• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Truth Relative? Why or Why Not?

Is the truth relative?

• Yes

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters

idav

Being
Premium Member
Describe consciousness

The parts that are true and objective or the parts that are subjective and a matter of opinion? Objectivity allows us to know what is really there no matter how we perceive it. Example: If I say that the red light I see is between 400–484 THz frequency, is that wrong, cause science tells us as much.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As it informs everything we learn from our first word, everyone cannot fail to know what it means.
I tend to agree, but see "truth" as an evolving aspect of our interaction with physical reality. I think the way most folks use the word 'truth' it means something to which most other human animals will agree with. Objective or external truths are a bit of a no-brainer; while subjective "truths" are considerably fuzzier. Then again, to be fair, I don't focus much on "truth".

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I tend to agree, but see "truth" as an evolving aspect of our interaction with physical reality. I think the way most folks use the word 'truth' it means something to which most other human animals will agree with. Objective or external truths are a bit of a no-brainer; while subjective "truths" are considerably fuzzier. Then again, to be fair, I don't focus much on "truth".
I see it as not capable of evolving at all, as something quintessentially axiomatic.

I think it is the first dharmic transmission.

It informs the truth of what you just said.

Ozzie

:confused:

Are you saying truth isn't a real word that can actually describe reality. Well that may be true but it is the closest word to truth that we have. :)

She might be saying truth is what you make of it.

Then again, reality is relative.

Ozzie

Is truth relative? "Relative" seems to be the wrong word here. Perhaps a more insightful question would be, "is truth conditional"?
Sunstone, if you mean "conditional" in the sense of conditioned, then truth is absolute/defined IMO. If you mean "conditional" in the a dictionary sense, eg,

"imposing, containing, subject to, or depending on a condition or conditions; not absolute; made or allowed on certain terms: conditional acceptance,"

then you could argue the other way. Or are you arguing that truth is a relative, but conditional, in this sense:

"
something dependent upon external conditions for its specific nature, size, etc. ( opposed to absolute )?"

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, because I say so.

;)
The great thing about any assertion that truth is relative is that it is necessarily as untrue as it is true. That is, if truth is relative, the assertion that truth is not relative is just as "true" as the assertion that it is. Which makes any claim that truth is relative self-defeating and pointless, but this does not hold for alternatives.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How do you figure?
If truth is relative, then either it is relative to some absolute (the way that hot and cold are relative to an absolute 0 on the kelvin scale, or the ways in which physical measurements of any and all systems are relative to an absolute given by Planck's scale), or their is no absolute. In which case any truth has no validity (no "truthness") which can be compared to any other based on any scale other than one which is arbitrary. Truth reduces to the Sorites paradox: a "heap" is at some point declared arbitrarily to be no longer a heap. Hot is 101 degree Fahrenheit if one's temperature is taken, but a cool day in summer in places all over the world, and downright freezing compared to the heat of the sun.

Even in fuzzy logics in which degrees of truth can be intervals over the reals (and therefore any truth is always infinitely more or less true than any other, and this infinity possesses a cardinality greater than the set of natural numbers), truth is relative to an absolute (the real number line). Remove the absolute and all truths are false and vice versa.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
If truth is relative, then either it is relative to some absolute (the way that hot and cold are relative to an absolute 0 on the kelvin scale, or the ways in which physical measurements of any and all systems are relative to an absolute given by Planck's scale), or their is no absolute. In which case any truth has no validity (no "truthness") which can be compared to any other based on any scale other than one which is arbitrary. Truth reduces to the Sorites paradox: a "heap" is at some point declared arbitrarily to be no longer a heap. Hot is 101 degree Fahrenheit if one's temperature is taken, but a cool day in summer in places all over the world, and downright freezing compared to the heat of the sun.

Even in fuzzy logics in which degrees of truth can be intervals over the reals (and therefore any truth is always infinitely more or less true than any other, and this infinity possesses a cardinality greater than the set of natural numbers), truth is relative to an absolute (the real number line). Remove the absolute and all truths are false and vice versa.
Do you not also need an absolute to produce "false?"

Wouldn't removal of the absolute result in "nonverifiable" instead of "false?" (Use your agnosticism, young padawan) ;)

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you not also need an absolute to produce "false?"

Either the answer is yes, in that we mean one cannot say anything is true or false such that this has any meaning at all, or the answer is no, in that one can say it but without any meaning at all.

The end result is the same. The assertion that truth is relative is necessarily false if it is true, and if true can be both false and true and therefore dismissed. There is no relative definition of truth such that any assertion truth is relative can be defended, because any assertions in such a system are relatively true, and simply changing what they are relative to makes them false. Whether you wish to see this as making "false" impossible to produce or making truth and false equal and meaningless is up to you. Again, the end is the same: one cannot defend relativism without admitting that the defense cannot be "true" or "false" and can be dismissed by anyone as can any statement made under the assumption of relativism.

Wouldn't removal of the absolute result in "nonverifiable" instead of "false?"

No. For example, I can develop a calculus for a "relative" predicate logic, or many-valued logic, or pretty much add to any logical system "relativism" where true and false remain. They just lack any use, as such a system would require the attribution of any proposition, statement, etc., to be capable of being false or true arbitrarily. It would be pointless, but it's easily done. A more complicated system could be developed which involved starting assumptions (of the type used in Bayesian inference/analysis), such that depending on a particular starting point a statement is more true or more false, but there is no absolute starting point such that any statement can ever be necessarily true or false within that system.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

I see. I understand "relative" as being the unique case, and therefore relative truth as assessed on a case-by-case basis (i.e. there never is no absolute). I thought that's what you might have meant. But thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Either the answer is yes, in that we mean one cannot say anything is true or false such that this has any meaning at all, or the answer is no, in that one can say it but without any meaning at all.

The end result is the same. The assertion that truth is relative is necessarily false if it is true,
This is a self-referential argument. You know these lead to paradoxes. Truth is the idealization (or idolization) of the adjective true.
and if true can be both false and true and therefore dismissed. There is no relative definition of truth such that any assertion truth is relative can be defended, because any assertions in such a system are relatively true, and simply changing what they are relative to makes them false.
LOL, such things happen when you transform an adjective into a noun.
Whether you wish to see this as making "false" impossible to produce or making truth and false equal and meaningless is up to you.
Ahh, but true and false are not meaningless--they are adjectives. They become meaningless if you try to make them into nouns. ;)

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is a self-referential argument. You know these lead to paradoxes. Truth is the idealization (or idolization) of the adjective true.
1) Grammatical categories are not so simply demarcated. If we get hung up on adjectives then relative truth obtains an entirely new level of being relative for active/stative or split ergative langugages.
2) The paradox is the point. If one assumes a framework in which truth is relative, then it is meaningless. There is nothing that can be asserted in such a framework which cannot be false and be true and have any rules for determining the conditions under which something is necessarily true or necessarily false or necessarily anything.

1) If truth is relative, then the statement you made is true or false depending on...?
2) There's a reason that truth and true are etymologically, phonetically, and orthographically related. It's because one refers to the attribution of the other to a specific instantiation. Simply put: "Truth" only matters if we can use it as an adjective. If "truth" itself is relative, than having the property of being true (a true statement is a truth, and nothing that is false can be the truth, nor can truth consist of things which are not true, etc.) is again meaningless. That's why there is no corresponding "false" to "truth" the way there is "false" and "true". As a noun, truth is a category or classification to which things belong. If truth is relative, whatever goes into that category is arbitrary. So it couldn't matter less if it is an "adjective" or a "noun". That's just taking old school grammar and improperly applying it to formal language (in which such ambiguities do not exist).

Ahh, but true and false are not meaningless--they are adjectives. They become meaningless if you try to make them into nouns. ;)

"That which is true cannot be false". Adjectives modify, correct? What is "true" modifying? Is "false" a noun or an adjective here, and why?
"Truth cannot be false".
"That which is the truth cannot be false".

if you want to play games with grammar then you are going to have issues with logic which deliberately does not deal with these (why on earth would we invent cumbersome formal languages which make simple statements difficult to express if all we needed to do was rely on grammatical categories? Does "truth" fall apart when there is no corresponding noun/adjective distinction in Navajo or Greek?)

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think this is a sensitive subject, hard to pin down.

The only thing I think I could confidently add is that I think fact =/= truth. I think we often, without really paying attention to it, take fact and truth to be synonymous.

crossfire

Premium Member
1) Grammatical categories are not so simply demarcated. If we get hung up on adjectives then relative truth obtains an entirely new level of being relative for active/stative or split ergative langugages.
Descriptors are still descriptors, no? They describe some thing.
2) The paradox is the point. If one assumes a framework in which truth is relative, then it is meaningless. There is nothing that can be asserted in such a framework which cannot be false and be true and have any rules for determining the conditions under which something is necessarily true or necessarily false or necessarily anything.
One must remember that this is a construction, not necessarily the reality.
Truth {or that which is true} is conditional {or relative to} reality, no?

1) If truth is relative, then the statement you made is true or false depending on...?
Whether or not that which is being claimed to happen actually happen.
2) There's a reason that truth and true are etymologically, phonetically, and orthographically related. It's because one refers to the attribution of the other to a specific instantiation. Simply put: "Truth" only matters if we can use it as an adjective. If "truth" itself is relative, than having the property of being true (a true statement is a truth, and nothing that is false can be the truth, nor can truth consist of things which are not true, etc.) is again meaningless. That's why there is no corresponding "false" to "truth" the way there is "false" and "true".
Ahh, but there is: it is called "falsehood."
As a noun, truth is a category or classification to which things belong.
OK.
If truth is relative, whatever goes into that category is arbitrary.
I disagree. The criteria for going into that category is being a faithful representation of reality within its environment. Is that meaningless, or does context not matter?
So it couldn't matter less if it is an "adjective" or a "noun". That's just taking old school grammar and improperly applying it to formal language (in which such ambiguities do not exist).
LOL, you just demonstrated the paradox yourself, then claim it does not exist? Priceless! :D
"That which is true cannot be false". Adjectives modify, correct? What is "true" modifying? Is "false" a noun or an adjective here, and why?
"False" is an adjective referring back to "That."
"Truth cannot be false".
"That which is the truth cannot be false".
"Falsehood is untrue."

if you want to play games with grammar then you are going to have issues with logic which deliberately does not deal with these (why on earth would we invent cumbersome formal languages which make simple statements difficult to express if all we needed to do was rely on grammatical categories? Does "truth" fall apart when there is no corresponding noun/adjective distinction in Navajo or Greek?)
Legion, please forgive me for pointing out a flaw with formal language that results in a self-referencing paradox. It must be as embarrassing as wearing brown shoes with a black tuxedo. :sarcastic