• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Theory of Evolution Harmless to Religion?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Psalm,

As I notice that this is your first time on here, I thought I would take the opportunity to Welcome you to Religious Forums;

I hope that you would feel able to introduce yourself to the other members of the forum, by posting on:- Are you new to ReligiousForums.com?

Please feel free to ask questions, if you have any. You might like to check out our article with links for our newer members; from there, there is also a link to the forum rules which you ought to look at.

I hope you will enjoy your stay with us, and look forward to seeing your posts. ;)

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21

linwood

It`s this stuff that really irks me…..
pballfreek20:

The reason "Evolution" is considered bad for Christian Religion, is that the orginal stated Evolution theory states that there is no "God", and we all evolved from a one celled organism…..Evolution is a state of chaos and chance.
Psalm:

Let me get this straight. You(the evolution theorists) have no problem believing that fish could derive from elephant, ape derive from bird, or giraffes derive from ants, as long as they have enough time to evolve, but you have a problem in believing that God placed it all himself? WOW.
Tek:

I honestly see evolution depressing.....They believe that a boom and we are all here with no purpose what so ever. There is no life after death or life before life but just now. I honestly think a wise person would believe in a surpeme being
People who haven`t even a cursory understanding if the most basic concepts of something establishing an opinion upon an invisible strawman of their own making.

As to the OP…

I think evolution is indeed a threat to some religions, it is often a threat to certain sects of a religion but not other sects of the same religion.

I think the empirical evidence of the Wedge document, the Dover school board fiasco, and the powers that be in Kansass (among a plethora of similar affairs within religion about science in general) are irrefutable proof of this perceived threat.

Abram

Abraham
It's harmless to my religion. My God and Bible have with stood thousands of years of doubts, complaints, science, smart people. But his word never changes, He never needs to go back and fix anything. It's great because I don't have to spend my life time trying to figure it out. (instead I spend it here:confused: )

He made the world in 6 days, God told me in his 10 commandments just so we don't think a day isn't a day. 6 days you work, the 7th you rest. For I made the world in 6 days (paraphrased)

The chicken came before the egg, God told me.

Everyone is worshiping something, money, science, status, God. God gives me all the proof I need in day to day life. Some people require complex explanations that require 4 years of college. God only requires a heart. I love you Lord! thxs

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Abram,

it baffles me why you insist on downing education. Perhaps it is because as people become more educated, statistically, they, statistically become less likely to be religious. Yeah, keep attacking the intelligencia, that strengthens your position.

B.

Believe2Believe

The evolution theory is not a 'harm' to religion..it simply opposes all that most religions teach. They are two sides of a railway track..never to meet. Evolutionist are in the mindset that life started from a single cell (correct me if im wrong) but creationists believe in a higher being, as even the single cell did not pop out of nowhere or create itself!!

greatcalgarian

Abram said:
It's harmless to my religion. My God and Bible have with stood thousands of years of doubts, complaints, science, smart people. But his word never changes, He never needs to go back and fix anything. It's great because I don't have to spend my life time trying to figure it out. (instead I spend it here:confused: )

He made the world in 6 days, God told me in his 10 commandments just so we don't think a day isn't a day. 6 days you work, the 7th you rest. For I made the world in 6 days (paraphrased)

The chicken came before the egg, God told me.

Everyone is worshiping something, money, science, status, God. God gives me all the proof I need in day to day life. Some people require complex explanations that require 4 years of college. God only requires a heart. I love you Lord! thxs
Life must be very simple and easy for you. God has given you all the answer. There is no need to go to school, to study Math, Science, history, philosophy, logic, debate, argueing etc, to run experiment to prove something, or to find out more, when philosophers have been pondering since human being started the cabability of reasoning and thinking on the question of "chicken first or egg first", and you can come up with such confident and assured answer of "The chicken came before the gg, God told me."
If you are so sure about everything, and God has told you about everything, I wonder why are you posting in this RF? Are you seeking for information that you could not get from God, or are you trying to convince all of us that what you know (God told you so) is the absolute truth?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Tek said:
I honestly see evolution depressing.....They believe that a boom and we are all here with no purpose what so ever. There is no life after death or life before life but just now.
Where exactly does evolution state that there is no purpose to life?

Tek said:
I honestly think a wise person would believe in a surpeme being
And you really call yourself a Buddhist? How do you reconcile diametrically opposed beliefs?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Abram said:
If everyone believed what you believe we would still be sacrificing goats and living in huts made of straw and clay. Forget electricity or medicine or even basic sanitation. The world we live in today is not the product of simple minds like yours. The computer you are using was not created by someone without 4 years of college...of that you can be sure. Humanity has clawed its way out of the dark ages by rebelling against ignorance and blind faith. Personally I think we're much better for it.

Abram

Abraham
Fade said:
If everyone believed what you believe we would still be sacrificing goats and living in huts made of straw and clay. Forget electricity or medicine or even basic sanitation. The world we live in today is not the product of simple minds like yours. The computer you are using was not created by someone without 4 years of college...of that you can be sure. Humanity has clawed its way out of the dark ages by rebelling against ignorance and blind faith. Personally I think we're much better for it.
Your wrong about the goat thing, Jesus was the final sacrifice.

If you think this world is better because of all this new stuff we have, it's your ignorance. If you think cell phones, fast food, and new cars is a better life think again. They shorten the lives of all users. We go home and watch TV and see garbage that fills our minds with impossible dreams. We create new drugs that the TV sells like candy. Every one is taking pills now. I'm sad, here take a pill. I can't think strait, here have a pill. I'm so stressed, here take a pill. Yeah thank God for medicine. Every time they fix one thing it starts 3 bad things. We have only clawed our way out of the dark ages into even darker ages. Entropy my man. Order to chaos...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Abram said:

If you think this world is better because of all this new stuff we have, it's your ignorance. If you think cell phones, fast food, and new cars is a better life think again. They shorten the lives of all users. We go home and watch TV and see garbage that fills our minds with impossible dreams. We create new drugs that the TV sells like candy. Every one is taking pills now. I'm sad, here take a pill. I can't think strait, here have a pill. I'm so stressed, here take a pill. Yeah thank God for medicine. Every time they fix one thing it starts 3 bad things. We have only clawed our way out of the dark ages into even darker ages. Entropy my man. Order to chaos...
I've known people who believed like you that modern society was overall worse than ancient societies and they acted on their beliefs to go live in teepees. Do you see this as an option for you?

Abram

Abraham
Sunstone said:
I've known people who believed like you that modern society was overall worse than ancient societies and they acted on their beliefs to go live in teepees. Do you see this as an option for you?
No, then I would be hiding from the world. I don't believe in coincidence, so it's all happening for a reason. Besides I enjoy many of the things society has given me. Like this computer I'm typing on...

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Abram said:

Care to explain how the average life span back in the golden age of ignorance was about 30 and now its about 75? Honestly if we relied on fundamentalists we would still be living as they did in the Dark Ages.

B.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Abram said:
They shorten the lives of all users.
Hello?

You do realise that our life span is about DOUBLE that of the first century? On that fact alone, your diatribe sounds overly paranoid. I won't bother going into the rest of it.

TheGreaterGame

Sunstone said:
In the apartment above mine lives a dog. Everyday, the postman comes and the dog everyday barks at the postman. This has been going on for years. But the dog has never learned that the postman is harmless.

It occured to me today that some of the people who oppose the theory of evolution on religious grounds might have something in common with that dog. That is, they might never have learned that evolution is harmless to their religion. Still, they "bark" at it.

But is this true? Is the theory of evolution harmless to religion? Or, does it really undermine religion, as so many people think? What do you think? And if you think it does undermine religion, precisely why does it undermine religion?
If anything it strengthens religon . . . why would anyone put their hope in such a horrible hypothesis?

Abram

Abraham
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Care to explain how the average life span back in the golden age of ignorance was about 30 and now its about 75? Honestly if we relied on fundamentalists we would still be living as they did in the Dark Ages.

B.
A major factor in longevity calculations is infant and female [from childbirth] death rates.
Most children survive infancy now, and most mothers, birth-- this has pushed up the longevity average.
The truth is that people live more or less as long as they did 2000 years ago

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Abram said:
A major factor in longevity calculations is infant and female [from childbirth] death rates.
Most children survive infancy now, and most mothers, birth-- this has pushed up the longevity average.
The truth is that people live more or less as long as they did 2000 years ago
Amazing. Well whatever small shred of credibility you had, was just stomped on the neck. We live as we did 2,000 years ago? 1st century was largely agrarian, ignorant, illiterate, and the average person beleived the Earth was only about 3500 years old, and was the center of the solar syst. . . .

You know what? You are right. Some of us are no different now than people were 2,000 years ago. Have a wonderful evening sir.

B.