• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible too Contradictory for All of it to be True?

Faithofchristian

How many throughout history has waited for Revelations to come. In 1917, the whole church believed it was here (WW1). The Bobonic Plague was said the beginning as well. It killed 25 million in the Roman Empire (6th century) and one third of the world population in the 14th century.

Jesus had an answer for those seeking the end:

Gospel of Thomas:
(18)
(1) The disciples said to Jesus: "Tell us how our end will be."
(2) Jesus said: "Have you already discovered the beginning that you are now asking about the end?
For where the beginning is, there the end will be too.
(3) Blessed is he who will stand at the beginning.
And he will know the end, and he will not taste death."

The only problem they all had,
Had they read and listen to what Christ Jesus had said. Was all given for his 2nd coming.
As Disciple John has also said in all things Written in the book of Revelation is the 2nd coming of Jesus.
If I'm not wrong, the 2nd coming of Jesus has not happen Yet.
Therefore many more of those Prophecy that God has given in the book of Revelation is still taking place.

Phantasman

So you seek Spiritual understanding.
Let's see if you have Spiritual understanding to discern in the book of John 20 11-12, As Mary stood by the tomb, she look inside and saw two angels. One sitting at the feet, and one sitting at the head, Where the body of Jesus had laid.

What is the reason for those two angels to be sitting in the way their sitting. What are they Revealing in the way their sitting.
It means nothing spiritually. Physically, it was to sooth the shock of the missing as the Jews and Romans weren't trustworthy. Was there two angels or one? Since the Gospels were more than likely not written by eye witnesses, choose the story of the body of Christ you wish. The key is that the flesh wasn't there.

Mark:
5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
Luke:
2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.
4 And it came to pass
, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee
Matthew:
2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

Faithofchristian

So you seek Spiritual understanding.
Let's see if you have Spiritual understanding to discern in the book of John 20 11-12, As Mary stood by the tomb, she look inside and saw two angels. One sitting at the feet, and one sitting at the head, Where the body of Jesus had laid.

What is the reason for those two angels to be sitting in the way their sitting. What are they Revealing in the way their sitting.
It means nothing spiritually. Physically, it was to sooth the shock of the missing as the Jews and Romans weren't trustworthy. Was there two angels or one? Since the Gospels were more than likely not written by eye witnesses, choose the story of the body of Christ you wish. The key is that the flesh wasn't there.

Mark:
5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
Luke:
2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.
4 And it came to pass
, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee
Matthew:
2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

John 20:10-12
Verse 10--"Then the disciples went away again unto their own home, But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping, and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre, And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, Where the body of Jesus had lain"

What is the significance in the way the two angels are sitting.
What are the two angels revealing by the way their sitting.

Phantasman

The only problem they all had,
Had they read and listen to what Christ Jesus had said. Was all given for his 2nd coming.
As Disciple John has also said in all things Written in the book of Revelation is the 2nd coming of Jesus.
If I'm not wrong, the 2nd coming of Jesus has not happen Yet.
Therefore many more of those Prophecy that God has given in the book of Revelation is still taking place.
Whatever. I'm no longer orthodox. There are those who want to follow his instructions in flesh. No flesh will be saved.
John 20:10-12
Verse 10--"Then the disciples went away again unto their own home, But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping, and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre, And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, Where the body of Jesus had lain"

What is the significance in the way the two angels are sitting.
What are the two angels revealing by the way their sitting.
Enlighten me.

Faithofchristian

Whatever. I'm no longer orthodox. There are those who want to follow his instructions in flesh. No flesh will be saved.

Enlighten me.

You Enlighten me, if a person does not Repent now, and do not follow the teachings of Christ Jesus, they will in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 13:2-3 --"And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans because they suffered such things, I tell you, Nay, but, Except you repent , you shall all likewise perish"

Therefore people are called to repent now or all likewise perish.

Phantasman

You Enlighten me, if a person does not Repent now, and do not follow the teachings of Christ Jesus, they will in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 13:2-3 --"And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans because they suffered such things, I tell you, Nay, but, Except you repent , you shall all likewise perish"

Therefore people are called to repent now or all likewise perish.
I don't know you. You don't know me.

You sound like the typical orthodox believer, and one young to the spirit.

I am 67 years old and had traveled that orthodox path for for 26 years. You are not telling me anything I haven't known.

Let me give you a parable.

Christians are not a good and bad as one see's a Star Wars movie. I have not slipped to the Dark Side of evil, being some Darth Vader of Christianity.

What I see now, is comparable to what Neo saw towards the end of the Matrix (movie). The gnosis is given to those who "take the chance" to see it. Once known, the Gospel (Christs words) and Paul's teaching, jump out at you, allowing you to see the differences in what the orthodox follow blindly (like those going about the illusion of physical life in Neo's world) and the understanding of spiritual gnosis that those who are on the narrow path see's.

I could never fall backward to the ignorance of the orthodox way. The early Christians embraced death, just like Christ did. They were persecuted and killed by the Jews, the Romans, and the orthodox Roman church. They were the true saints. A saint is those who follow Christ. Today, they are the elite of the Catholic church.

Without knowledge, men are blindly led by ignorance.

Jesus pulled out the root of the whole place, while others did it only partially. As for ourselves, let each one of us dig down after the root of evil which is within one, and let one pluck it out of one's heart from the root. It will be plucked out if we recognize it. But if we are ignorant of it, it takes root in us and produces its fruit in our heart. It masters us. We are its slaves. It takes us captive, to make us do what we do not want; and what we do want, we do not do. It is powerful because we have not recognized it. While it exists it is active. Ignorance is the mother of all evil. Ignorance will result in death, because those who come from ignorance neither were nor are nor shall be. [...] will be perfect when all the truth is revealed. For truth is like ignorance: while it is hidden, it rests in itself, but when it is revealed and is recognized, it is praised, inasmuch as it is stronger than ignorance and error. It gives freedom. The Word said, "If you know the truth, the truth will make you free" (Jn 8:32). Ignorance is a slave. Knowledge is freedom. If we know the truth, we shall find the fruits of the truth within us. If we are joined to it, it will bring our fulfillment.- Philip

Colossians:
2 For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;

2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;

3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

1 Corinth:
6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Paul is saying that "he" had the hidden knowledge. He says the Jews (and man) never had it. Had they, Christ would have been revealed.

The books of gnosis were taught by Paul, and not included in the Bible. The catholics chose the OT instead. And the OT doesn't have the hidden (spiritual) knowledge. Those who followed gnosis had it through Paul.

Pauls Gospel church was the true church. Peters turned into an abomination.(RCC)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A saint is those who follow Christ. Today, they are the elite of the Catholic church...............
One idea

The books of gnosis were taught by Paul, and not included in the Bible. The catholics chose the OT instead. And the OT doesn't have the hidden (spiritual) knowledge. Those who followed gnosis had it through Paul.

Pauls Gospel church was the true church. Peters turned into an abomination.(RCC)
Another idea.

I don't understand that one idea can be reconciled to the other one.

Phantasman

One idea

Another idea.

Catholic definition:
The title "Saint" denotes a person who has been formally canonized, that is, officially and authoritatively declared a saint, by the Church as holder of the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven, and is therefore believed to be in Heaven by the grace of God.

And then there are saints:
A saint (also historically known as a hallow) is a person who is recognized as having an exceptional degree of holiness or likeness or closeness to God.[1][2] Depending on the context and denomination, the term also retains its original Christian meaning, as any believer who is "in Christ" and in whom Christ dwells, whether in Heaven or on Earth

Paul uses the term many times as those believers in the different congregations. The catholics believed it was those elite who promoted "canonization", aka the catholic ideology.

There is a difference. Pope Urban II who sent the crusades to kill people in the name of God is a catholic saint.

It's just a perspective that doesn't match Pauls use of the word.

Phantasman

One idea

Another idea.

I don't know if I addressed the question you proposed. I thought it was about saints.

The bottom of your post may be different.

The books of gnosis from Paul (non canon) does not agree with the OT. But it does edify the Gospel (just like canon Paul does).The OT "tries" to edify the Gospel, but falls short with a lot of contradiction, yet the truth was clouded, and man needed to save himself best he could.

The catholics used the OT to bring the Gospel back to the ways of men (priests, Phaisee's, Sadducee's, etc). Gnosis takes the Gospel into a higher spiritual understanding. I lived under both, and much prefer the books of gnosis over the OT. Those followers killed the son of God, Gnosis is the better path, at least for me. It amplifies understanding of spiritual Christ, something the OT doesn't do.

whirlingmerc

Is the Bible too contradictory for all of it to be true? I've heard that said about the Bible, but I don't know enough about it. What do you think?

Often so called contradictions are due to one author bringing up only the portion of facts relevant to what he is trying to emphasize.... not really a contradiction.... sometimes the same time might be in roman, greek or hebrew retconning depending on the audience written to... also not a contradiction

Phantasman

Often so called contradictions are due to one author bringing up only the portion of facts relevant to what he is trying to emphasize.... not really a contradiction.... sometimes the same time might be in roman, greek or hebrew retconning depending on the audience written to... also not a contradiction
Some contradictions are not important and some are.

Whether the two thieves "sneered" at Jesus, or one gave compassion to Jesus, isn't important. One God being jealous and murdering man, and one God who knows no jealousy, sending his son to save "all men", is a contradiction. It is the definition of "grace" on a spiritual level.

John 8 is a great example, but only if you choose to accept it.