• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Theory of Evolution Harmless to Religion?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
RagnarGalt said:
Fascinating comment... Would you care to explain in detail the scientific method, and in turn, how it applies to the religious fervor with which evolution is preached in schools... The so-called evidence in every case as it concerns evolution is questionable or inaccurate, and instead of updating the hypothesis as called for in the scientific method when experiments don't pan out, 'scientists' simply come up with new 'experiments' to try to prove the same tired old theory....YADA YADA YADA
You had me at hello. For some-one who demonstrably has 'zero' scientific knowledge you certainly do wax lyrical. :bonk:

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Lady Moon said:
Evolution doesn't harm my religion. In fact, it has nothing to do with my religion. So I'm not worried about it.
:clap

This is exactly what I said. When you think about it, evelution doesnt really harm any religion, at least to my knowlege.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
RagnarGalt said:
Fascinating comment... Would you care to explain in detail the scientific method, and in turn, how it applies to the religious fervor with which evolution is preached in schools... The so-called evidence in every case as it concerns evolution is questionable or inaccurate, and instead of updating the hypothesis as called for in the scientific method when experiments don't pan out, 'scientists' simply come up with new 'experiments' to try to prove the same tired old theory...
Upon re-reading your post I found myself asking, 'what experiments have scientists performed that didn't pan out?' I did a quick google and came up with a wikipedia article that discussed experimental evolution in some detail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_evolution

Could you do me the honour of pointing out where and when these experiments didn't exactly 'pan out'?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Sunstone said:
If evolution is true, then isn't the story of Adam and Eve literally false. And if the story of Adam and Eve is literally false, then what happens to the notion of original sin?

As you may already be aware that as Catholics we submit to Church teaching. Original Sin certainly is one of them. For that, we do believe Adam and Eve were real people who disobeyed God. Outside of that catholics can squabble and disagree about the details.

~Victor

Beck63Don

mormonman said:
the reason it doesn't hurt religion is because it's wrong.
You should become a Pagan. Then you wouldn't need to think evolution was wrong just to keep your faith. You're either intellectually dishonest or you're really ignorant. Maybe both.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Lady Moon said:
You should become a Pagan. Then you wouldn't need to think evolution was wrong just to keep your faith. You're either intellectually dishonest or you're really ignorant. Maybe both.
This assumes only paganism can do such...:rolleyes:

~Victor

Solon

mormonman said:
the reason it doesn't hurt religion is because it's wrong.
It's wrong, lol, and you know different ?, next you'll be telling us the whole of the fossil record has been planted by Satan. Is that what the LDS think lol, unreal man, unreal.:biglaugh:

Solon

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
offically the LDS leadership doesn't say that Evolution is falce.... or that it harms Faith to acknowlege it.
Upon the fundamental doctrines of the Church we are all agreed. Our mission is to bear the message of the restored gospel to the world. Leave geology, biology, archaeology, and anthropology, no one of which has to do with the salvation of the souls of mankind, to scientific research, while we magnify our calling in the realm of the Church. . . Upon one thing we should all be able to agree, namely, that Presidents Joseph F. Smith, John R. Winder, and Anthon H. Lund were right when they said: "Adam is the primal parent of our race" [First Presidency Minutes, Apr. 7, 1931].
however as you can see there are literalist camps and figurative camps ammongst average members.

wa:do

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Apex said:
:clap

This is exactly what I said. When you think about it, evelution doesnt really harm any religion, at least to my knowlege.
IF your religion claims that the Bible is to be taken literally, and IF it is proven that the natural science's explanation of how life came to be on this planet is correct, THEN evolution is definately harmful to your particular religion.

I frankly don't understand how anyone could take the Bible literally word for word, as the Bible itself is self contradicting, but that is likely a debate for a different thread.

B.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
In an official document, no the first presidency has not said that evolution is wrong. But, a book by Joseph Fielding Smith, "Docterines of Salvation" he clearly states that evolution is wrong. By the way Joseph Fielding Smith was a prophet of the church. The Bible says that we were created in the image of God. Right??? So does that mean poeple that profess to believe in the bible and evolution think that God is a cell? That seems kind of silly. Anyway why would God use evolutionary means to create man when he didn't have to. God can do anything he wants, including create man w/o the help of evolution. Now if evolution is true there would be no fall of man. Because the first humans would be totally ignorant they wouldn't be able to sin. NO ORIGINAL SIN = NO FALL OF MAN = NO NEED FOR AN ATONEMENT. This theory denies the saviorhood of Christ. Anyway why would Adam, one of the most important people that has ever lived, a prophet of God, be a ignorant half man half ape. It doesn't make sence. And for you science people I have many facts why evolution is wrong, but I don't have time right now. I'll tell ya tomorrow.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Mormonman said:
And for you science people I have many facts why evolution is wrong, but I don't have time right now. I'll tell ya tomorrow.
If you want to discuss why you believe evolution to be wrong, do it in another thread. This thread is not about why evolution is wrong, but about whether the theory of evolution harms religion. Stick to the topic in this thread.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
mormonman said:
In an official document, no the first presidency has not said that evolution is wrong. But, a book by Joseph Fielding Smith, "Docterines of Salvation" he clearly states that evolution is wrong.
That only speaks to Smith's ignorance.

pballfreek20

The reason "Evolution" is considered bad for Christian Religion, is that the orginal stated Evolution theory states that there is no "God", and we all evolved from a one celled organism. That being said when you read the Bible it says different. The Bible also states that the whole universe is a planned design. Evolution is a state of chaos and chance.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
pballfreek20 said:
The reason "Evolution" is considered bad for Christian Religion, is that the orginal stated Evolution theory states that there is no "God", and we all evolved from a one celled organism. That being said when you read the Bible it says different. The Bible also states that the whole universe is a planned design. Evolution is a state of chaos and chance.
Pretty good post, except that it's a myth the theory of evolution ever stated there was no God. That's just propaganda.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
mormonman said:
So does that mean poeple that profess to believe in the bible and evolution think that God is a cell? That seems kind of silly. Anyway why would God use evolutionary means to create man when he didn't have to. God can do anything he wants, including create man w/o the help of evolution. Now if evolution is true there would be no fall of man.
I think that is a great question. 'Why would God use evolution?'.
More importantly though, why would he make it appear that evolution took place if it wasn't true? Why leave a fossil record at all? In fact, if God can do anything, why bother with humans and the rest of planet earth at all? Because, to be honest, I doubt God could get bored or lonely.
What scares me is that you believe in a God who is playing a game. Just like a child with an ant farm. And if that is true then what's the point? Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather believe in oblivion than be a pawn in a cosmic game of chess.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I to point it out Mormonman but Evolution says nothing about the existance or lack there of, of Origional Sin and/or the "fall" of man.
Many religions are able to square the "physical" Evolution of life with the "spiritual" Evolution of man.

wa:do