• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is the study of life science or religion?

is this a god or science that have humankind study the universe?

• a god inspires humankind to study the universe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • science and knowledge drive humankind to study the universe

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • both a god and science

• i don't believe in a god

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • not sure

• Total voters

Luke

this i s study of life

i get in arguement in school with a person on this subjket. he believe in miraculous. i believe in mänskligheten or humankind t o attainment with the cosmos.

is the universe a miraculous or is it science. how do we study the universe, will we believe i t to be miracle from a god or science to have mänskligheten to explore and conquer it?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't think people have to choose between studying the universe by various means. Whether theologically, scientifically, or philosophically, man can describe and work within the context of each/any.

Luke

what makes a person want t o know what is the universe and what iis life. do you look to the cosmos for a god or d o you look to explore different stars and planets?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Luke, I believe it is mankind's innate curiousity that drives him to study the universe. Basically, that is why religion and science were created: Because Man and Woman asked "Why?"

So, in answer to your question, I don't think it is either religion or science that drives man to study the universe. It is the mere existence of the Unknown that does so.

Luke

Luke, I believe it is mankind's innate curiousity that drives him to study the universe. Basically, that is why religion and science were created: Because Man and Woman asked "Why?"

So, in answer to your question, I don't think it is either religion or science that drives man to study the universe. It is the mere existence of the Unknown that does so.
överens med,thiis is we want knowledge of study the universe. i think science keep asking the questons what is i n the unknown and mankinds want to find out.

gnostic

The Lost One
If you are referring to studying life, such as human and animal behaviour, habits, their anatomy, illnesses, and medicine, etc, then science is the study of life.

Religion is completely worthless in this area.

If you mean culture, morals and laws, then science (eg. social science and political science) and religion, can each contribute a part of their studies, but I would still think science is worth more, mainly because science encourage growth and progress. Religion used archaic scriptures and teaching that can become outdated in our changing societies.

Evee

I disagree with the first few and last sentences of your post, but am with you on some of the other stuff...
If you want to study human behaviour or medicine, religion is an excellent starting point. Human behaviour is greatly influenced by religion, even the behaviour of non-relgious people, simply because so many people are religious. Medicine in many aboriginal and pagan communities is, or at least has been, profoundly tied to their spirituality.
I also disagree that religious teaching are irrelevent today, but that's not this debate. :)

I think science and belief in G-d are both important parts of understanding the world around us. It is impossible, imho, to obtain a full understanding of the world without examining it from both a scientific and a religous or spiritual perspective.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Your post is confusing, but I did understand enough of it to vote for the one that says I don't believe in any god(s). But if you mean studying humanity as a whole, then science and religion are both part, since religion is a huge part of human civilization. Even if you don't believe in it, it still plays a huge role in the human societies of the world.

But if the question is more referring to something along the lines of "does religion explain the mysteries in life or does science?" The answer would be neither, but leaning more toward science, while really so much is just speculation either way.

gnostic

The Lost One
Evee said:
If you want to study human behaviour or medicine, religion is an excellent starting point. Human behaviour is greatly influenced by religion, even the behaviour of non-relgious people, simply because so many people are religious. Medicine in many aboriginal and pagan communities is, or at least has been, profoundly tied to their spirituality.
So what medicine is found in the hebrew bible?

The only thing I can recall is not to eat pig because they are dirty.

Does it have anything to treat common cold, headache, stomach ailment, delivering babies?

How about mental illnesses?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
So what medicine is found in the hebrew bible?

The only thing I can recall is not to eat pig because they are dirty.

Does it have anything to treat common cold, headache, stomach ailment, delivering babies?

How about mental illnesses?

they have old wives tales for that :D

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
överens med,thiis is we want knowledge of study the universe. i think science keep asking the questons what is i n the unknown and mankinds want to find out.
I don't quite understand your response. :sorry1:

You say that science keeps asking questions and mankind wants to find out. Well, duh. It is man who has "created" science: Science exists because man is asking Why. (Religions exist because man is asking Why, too.)

I prefer the answers science gives to the questions because there seems to be an objective reason behind the answers. Science is continually evolving and "fixing" itself: previous predictions or theories are changed or tossed as new knowledge is gained.

I do not see the same self-correction in religion. Many religions believe they already hold the Truth, capital T, so they have no reason to change. And yet, I find it hard to believe that any one of these religions can have it competely right.

gnostic

The Lost One
buttons* said:
they have old wives tales for that :D

:biglaugh:

willamena said:
Kind of irrelevant.

Sure it is.

The only "study of life" that the Tanakh is reading the behaviours of the crazy biblical characters, and learning the archaic teachings of laws and morality in the scripture.

But if you want to learn about social behaviour, biology, botany, zoology or history...etc, than you wouldn't use any scripture of any sorts. Science is far more relevant in this area than religion could ever be.

As to the study of the universe, which is the poll all about, I would prefer the more naturalistic and scientific explanation, to the outdated and primitive mythology of the scripture....but I will have to admit, the primitive cosmogony and creative mythology (like about Enki, Zeus or Odin) is far more entertaining than any science book.

Last edited:

Luke

Your post is confusing, but I did understand enough of it to vote for the one that says I don't believe in any god(s). But if you mean studying humanity as a whole, then science and religion are both part, since religion is a huge part of human civilization. Even if you don't believe in it, it still plays a huge role in the human societies of the world.

But if the question is more referring to something along the lines of "does religion explain the mysteries in life or does science?" The answer would be neither, but leaning more toward science, while really so much is just speculation either way.

perhaps i should say science and a god. i agree with you say religion is big part o f societe becuase humankind make there own gods.

linwood

is the universe a miraculous or is it science. how do we study the universe, will we believe i t to be miracle from a god or science to have mänskligheten to explore and conquer it?

It depends on what kind of conclusions you want.

If you want answers that reflect the reality of the material universe you trust in scientific method to eventually give them to you.

If you want to validate pre-conceived ideas of the universe given to you by a religion or your own unfounded spiritual ideas you go with god.

ayani

ultimately, i believe there is a God who controls, guides, and causes, and who has hard-wired spiritual interest in us humans.

yet a human being can certainly chose not to believe in or acknowledge Him, and to ascribe their intelligence and spiritual curiosity to themselves.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
If you are referring to studying life, such as human and animal behaviour, habits, their anatomy, illnesses, and medicine, etc, then science is the study of life.

Religion is completely worthless in this area.

If you mean culture, morals and laws, then science (eg. social science and political science) and religion, can each contribute a part of their studies, but I would still think science is worth more, mainly because science encourage growth and progress. Religion used archaic scriptures and teaching that can become outdated in our changing societies.

Actually one of the first recipes for lye soap is in the Bible. Which is arguable the most valuable tool ever made as far as health concerns. It can be found in Numbers 19. So to say religion is worthless for medical issues is not only incorrect, but you can credit God and the Bible for giving us the most valuable tool ever. Too bad it took scientist many years to catch up.

From Kyle Butts, M.A.:

With all the symbolism in the Old Testament, it is important that we do not overlook the Old Testament instructions that were pragmatic in value and that testify to a Master Mind behind the writing of the Law. One such directive is found in Numbers 19, where the Israelites were instructed to prepare the “water of purification” that was to be used to wash any person who had touched a dead body.

At first glance, the water of purification sounds like a hodge-podge of superstitious potion-making that included the ashes of a red heifer, hyssop, cedar wood, and scarlet wool. But this formula was the farthest thing from a symbolic potion intended to “ward off evil spirits.” On the contrary, the recipe for the water of purification stands today as a wonderful example of God’s brilliance, since the recipe is nothing less than a procedure to produce an antibacterial soap.

When we look at the ingredients individually, we begin to see the value of each. First, consider the ashes of a red heifer. As most school children know, the pioneers in this country could not go to the nearest supermarket and buy their favorite personal-hygiene products. If they needed soap or shampoo, they made it themselves. Under such situations, they concocted various recipes for soap. One of the most oft’-produced types of soap was lye soap. Practically anyone today can easily obtain a recipe for lye soap via a quick search of the Internet. The various lye-soap recipes reveal that, to obtain lye, water was poured through ashes. The water retrieved from pouring it through the ashes contained a concentration of lye. Lye, in high concentrations, is very caustic and irritating to the skin. It is, in fact, one of the main ingredients in many modern chemical mixtures used to unclog drains. In more diluted concentrations, it can be used as an excellent exfoliate and cleansing agent. Many companies today still produce lye soaps. Amazingly, through God’s inspiration, Moses instructed the Israelites to prepare a mixture that would have included lye mixed in a diluted solution.

Furthermore, consider that hyssop also was added to the “water of purification.” Hyssop contains the antiseptic thymol, the same ingredient that we find today in some brands of mouthwash (McMillen and Stern, 2000, p. 24). Hyssop oil continues to be a popular “healing oil,” and actually is quite expensive. In listing the benefits of Hyssop, one Web site noted: “Once used for purifying temples and cleansing lepers, the leaves contain an antiseptic, antiviral oil. A mold that produces penicillin grows on the leaves. An infusion is taken as a sedative expectorant for flue, bronchitis, and phlegm” (see “Hyssop”).

Two other ingredients stand out as having cleansing properties. The oil from the cedar wood in the mixture provided a minor skin irritant that would have encouraged scrubbing. And the scarlet wool (see Hebrews 9:19) added wool fibers to the concoction, making it the “ancient equivalent of Lava® soap”
(McMillen and Stern, 2000, p. 25).

Thousands of years before any formal studies were done to see what type of cleaning methods were the most effective; millennia before American pioneers concocted their lye solutions; and ages before our most advanced medical students knew a thing about germ theory, God gave the Israelites an award-winning recipe for soap.

The entire article can be found here. http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/1795