep, the men would untie them and let them sleep more warmly. The rustlers promised not to escape. The men kept their word.

The next morning the rustlers were still there, true to their words.

What makes the story interesting is that the person who reported it -- a member of the posse that brought the rustlers in -- was none other than Teddy Roosevelt, and he made clear in telling the story that the rustlers knew they were going to their death. Their trial would be a short one and the outcome all but certain.

You can find lots of stories and documents from 100+ years ago that strongly support the notion lying was much less tolerated than it is today. Yes, people lied, but they usually went through verbal gymnastics just to be able to say that "technically" they had told the truth. To be caught in a genuinely bold face lie -- such as people routinely tell these days -- ruined your reputation for life, it made you an outcast in your community.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is there a Universal Moral Conscience (UMC)?
H sap sap has evolved to live in groups, and like nearly all primates, to succeed or fail in the group depending on the number and quality of the one-to-one relationships formed with other members of the group.

No surprise, considering genus Homo has been around for a couple of million years, that we've evolved certain moral tendencies to fit that situation, which are found in all human societies, as confirmed not only by surveys, but also by experiment and observation of small and very small children.

First, we have the standard animal instinct to protect our young, and the standard mammalian instinct to nurture them.

Then we find in all human societies these tendencies:
Dislike of the one who harms.
Fairness and reciprocity.
Respect for authority.
Loyalty to the group.
A sense of self-worth or virtue through self-denial.​

The rest of morality is more dependent on cultural norms. At a wedding, is there a dowry? A bride-price? Neither? And you'll be judged by your manners, but the manners will vary. How do you hold a knife and fork? Is it okay to spit, to fart, and if so when? What is the status of women? Do different classes live by different rules? May you own other humans (slavery)? And so on.

In all of this, we all ─ well, nearly all ─ have mirror neurons which allow us to stand in the shoes of others.

And we have a conscience, which takes statements of proper behavior between members of one's group or society, and imbues those statements with the sense that they're not personal opinion, they're rules of universal application; so that we mightn't say, 'If I'd found that bag, I'd hand it in to the police' but rather 'You can't keep that bag! It belongs to someone!'

But of course, though all but everyone will have the evolved moral tendencies above, overall no two people have exactly the same unconscious list of moral statements for conscience purposes.

Last edited:
The problem of bias exists in all judgments. That's why the standard in all cultures is the judgment of a jury of unbiased minds (unbiased on the case).

That jury doesn't have to be official.If most unbiased people would agree that the victim was innocent, then that's the final word.

But the standard of 'innocent' as established by an impartial legal process has little to do with individual conscience and the subjective judgements that this relies on.

If you are saying your conscience/moral instinct 'punishes' you for harming innocents, you have to be the one who judges them to be innocent, and it is very clear from the human experience that we are very good at justifying actions that may well be considered immoral from a more objective perspective.

It is also clear that what societies deem immoral changes vastly over time and space, for example honour killings frequently go unpunished in certain societies as the perpetrator was judged to have justification (i.e. they were not harming an innocent).

You can find lots of stories and documents from 100+ years ago that strongly support the notion lying was much less tolerated than it is today...To be caught in a genuinely bold face lie -- such as people routinely tell these days -- ruined your reputation for life, it made you an outcast in your community.

In less advanced societies, or those in inhospitable environments, people relied on the help of others. This necessitated them trusting each other. For example the only supply of water in miles may be on your land, and you have to trust that people will not try to steal from you (or vice versa) while using this facility. Alternatively, you might need to trade crops/livestock that appear at different times of the year, and need to know that debts will be honoured.

In such circumstances, a loss of trust could pretty much be a death sentence.

You also often had laws/customs protecting travellers/guests. For example, in Scotland there was a law of 'Slaughter under trust', which was considered worse than simple murder. "Under the Slaughter Under Trust act if a Clan Chief was convicted of massacre of an opponent, under a feigned agreement to settle a dispute, it was punishable not just as treason by death, but the forfeiture of all land and rights of his heirs."

On a related note, I remember seeing a programme talking about a British guy who was travelling in Afghanistan and was arrested. The Afghan he was with went to prison along with him, even though he could have avoided it. This was because he had a sense of responsibility for his 'guest', and honour necessitated him fulfilling his duties as 'host' to ensure no harm came to him.