• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion a man-made insitution?

NoName

Atheist_Dave said:
This is why religion is so useless in society today, "I am right and you are wrong, my book is true". The problem is that someone else is just as faithful as you but believes something completely different, grrr it makes me mad :p

Peace x
I hear you on that one!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Maize said:
But can you accept the other person's belief in their claim as valid for them?
Well, I'm not Aqualung (in case you didn't notice), but I think that each of us has to find the best path he can. It's really pretty unrealistic to think that we can all come to the same understanding of all things spiritual. We each have different backgrounds and personalities and what works for one person might not work for someone else. I know I've posted this before, but I love this quote: "Fundamental righteousness is based on adherence to what you know to be true." In other words, while there may be (and I believe there are) certain "absolute truths," I believe that our integrity in standing for what we personally feel to be true is more important that getting all the answers right.

Aqualung

Tasty
Maize said:
But can you accept the other person's belief in their claim as valid for them?
No. Because if I think there is only one true (i.e. valid) religion, then it will be the only valid religion for everybody. I can except that certain people just aren't going to accept my religion as the one true religion, and will therefore follow different paths, but I certainly don't think those paths are "valid" per se. I can respect your right to follow whatever religion you want, for whatever reason you want, but that's going to be the extent of that.

Aqualung

Tasty
mr.guy said:
Aqualung, why should one be respected for following what is obviously a false religion?
I'm not respecting them for that reason. I'm respecting their right to follow it. If I'm respecting anything, I'm respecting the constitution.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Aqualung said:
No. Because if I think there is only one true (i.e. valid) religion, then it will be the only valid religion for everybody.
I don't understand that. That is so foreign to me.

Aqualung

Tasty
Maize said:
I don't understand that. That is so foreign to me.
It's like, 2+2=4, right? That is an absolute truth. 4 is the only valid answer to that equasion. If somebody insists on thinking that the answer is really 5, they're wrong. 5 is not "true for them" or "valid for them" because truth and validity exist outside and independent of that person. There are no shades of truth, and no shades of validity.

mr.guy

crapsack
Aqualung said:
I'm not respecting them for that reason. I'm respecting their right to follow it. If I'm respecting anything, I'm respecting the constitution.
Is it possible the constitution is wrong?

Perhaps you make too many allowances for the ignorant: to what extent should this be condoned?

Aqualung

Tasty
mr.guy said:
Is it possible the constitution is wrong?
Sure, but I live in this country, and I respect it.

mr.guy said:
Perhaps you make too many allowances for the ignorant: to what extent should this be condoned?
To what extent should what be condoned? To what extent should I allow people to follow their religion? To the extent that it begins to infringe upon the rights of others (like the constitution says :D)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Aqualung said:
It's like, 2+2=4, right? That is an absolute truth. 4 is the only valid answer to that equasion. If somebody insists on thinking that the answer is really 5, they're wrong. 5 is not "true for them" or "valid for them" because truth and validity exist outside and independent of that person. There are no shades of truth, and no shades of validity.
Most of life is not nearly so cut and dried as mathematics.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Aqualung said:
No, I meant the part about there only one true and valid religion for everyone. I just cannot follow that.

mr.guy

crapsack
Aqualung said:
Sure, but I live in this country, and I respect it.
So you're happy to respect something that's wrong (the constitution). Why then, do you only respect the right to be wrong and not the religion that's wrong?

Aqualung

Tasty
mr.guy said:
So you're happy to respect something that's wrong (the constitution). Why then, do you only respect the right to be wrong and not the religion that's wrong?
No, I'm happy to respect something that you think might be wrong.

Surya Deva

2+2 = 5

Is it right or wrong?

The answer is wrong. In this case there is right and wrong answer.

But, suppose the question was what colour is THIS
Many would say blue, but then what is THIS

Also blue? But they can't both be Blue. But it's also not wrong that they are Blue. They are shades of blue, and actually have proper names.

This is what almost all religions are like for me. They are all based on the same thing, happiness, peace, love and spirituality. So for me they are all the same colour, but only of different shades.

So how could I say any of these religions are right or wrong over the other? If I say Christianity is wrong, and Hindusim is right, given that both are about getting salvation and becoming one with god, they cannot be mutually exclusive. What does separate them are the beliefs about god and what salvation is, and for me, that is only a difference in the shade.

Popeyesays

Suraj said:
2+2 = 5

Is it right or wrong?

The answer is wrong. In this case there is right and wrong answer.

But, suppose the question was what colour is THIS
Many would say blue, but then what is THIS

Also blue? But they can't both be Blue. But it's also not wrong that they are Blue. They are shades of blue, and actually have proper names.

This is what almost all religions are like for me. They are all based on the same thing, happiness, peace, love and spirituality. So for me they are all the same colour, but only of different shades.

So how could I say any of these religions are right or wrong over the other? If I say Christianity is wrong, and Hindusim is right, given that both are about getting salvation and becoming one with god, they cannot be mutually exclusive. What does separate them are the beliefs about god and what salvation is, and for me, that is only a difference in the shade.

Very elegant, Suraj. I agree. It is not that there are many paths to God, it is that all those paths are the same path and people cluster at the various lamp posts, many not realizing that there is another lamp post just as bright and warm a little ways down that expressway to God.

Regards,
Scott

Abram

Abraham
A true relationship with God is freedom from religion. Religion is a man made byproduct to categorize different beliefs. Religion was formed after God reveled himself to us. Before that we worship gods, poles, idols, people. You could call it religion but no one really knew there was a God before Christ. His death is the central theme of all history and the way he choose to prove his exsistance. Now we can say without a doubt there is a God. But the devil clouds our minds with doubt and other options, but still one truth remains, God. Don't matter how you communicate with him, only that you try.