• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the United States just not mature enough to deal with radical fringe madness?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There are so many literally delusional cultists bringing the world's once-most-powerful nation into disrepute around the civilized world. When I was growing up (in the 1960s, 70s and 80s) the nation could always manage to cope -- to deal with the radical fringe, to cope with the loonies, to hold elections that were solidly accepted.

This appears not to be the case any more. Seriously! You can't get your insurrections under control. Your criminals, at the highest level, regularly defeat your law enforcement. Trump wins everything he touches, and will never be punished -- and the "law and order nation," the "country of laws," can't do anything at all to stop it.

How did the nation so impoverish its own sense of itself, and its status as the rational leader of the world? Because it is lost. Your own Department of Justice can't hold an obvious criminal to account, and can't seem to figure our how to do it.

What happened? Where did the America I knew go?

And can it ever come back? (For myself, I now seriously doubt it.)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
There are so many literally delusional cultists bringing the world's once-most-powerful nation into disrepute around the civilized world. When I was growing up (in the 1960s, 70s and 80s) the nation could always manage to cope -- to deal with the radical fringe, to cope with the loonies, to hold elections that were solidly accepted.

This appears not to be the case any more. Seriously! You can't get your insurrections under control. Your criminals, at the highest level, regularly defeat your law enforcement. Trump wins everything he touches, and will never be punished -- and the "law and order nation," the "country of laws," can't do anything at all to stop it.

How did the nation so impoverish its own sense of itself, and its status as the rational leader of the world? Because it is lost. Your own Department of Justice can't hold an obvious criminal to account, and can't seem to figure our how to do it.

I think the US left what it used to be when they threw God out of the marketplace, education and media mountains of influence.

I think it will return with another awakening.

Certainly MSNBC needs it too. I think CNN is going back to what it use to be.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think the US left what it used to be when they threw God out of the marketplace, education and media mountains of influence.
Yes, Christians forcing non-Christians to observe
their
religion was the country's secret to success.
Back to the good old days of Jim Crow, the House
Unamerican Activities Committee, & unlimited
police powers over us, & Christian clergy raping
children.
The country has its problems, but forcing everyone
into a dubious Christian culture is no solution.
Instead, how about adopting civility, thoughtfulness,
& ethical behavior?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The US is still the world's most powerful nation, but as far as I can see, what is unfolding right now is merely the culmination of decades of corrupt, fundamentally toxic politics within the US.

Some in the US may just now be starting to view their country as a failing or abusive power, but for many of us looking from the outside through the lens of the historically draconian, corrupt, and destructive foreign policy of the US that has existed at least as far back as it invaded Vietnam, it is no surprise to see more facets of political corruption now take hold of the country.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The US is still the world's most powerful nation, but as far as I can see, what is unfolding right now is merely the culmination of decades of corrupt, fundamentally toxic politics within the US.

Some in the US may just now be starting to view their country as a failing or abusive power, but for many of us looking from the outside through the lens of the historically draconian, corrupt, and destructive foreign policy of the US that has existed at least as far back as it invaded Vietnam, it is no surprise to see more facets of political corruption now take hold of the country.
It goes farther back than that,
eg, conquering Hawaii.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Yes, Christians forcing non-Christians to observe
their
religion was the country's secret to success.
Back to the good old days of Jim Crow, the House
Unamerican Activities Committee, & unlimited
police powers over us, & Christian clergy raping
children.
The country has its problems, but forcing everyone
into a dubious Christian culture is no solution.
Instead, how about adopting civility, thoughtfulness,
& ethical behavior?

Interesting thought, twisted IMO, but an interesting thought.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member

im grateful to live here. i am blessed.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
And committing genocide against Native Americans.

The list goes on. It's a country largely founded on the blood of Natives and the toil of slaves.
this country is full of just little ol people just like anywhere else. not one of them had a hand in the past. time to look forward.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
this country is full of just little ol people just like anywhere else. not one of them had a hand in the past. time to look forward.

It wasn't even two decades ago that the US invaded Iraq. Some of those participating in American politics certainly had a hand in that, including Liz Cheney and even Biden himself (who voted for use of force in Iraq).

F1fan

Veteran Member
When did this happen? Who did it? Be very specific, and use facts.

Or are you saying untrue things about liberals?

I think it will return with another awakening.
It sounds like you are suggesting a theocracy, which is unAmerican. Describe this "awakening" (which of course means you people would be woke) so we understand what you mean.

Certainly MSNBC needs it too. I think CNN is going back to what it use to be.
Needs what?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Good for them. Unfortunately, theocratic thinking seems to still be lingering now, what with some religious fundamentalists wanting to ban specific books, abortion, and a variety of other things their religious beliefs disagree with.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
It wasn't even two decades ago that the US invaded Iraq. Some of those participating in American politics certainly had a hand in that, including Liz Cheney and even Biden himself (who voted for use of force in Iraq).
so if tragedy were to befall the hardworking people just trying to live a decent life and raise a family in the us and they suffered what would you say? serves ya right?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Many terrible things were done in USA's history.
Still, many of us have it pretty good here.
All we can do is try to steer the country in
in the best direction. Learn from history,
but don't wallow in shame for what some
other people did here.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
so if tragedy were to befall the hardworking people just trying to live a decent life and raise a family in the us and they suffered what would you say? serves ya right?

I would be as sad for them as I would be for anyone else experiencing such a thing. I'm not sure where you drew the connection between "hardworking people just trying to live a decent life and raise a family in the US" and the examples I gave of people who actually had an influence on invading and destroying another country.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
Many terrible things were done in USA's history.
Still, many of us have it pretty good here.
All we can do is try to steer the country in
in the best direction. Learn from history,
but don't wallow in shame for what some
other people did here.
right and on top of that if you believe all of existence started not that long ago like I do well then that makes a ton of history fiction. Memories are real for some unfortunately and I dont make light of that.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
I would be as sad for them as I would be for anyone else experiencing such a thing. I'm not sure where you drew the connection between "hardworking people just trying to live a decent life and raise a family in the US" and the examples I gave of people who actually had an influence on invading and destroying another country.
why us invade iraq?