• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible Just a Myth?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Ah yes, but some people don't 'need' to see or perceive the logical to believe something. Some people do tho!
Yes you can believe in anything with all your heart, but it doesn't mean its true, I myself don't need to believe the stories are true in a literal way, so I never have to defend my beliefs, because there not there.

Shad

Veteran Member
You're correct, I know nothing of "mans" philosophy, all I know is "Christ and Him crucified"!

At least you admit your ignorance and isolation from source that conflict with your sole doctrine.

Well, I have also heard the saying that God cannot lie. I guess the real point is what value is there in speaking about God in this way?

What you heard is not philosophy of religion. This is the difference between hearsay and education.

I.e. trying to find things that are self-contradictions etc. So, from that perspective, I do see it as "silly". I think the spiritual perspective is to focus on progress. :smile:

This does not resolve your error.

djhwoodwerks

You admitted your ignorance of any philosophy but the one you think is from God, which was told to you by men... Hilarious.

47b20s0.gif

djhwoodwerks

You admitted your ignorance of any philosophy but the one you think is from God, which was told to you by men... Hilarious.

Colossians 2:8 (ESV) 8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

Shad

Veteran Member
Colossians 2:8 (ESV) 8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

Which was created by men, repeated by men, told to you by men and preserved by men. Just because you think it is from God doesn't mean it is.

More so this is telling you to be closed minded. Good thing we no longer follow this standard for medicine. Do you reject the philosophy of science when you need medical attention? Do you use doctors? If yes then you do follow philosophies of men when it works and is acceptable by you. Yet when a view is incompatible with your religion you blather on about your verse rejection philosophies of men.

Milton Platt

This is a comment that so many people use saying that the Bible is, indeed, mythical stories. And yet I find it so interesting, as archeological discoveries continue, that it continues to validate what was written.

At what point does one accept, after validating documentation appears again and again, does on finally accept it as historical?

Here is the latest one that has been discovered validating the works of King Hezekiah who lived around 700 BC.

http://www.livescience.com/56300-gate-shrine-excavated-in-israel.html

The fact that there are a few actual places or people noted in the stories does not validate the god claims and miracle claims. Many books of fiction mention actual places and/or people.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well, science tells us that our solar system is about 5 billion years old. If I'm not mistaken, if the Bible were interpreted literally then it would say that the earth is 5777 years old (e.g. the Jewish New Year). I know there are some that hold to this literal interpretation but I don't think that many do and I don't think that many Jewish people do (Jewish friends, correct me if I'm wrong).

I think the Scriptures should be looked at in these ways (among others):

1. What is the purpose of God and the author? The particulars may not be as important as the intended message.

2. What could a past occurrence mean about today? A beautiful concept in Judaism called "Midrash".

3. What is the powerful wisdom that God is conveying?

For example, the teaching of Jesus: "Let him who has no sin cast the first stone." Very powerful and beautiful. The message is clear and the particular context was a vehicle to convey a general principle (in this case, the particular context was also important in the instance too).

I do not believe that to be the case. I believe the account has been misinterpreted. Adam and Eve are not the first man and woman but the first humans so called by the gods.

Shad

Veteran Member
Well, science tells us that our solar system is about 5 billion years old. If I'm not mistaken, if the Bible were interpreted literally then it would say that the earth is 5777 years old (e.g. the Jewish New Year). I know there are some that hold to this literal interpretation but I don't think that many do and I don't think that many Jewish people do (Jewish friends, correct me if I'm wrong).

I think the Scriptures should be looked at in these ways (among others):

1. What is the purpose of God and the author? The particulars may not be as important as the intended message.

2. What could a past occurrence mean about today? A beautiful concept in Judaism called "Midrash".

3. What is the powerful wisdom that God is conveying?

For example, the teaching of Jesus: "Let him who has no sin cast the first stone." Very powerful and beautiful. The message is clear and the particular context was a vehicle to convey a general principle (in this case, the particular context was also important in the instance too).

4. Enslaving people from other religions is acceptable. You can also pass them on as property to your heirs

5. Stoning children that are "rebellious" is acceptable punishment

6. Genocide is okay when God says it is.

When you take off the rose-tinted glasses there are a lot of immoral lessons floating around. This is what you call wisdom?