• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion inferior to logic ?

Audie

Veteran Member
Ah. So at best, you've seriously misunderstood what atheists have told you and at best you're just making stuff up about people you disagree with.

In either case, not anything that reflects on reality. Glad we cleared that up.
If someone feels free to make up
whatever suits them about me personally,
why not about any grouping? Something about
Integrity might be a reason.

Audie

Veteran Member
Usually belief in the superior intellect and reasoning powers of the one who declares, There is no God.
Is that sarcasm?
Belief in God isn't even about intellect
or reasoning.
Figuring out that it makes no sense requires
some intelligence.
Declaring as fact that there is no God is
as sense-less as saying there is.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
If someone feels free to make up
whatever suits them about me personally,
why not about any grouping? Something about
Integrity might be a reason.

Well, if you can show me integrity with evidence, I will listen to you. If you don't have any evidence, you have made it up as it suits you.
So learn to differentiate between facts and norms.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
That no gods exist unless and until it can be shown that they do.
You keep on making this sort of claim, without the slightest bit of evidence (reference to any atheist every saying anything like it, for example) but I know literally nobody who believes it. I can only conclude that you're just making it up.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You keep on making this sort of claim, without the slightest bit of evidence (reference to any atheist every saying anything like it, for example) but I know literally nobody who believes it. I can only conclude that you're just making it up.

Well, we do have at least one strong gnostic atheist. So yes and no, if you want to nick.
In general it is more along the line off.
Gods are without evidence, therefore there are no good reasons to believe in them.
The problem is that the latter is not a fact, it is a norm.

RestlessSoul

Is that sarcasm?
Belief in God isn't even about intellect
or reasoning.
Figuring out that it makes no sense requires
some intelligence.
Declaring as fact that there is no God is
as sense-less as saying there is.
Yeah, it’s sarcasm. Thought you’d recognise it…

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is "none"ism aka Atheism (with all its shades) inferior to logic, please?
Is "none"ism aka Atheism (with all its shades) superior to logic, reason, science, please?
I think unbelief in the supernatural (or anything else) is personal, whereas logic is a shared systematized version of aspects of human reason.

So I don't see a basis for comparison. It's like asking if an A380 is better or worse than Harrison Ford.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think unbelief in the supernatural (or anything else) is personal, whereas logic is a shared systematized version of aspects of human reason.

So I don't see a basis for comparison. It's like asking if an A380 is better or worse than Harrison Ford.

Well, is logic universal or does it have limits like any other human behavior?

Audie

Veteran Member
Yep

You figure it's just randomly personal whether
someone is gullible, or that there's a commonality
of clear / honest logical thinking for those who
are not?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
atheism is not "noneism" in that it is an ideology that contains beliefs and reasoning and bias the same as any other.
Do you think it's helpful to you or others to keep repeating this and being repudiated by actual atheists who, unlike you, know what atheism is? Do you know what an ideology is? It's more than one idea. It is "a system of ideas and ideals." What is so difficult to understand that atheism is nothing more than a no answer to the question of whether one believes in gods? Is that a difficult concept to assimilate? Where's the ideology there?

My ideology is humanism, not atheism. It's a *system* of ideas that comprise a worldview. Its metaphysics is godless. Its epistemology is empiricism (skepticism, valid reason applied to evidence) with an explicit repudiation of faith as a path to truth. And its ethical system is based in the application of reason to basic utilitarian intuitions in the furtherance of human well-being. Atheism has none of that except the tentative acceptance that the universe may be godless, a position amenable to revision should evidence arise pointing to a deity.

And you still haven't addressed (much less assimilated) my argument that rational bias is the same as knowledge, and that learning empirically is the accumulation of rational biases. It's going from having no opinion to having a preference based in the application of reason to evidence (experience).

The critical thinkers bias is one of the most powerful intellectual inventions of mankind. It's the one that converted alchemy to chemistry, astrology to astronomy, and creationism to Big Bang cosmology and evolutionary science. Skepticism is a bias against received "knowledge" and belief by faith.
By the way, if we are comparing logic and faith, they are both very useful
I've found no use for faith. You apparently have some need it meets. However, learning to avoid accumulating unjustified beliefs has been quite helpful. How has faith helped you? Are your faith-based beliefs comforting? You call faith useful, but can you use your faith-based beliefs for anything else other than relieving existential angst or whatever it is they do for you? Do those beliefs inform choices in ways that lead to better outcomes and a better life than the choices you would make without them? Rhetorical question. I already know the utility of unfalsifiable beliefs - zero beyond some form of comfort or reassurance if that.

Audie

Veteran Member
Do you think it's helpful to you or others to keep repeating this and being repudiated by actual atheists who, unlike you, know what atheism is? Do you know what an ideology is? It's more than one idea. It is "a system of ideas and ideals." What is so difficult to understand that atheism is nothing more than a no answer to the question of whether one believes in gods? Is that a difficult concept to assimilate? Where's the ideology there?

My ideology is humanism, not atheism. It's a *system* of ideas that comprise a worldview. Its metaphysics is godless. Its epistemology is empiricism (skepticism, valid reason applied to evidence) with an explicit repudiation of faith as a path to truth. And its ethical system is based in the application of reason to basic utilitarian intuitions in the furtherance of human well-being. Atheism has none of that except the tentative acceptance that the universe may be godless, a position amenable to revision should evidence arise pointing to a deity.

And you still haven't addressed (much less assimilated) my argument that rational bias is the same as knowledge, and that learning empirically is the accumulation of rational biases. It's going from having no opinion to having a preference based in the application of reason to evidence (experience).

The critical thinkers bias is one of the most powerful intellectual inventions of mankind. It's the one that converted alchemy to chemistry, astrology to astronomy, and creationism to Big Bang cosmology and evolutionary science. Skepticism is a bias against received "knowledge" and belief by faith.

I've found no use for faith. You apparently have some need it meets. However, learning to avoid accumulating unjustified beliefs has been quite helpful. How has faith helped you? Are your faith-based beliefs comforting? You call faith useful, but can you use your faith-based beliefs for anything else other than relieving existential angst or whatever it is they do for you? Do those beliefs inform choices in ways that lead to better outcomes and a better life than the choices you would make without them? Rhetorical question. I already know the utility of unfalsifiable beliefs - zero beyond some form of comfort or reassurance if that.
Faith is very useful along with logic.
They cancel eachother.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, is logic universal or does it have limits like any other human behavior?
Logic (when it's not loosely used as a synonym for reason) is one formal part of our understanding of reason, concerned with the relation of particular kinds of inputs to valid conclusions (rather than the accuracy or validity of inputs). If you wish to improve your cooking, your poetry, your love life, your politics, it may not be all that helpful.