• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Theory of Evolution Harmless to Religion?

Abram

Abraham
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Amazing. Well whatever small shred of credibility you had, was just stomped on the neck. We live as we did 2,000 years ago? 1st century was largely agrarian, ignorant, illiterate, and the average person beleived the Earth was only about 3500 years old, and was the center of the solar syst. . . .

You know what? You are right. Some of us are no different now than people were 2,000 years ago. Have a wonderful evening sir.

B.
That is a very valid point I made. I'm sad that I lost you at it. Your my favorite one here to discuss this subject with. Your smart and you always have a answer with out being rude.

But please don't tell me that people all died at 30. People use statistics all the time to prove a invalid point. Car insurance for example, you know why men pay more? Because they used a survey from the late 70's, maybe early 80's that showed men had more accident and tickets. They fail to tell you that the majority of the people that drove were male.

I enjoy your input more then any one on this site and I'm not being sarcastic.

Anything that distracts us from the truth that is in GODs word is HARMFULL! Be it a Lie promoted as TRUTH, or anything else. So yes...believing that we evolved from primates or slime and are thus devoid of any moral obligation is harmfull.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Abram said:
The truth is that people live more or less as long as they did 2000 years ago
But didn't you JUST say that we didn't live as long? Which is it Bud? Longer or shorter? Or are you just making this up as you go along in order to win an argument?

Abram

Abraham
NetDoc said:
But didn't you JUST say that we didn't live as long? Which is it Bud? Longer or shorter? Or are you just making this up as you go along in order to win an argument?
No it was a debate that the the average life span 2000 years ago was around half what it is now. The statistics of a "Average" lifespan don't take in to accountability all the infants and moms that die 2000 years ago. People still made it to older ages (won't put a number here because I don't know)

So you could live a long healthy life 2000 years ago with out the great pills of today.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

searcher63 said:
Anything that distracts us from the truth that is in GODs word is HARMFULL! Be it a Lie promoted as TRUTH, or anything else. So yes...believing that we evolved from primates or slime and are thus devoid of any moral obligation is harmfull.
There ya go, shout it out from the rafters. If it differs with what my preacher says is the word of God then it is a lie. Like heliocentrism, this whole evolution thing will likely fade away over time.

Searcher, how do you figure that if we evolved from a lower form of life this negates any moral obligations? I know a lot of agnostic/athiests, and I have never heard a single one of them suggest that humans have no moral obligations to one another. Curious where you got this idea.

B.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Abram said:
No it was a debate that the the average life span 2000 years ago was around half what it is now. The statistics of a "Average" lifespan don't take in to accountability all the infants and moms that die 2000 years ago. People still made it to older ages (won't put a number here because I don't know)

So you could live a long healthy life 2000 years ago with out the great pills of today.
Well Abram,

I acknowlege your compliment from above, and it is appreciated. I cannot with any great deal of accuracy debate on the average life span 2,000 years ago. However, it can be definatively shown that people today are living about twice as long, on average, as they did at the turn of the last century (1899-1900 era).

The reasons for the advances in the age to which people on average live, is due to science. Some 3rd world countries even in 2006 have a very low life expectancy, and with few exceptions these places are underdeveloped, impoverished, and the people live there much as the western world lived in decades, and centuries past.

There really is no legitimate debate that people today, benefitting from modern medical, scientific, nutritional, etc. . . support are living longer than they ever have in the recorded history of the world.

B.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
So why do women not die in childbirth? Perhaps the women of yore used them dadburned cell phones during delivery and that done them right in. Of course them thar chillin back then were addicted to penicillin so they cacked off right and left! Methinks, you should rethink your contention about technology SHORTENING life spans when the average life span has been increasing steadily over the years.

Abram

Abraham
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Well Abram,

I acknowlege your compliment from above, and it is appreciated. I cannot with any great deal of accuracy debate on the average life span 2,000 years ago. However, it can be definatively shown that people today are living about twice as long, on average, as they did at the turn of the last century (1899-1900 era).

The reasons for the advances in the age to which people on average live, is due to science. Some 3rd world countries even in 2006 have a very low life expectancy, and with few exceptions these places are underdeveloped, impoverished, and the people live there much as the western world lived in decades, and centuries past.

There really is no legitimate debate that people today, benefitting from modern medical, scientific, nutritional, etc. . . support are living longer than they ever have in the recorded history of the world.

B.
Do you think that the increase in population distorts that a bit as well? Or that there was people that live to a 100 years old 2000 years ago?

Yes of course science and medcine help, but so does being cleaner...

YamiB.

Abram said:

There are things that have increased life span besides medical advancements. There was a benifit to lifespan during the middle ages through an improved diet. Women especially benifited, overtaking men in the lifespan department for the first time.

I have a feeling I may be off on the time, it may have been as recent as the Renassiance.

Abram

Abraham
NetDoc said:
So why do women not die in childbirth? Perhaps the women of yore used them dadburned cell phones during delivery and that done them right in. Of course them thar chillin back then were addicted to penicillin so they cacked off right and left! Methinks, you should rethink your contention about technology SHORTENING life spans when the average life span has been increasing steadily over the years.
What about cancer? Is it getting better or worse? Of course smoking will distort this. Do you know that a full scan of your teeth used buy your dentist put 10 times the amount of radiation in your body then a nucular reactor employee is allowed in one year?

Abram

Abraham
YamiB. said:
There are things that have increased life span besides medical advancements. There was a benifit to lifespan during the middle ages through an improved diet. Women especially benifited, overtaking men in the lifespan department for the first time.

I have a feeling I may be off on the time, it may have been as recent as the Renassiance.
I think the diet things taking a turn for the worse due to the convince of fast food.

"I'll take a triple whopper with cheese, king size it and a extra large diet coke please":D

Abram said:
Do you know that a full scan of your teeth used buy your dentist put 10 times the amount of radiation in your body then a nucular reactor employee is allowed in one year?
Are you denouncing dentists, or praising nuclear labor laws?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Mr Spinkles said:
Are you denouncing dentists, or praising nuclear labor laws?
Lets not forget that without modern dentistry and medicine most people wouldn't have any teeth by their mid thirties.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Abram said:
A major factor in longevity calculations is infant and female [from childbirth] death rates.
Most children survive infancy now, and most mothers, birth-- this has pushed up the longevity average.
The truth is that people live more or less as long as they did 2000 years ago
Of course it's a factor. But I fail to see how you reach the conclusion that we live the same amount of time as 2000 years ago from this. Can you provide evidence for this claim?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Abram said:
Your wrong about the goat thing, Jesus was the final sacrifice.

If you think this world is better because of all this new stuff we have, it's your ignorance. If you think cell phones, fast food, and new cars is a better life think again. They shorten the lives of all users. We go home and watch TV and see garbage that fills our minds with impossible dreams. We create new that the TV sells like candy. Every one is taking pills now. I'm sad, here take a pill. I can't think strait, here have a pill. I'm so stressed, here take a pill. Yeah thank God for medicine. Every time they fix one thing it starts 3 bad things. We have only clawed our way out of the dark ages into even darker ages. Entropy my man. Order to chaos...
What's wrong with cell phones?
If you choose to fill your mind with the garbage on TV that speaks to your ignorance.
And yes, thank God for medicine. Thank God for pills. I know I for one would rather take an aspirin than have some crazed religious fundementalist drill a hole in my skull to release the demons.

Abram

Abraham
Fade said:
What's wrong with cell phones?
If you choose to fill your mind with the garbage on TV that speaks to your ignorance.
And yes, thank God for medicine. Thank God for pills. I know I for one would rather take an aspirin than have some crazed religious fundementalist like you drill a hole in my skull to release the demons.
Do your self a favor, read the warnings that come with the phone. Do you remember when the law suit from all the cops that got testicular cancer from laying the radar gun in thier laps.

Australian researchers exposed mice bred with a predisposition to lymphomas to two daily 30-min. doses of cell-phone radiation for up to 18 months. The mice developed tumors at twice the rate of animals that were radiation-free.

We're talking about a billion dollar industry that could care less about our health and more about cash money.

I'm getting way off base here and as I read back on my posts I do look like a world hating freak.:eek:

But as my first post said to answer the thread question. It's harmless to my religion. My God and Bible have with stood thousands of years of doubts, complaints, science, smart people. But his word never changes, He never needs to go back and fix anything. It's great because I don't have to spend my life time trying to figure it out. (instead I spend it here:confused:

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Abram said:
Do your self a favor, read the warnings that come with the phone. Do you remember when the law suit from all the cops that got testicular cancer from laying the radar gun in thier laps.
What does this have to do with cell phones?

Abram said:
Australian researchers exposed mice bred with a predisposition to lymphomas to two daily 30-min. doses of cell-phone radiation for up to 18 months. The mice developed tumors at twice the rate of animals that were radiation-free.
Can you provide a source for this? I would like to learn more about it. AT any rate it makes sense that if something is predisposed to lymphomas that bombarding it with radiation isn't a good idea.

Abram said:
We're talking about a billion dollar industry that could care less about our health and more about cash money.
Industry and Science aren't the same thing.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Abram said:
But as my first post said to answer the thread question. It's harmless to my religion. My God and Bible have with stood thousands of years of doubts, complaints, science, smart people.
Which explanation for the existence of species do you accept, special (and separate) creation? Or, descent with modification?