• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible too Contradictory for All of it to be True?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But without discussing the how's? the whys? and their significance, this would be a pretty short thread, n'est-ce pas?

Milton Platt

But without discussing the how's? the whys? and their significance, this would be a pretty short thread, n'est-ce pas?

Yes it would and that is as it should be. The OP did not ask those questions, and the one he asked was answered.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I have not heard it said about the Bible that some contradictions make the whole thing false.
I have heard many, many, many people say that some truth in it makes the whole thing true.
Here's the challenge: find any single "truth" in the Bible that cannot be refuted, directly and without over-interpretation, by something else from the very same Bible.

I'll give you just one example: the inherited sin of Adam. Is it possible that a child can be guilty of a parent's transgression?

YES
I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation. Exodus 20:5 , Deuteronomy 5:9

NO
The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin. Deuteronomy 24:16

Notice, please, that Deuteronomy, just one book of the Bible, comes down sides of the question. Since the Bible doesn't even seem to agree with itself, what "truth" do you think you should take from it?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Here's the challenge: find any single "truth" in the Bible that cannot be refuted, directly and without over-interpretation, by something else from the very same Bible.

I'll give you just one example: the inherited sin of Adam. Is it possible that a child can be guilty of a parent's transgression?

YES
I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation. Exodus 20:5 , Deuteronomy 5:9

NO
The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin. Deuteronomy 24:16

Notice, please, that Deuteronomy, just one book of the Bible, comes down sides of the question. Since the Bible doesn't even seem to agree with itself, what "truth" do you think you should take from it?
Being guilty and being punished are two different things...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Being guilty and being punished are two different things...
There's a silly quibble, if ever I saw one. So, explain to me which sin your father, grandfather or great-grandmother committed for you are personally guilty? Just one will do.

And tell me also, how "visiting the iniquity" is not anywhere near the same thing as punishing. Be sure to quote your Hebrew sources.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
There's a silly quibble, if ever I saw one. So, explain to me which sin your father, grandfather or great-grandmother committed for you are personally guilty? Just one will do.

And tell me also, how "visiting the iniquity" is not anywhere near the same thing as punishing. Be sure to quote your Hebrew sources.
The children are not guilty of their parents crimes.
They are merely being punished for their parents crimes.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

YES

NO
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/dt/24.html#16 Except discipline and death are not the same thing. Death is the end of learning. Discipline is for learning something.

Is it a rhetorical question?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sins against The God take a person off the way of holiness and because a person's descendants do not have the advantage of learning The Way it will take generations to get it back, usually, as it is not a law, but a warning.

Visiting the iniquity is punishing, but not death. See JOB. Job 2:5-6

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Except discipline and death are not the same thing. Death is the end of learning. Discipline is for learning something.

Is it a rhetorical question?
Gosh I hate Christian apologetics -- sophistry at its worst. It basically comes down to this: "if the meaning isn't quite palatable, then see if you can twist the words to make some other meaning that seems "better."

And you are throwing in the word "discipline" which was used in none of the texts I cited. Why? To suggest that maybe that discipline wasn't death? When really, in Deuteronomy, there really wasn't much else used as a punishment other than death (kinda like some US Red states).

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Gosh I hate Christian apologetics -- sophistry at its worst. It basically comes down to this: "if the meaning isn't quite palatable, then see if you can twist the words to make some other meaning that seems "better."

And you are throwing in the word "discipline" which was used in none of the texts I cited. Why? To suggest that maybe that discipline wasn't death? When really, in Deuteronomy, there really wasn't much else used as a punishment other than death (kinda like some US Red states).
Are you kidding? YOU say the two scriptures contradict each other. It is EXTREMELY obvious that they don't. Visiting a person's iniquity means disciple. Discipline is love. The other scripture says God DOES NOT cause the death of a son because of a father's sin. But God DOES cause discipline to a son because of a father's sin.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The sin of a father will not cause the death of his son. The sin of a father will cause discipline to a son.

The children and further offspring of parents who sin against God will suffer but the sin of the parents does not cause the death of the offspring.

I'd rather be an apologetic than stupid fyi

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The sin of a father will not cause the death of his son. The sin of a father will cause discipline to a son.

The children and further offspring of parents who sin against God will suffer but the sin of the parents does not cause the death of the offspring.

I'd rather be an apologetic than stupid fyi
So the son of David and Bathsheba was not killed (over 7 long, agonizing days) but merely "disciplined? Explain.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Good point. Except, was the child killed? Or did the child die a natural death?

I think Deuteronomy 5:9 is about the death penalty.
2 Samuel 12

13 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” Nathan answered, “The Lord has taken away your sin. You will not die. 14 But what you did caused the Lord’s enemies to lose all respect for him. For this reason the son who was born to you will die.”