• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible Just a Myth?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
This is a comment that so many people use saying that the Bible is, indeed, mythical stories. And yet I find it so interesting, as archeological discoveries continue, that it continues to validate what was written.

At what point does one accept, after validating documentation appears again and again, does on finally accept it as historical?

Here is the latest one that has been discovered validating the works of King Hezekiah who lived around 700 BC.

http://www.livescience.com/56300-gate-shrine-excavated-in-israel.html

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It partly depends upon your world view. You can't master everything. You have to pick a set of things to learn about.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Yes for me personally its diffidently a myth, but like all myths it does have deep meaning for those who can see it, but most don't or can't.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
This is a comment that so many people use saying that the Bible is, indeed, mythical stories. And yet I find it so interesting, as archeological discoveries continue, that it continues to validate what was written.

At what point does one accept, after validating documentation appears again and again, does on finally accept it as historical?

Here is the latest one that has been discovered validating the works of King Hezekiah who lived around 700 BC.

When we start finding proof of Jewish slavery in Egypt, I'll start listening.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

They've excavated What they think is Troy from Homer's Iliad.

It doesn't mean that Achilles was invulnerable, or that a godess handed him a second spear to kill Hector.

Big difference

buddhist

At best, the jars found near the gate may be validated to belong "to the King". Nothing more, nothing less. It does not validate the whole of the Bible or of the Judaeo-Christian traditions - just like how discoveries of various ancient monasteries do not validate the whole life of the Buddha or Buddhism.

moorea944

Well, we know that the bible is not a myth. One reason are the prophecies that have come to pass. Look at Daniel for just starters. Daniel saw the different Kingdoms that would take over Babylon. Look at Jeremiah, he told Israel that if they didnt go back to God, He would send in Babylon to conquer them. Israel to become a nation again, that happened in 1948. The Jews would go back to their land, that is happening now. Just too many to list. But who are we to question the power of our Creator.

Too many people try to discredit the bible. Trying to figure out creation, the plagues of Egypt, etc, etc. We think with our fleshly minds instead of recognizing that our Creator is in control of everything. He is the creator and sustainer of life.

buddhist

Well, we know that the bible is not a myth. One reason are the prophecies that have come to pass. Look at Daniel for just starters. Daniel saw the different Kingdoms that would take over Babylon. Look at Jeremiah, he told Israel that if they didnt go back to God, He would send in Babylon to conquer them. Israel to become a nation again, that happened in 1948. The Jews would go back to their land, that is happening now. Just too many to list. But who are we to question the power of our Creator.

Too many people try to discredit the bible. Trying to figure out creation, the plagues of Egypt, etc, etc. We think with our fleshly minds instead of recognizing that our Creator is in control of everything. He is the creator and sustainer of life.
I have not personally observed the utterances of these alleged prophecies or their fulfillments for myself. However, even if these alleged prophecies did come to pass, it still does not prove that the biblical "god" is the Creator of the Universe.

If I somehow managed to communicate with ants, and tell them that in 20 generations a colony will be destroyed with a flood, and then when 20 ant generations have passed, I come back and throw a bucket of water on their anthill, does that make me the Everlasting Almighty Creator?

moorea944

I have not personally observed the utterances of these alleged prophecies or their fulfillments for myself. However, even if these alleged prophecies did come to pass, it still does not prove that the biblical "god" is the Creator of the Universe.

If I somehow managed to communicate with ants, and tell them that in 20 generations a colony will be destroyed with a flood, and then when 20 ant generations have passed, I come back and throw a bucket of water on their anthill, does that make me the Everlasting Almighty Creator?

So your question is, how do we know that there is a God?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

There are a lot of stories in the Bible, analogies, and facts just as any other spiritual book. Likewise, there are archaeological facts to back up most religious books. The Bible isn't unique. The Bible is "a traditional story (stories), especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or event."

That's the definition of a myth. Unless there is another context you're referring to, myths are not always false, they are just stories that often involve supernatural events that cannot be proven in and of themselves. People discard them but myths are not bad in and of themselves.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

Those who believe the Bible can be either only history or only myth have greatly deluded themselves.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Kansas has a verifiable history of tornadic activity, clear evidence of the historicity of Munchkins and the Wizard of Oz.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
What are we supposed to do then?
We are to let everyone have their own idea of what the scriptures mean, we are all different in our spiritual so called journey, and that's the way it should be, we have to do away with fundamentalist stupid beliefs, no matter where it comes from.

Kenny

Premium Member
Yes for me personally its diffidently a myth, but like all myths it does have deep meaning for those who can see it, but most don't or can't.
I get the drift... but the question remains--if archaeological discoveries continue to confirm what is written, at want point does a court of law establish it as a valid historical account.

Kenny

Premium Member
Kansas has a verifiable history of tornadic activity, clear evidence of the historicity of Munchkins and the Wizard of Oz.
LOL... is that really applicable.

It would go more like this... "there is a myth that there are tornado activity in Kansas. Archaeological discoveries find houses ripped apart, roofs missing and a swath 1/2 a mile wide and 2 miles long of torn trees"

your answer "Munchins are real"?????

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
No it isn't all myth, and determining what is myth etc is a personal thing, as far as I'm concerned. I'm convinced that many things actually can't, be myth, logically, because of timeline and geographical issues, so forth.