• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IS St. Patricks day

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
No.

It's a Catholic Saints day.

But it does use some older Pagan symbols. Eggs, bunnies, etc.

The Pagan holiday is 3-4 days after St Patrick's day, and it is called Ostara, named for the goddess Eostre. Who's pronounced name sounds rather similar to "Easter".

Palehorse

St Patrick's Day is a Catholic holy day, which honors the Catholic saint who brought Christianity to Ireland: St Patrick. That doesn't sound even remotely pagan to me.
Saint Patrick was English

Not irish....he was captured and never returned....that's why a 4 leaf clover is special
And saint valentine was just a valentine...lol

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Not irish....he was captured and never returned....that's why a 4 leaf clover is special
And saint valentine was just a valentine...lol
Yes, St Patrick was an Englsih slave in Ireland. He escaped. He became a Christian, and went back to the people that had enslaved him to do the Christian thing of "sharing the gospel." Again, I see nothing pagan in that.

Palehorse

Yes, St Patrick was an Englsih slave in Ireland. He escaped. He became a Christian, and went back to the people that had enslaved him to do the Christian thing of "sharing the gospel." Again, I see nothing pagan in that.
Should of been catholic rather than christian...just sayn...idk

IndigoChild5559

Should of been catholic rather than christian...just sayn...idk
Catholics ARE Christians. At that time in history, the Catholic church was the only church in europe. There were no protestant denominations, and the east west split had not yet occurred.

IndigoChild5559

Captured by the irish...never givn back.....he learned to love the irish...but was never returned to his family....
I don't know that he ever made it back to his biological family. But he certainly did escape from the Irish and return to England. There he became a Christian, and then go the idea to GO BACK to the Irish to spread the gospel.

InChrist

Free4ever
Pagan? Leprechauns wearing green etc...
Some additions may be pagan, but the true account of Patrick shows the hand of God in his life to spread the good news of Jesus Christ to the people of Ireland, including those who formerly held him captive in slavery…

“Ireland has a very distinctive history. It was an island untouched by the Roman legions, and Patrick, the Evangelist, brought to it the Gospel of grace. Patrick was descended from a family that had placed their faith in Christ Jesus for at least two generations. He tells us his father was “the deacon Calpurnius, son of the late Potitus, a presbyter, of the settlement of Bannaven Taburniae.”[1] These facts are recorded in Patrick’s own testimony of faith. This authentic document is preserved in five manuscripts: one in the Book of Armaghof the seventh century, the second in the Cotton Library of the tenth century, a third in the French monastery of St. Vedastus, and two more in the Cathedral Library of Salisbury. This authenticated document is the main source of both the person and the mission of Patrick, and also his clear statement of the Gospel of grace.”

“Patrick was born in the year A.D. 373[2] in a town on the River Clyde in Roman Britain, now a part of Scotland. When he was sixteen years old, Patrick was captured by a band of pirates who sold him to a chieftain in what is now county Antrim in Northern Ireland. For six years he tended flocks. In his testimony, he tells us, “I was taken captive before I knew what I should desire and what I should shun.”[3] It was during the time of his captivity that he turned from his careless ways and came to a saving knowledge of Christ Jesus. He was convicted that he was a sinner. In his own words,

efore I was humbled I was like a stone lying in deep mire, and He that is mighty came and in His mercy raised me up and, indeed, lifted me high up and placed me on top of the wall. And from there I ought to shout out in gratitude to the Lord for His great favours in this world and for ever, that the mind of man cannot measure.”“
“Patrick relates how, after six years, he escaped and following a difficult journey on land and sea returned to his people in Scotland. In his own words, “I was again in Britain with my family [kinsfolk], and they welcomed me as a son, and asked me, in faith, that after the great tribulations I had endured I should not go any where else away from them.”[9]

“He speaks of being called again in a dream another night, but makes it clear how he interpreted what was happening by the Scriptures. He wrote, “‘Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we know not how to pray as we ought. But the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for utterance.’” And again, “‘The Lord our advocate intercedes for us.’” Thus, Patrick relies on Scripture to understand his experience and to see that it was the Lord Himself who was calling him. In his own words, “He who gave his life for you, He it is who speaks within you.”[11] He understood that Christ Jesus, who had died for his sins, was the One who was calling him to work as an evangelist in the very island where he had been held captive.

A second historical document from Patrick’s own hand is his letter to Coroticus. In it he explains, “Thus I am a servant in Christ to a foreign nation for the unspeakable glory of life everlasting which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Pagan? Leprechauns wearing green etc...

Another one for the list: the colour green is pagan.

Other things that are purportedly pagan according to threads like these: celebrations, feasts, decorations, presents, seasonal flora, seasonal fauna, seasonal or abundant foodstuffs, awareness of the seasons, harvests.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
It’s quite funny the most Irish day is the celebration of an Englishman who showed them the light :D

(He might have been from modern day Wales though)
And St Columba was the Irishman who introduced Christianity to the inhabitant of Scotland and, via Lindisfarne, to Northumbria. When I visited Iona last summer I read that, although he took the name "columba", symbolising the dove of peace, he was actually chucked out of Ireland for fighting. :) How very Irish.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
that's why a 4 leaf clover is special
That's a myth that the four leaf clover is associated with St Patrick's Day. Ask any Irishman about it. While the shamrock is a symbol, the four leaf clover isn't a St Patrick's Day symbol in Ireland. It's a Celtic good luck charm.