• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion a man-made insitution?

nightwolf

I think it is a man made thing. But I also believe that religion fits into the whole spiritual worlds agreement. There is without a doubt things going on in the spiritual world that need to be reconized and religion helps us see these things. Like lets take the bible for instance (since one of the biggest religions is christain), I believe that any God had no intentions of having written proof of anything. Man kind decided to sit down to write a book about God and he came in and helped write the book. There are things without a doubt that go on in our everyday life that cannot be explained in any other way then mysteries. I think as humans we always hope (or become convinced) we are a part of something bigger. Alot of people would not want to except the fact that there is a chance that we are simply here, we die and thats the end, althought thats not what I believe.

Interesting topic, got my brain thinking.

A

angellous_evangellous

Master Vigil said:
What do you think? Is it a man-made institution or is it a god-made institution? Or is it something else?
Since none of us can prove that any gods exist, we must conclude that religion is definately a man-made institution, which I think is the primeval form of human government: giving divine meaning and purpose to the norms of a society and the community's pattern of life. The goal, of course, of religion is the self-preservation of the community.

That is not to say that personal or communal faith has no object. We must hope that there is something else and by faith allow religion to give purpose to our lives.

Surya Deva

Religion is definitely man-made. Even if religion was a divine revelation to somebody, it was man who had to institutionalize that and devise the rituals that are characteristic of all religions. I honestly doubt that it was God who said to man to worship idols, or to get baptized in water or to pray fives times a day.

I don't see how any of these rituals make man a better person.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Man made, for man's benefit. God is God and does not benefit from us, but us from him. Religion is how we believe we can do his will, with many different concepts, man made concepts, of what God wants.

Aqualung

Tasty
I think some religions are man made, but not mine. :D I also think some are man-progressed, in that it started out as god's religion, but then men decided to take control.

Aqualung

Tasty
Suraj said:
I don't see how any of these rituals make man a better person.
They make us a better person because they humble us and increase our faith because we're willing to do whatever it takes for him. It's like that story in the bible about the guy who had leprosy, and the prophet told him to wash seven times in the jordan.

Surya Deva

They make us a better person because they humble us and increase our faith because we're willing to do whatever it takes for him.
Rather they encourage man to believe blindly. For instance, are you really going to be redeemed of all sin, if you are baptized? Is it that simple :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
all beliefs on this world (in my oppinion) started with a human (i won't say man because i don't want to be sexist ;) )

Surya Deva

all beliefs on this world (in my oppinion) started with a human
LOL, come on it is politically correct to say "man" Anyway according to the bible, it was man who was created first, the woman was only created, out of a spare rib, to give him company. It's a man's world! :D

Aqualung

Tasty
Suraj said:
Rather they encourage man to believe blindly. For instance, are you really going to be redeemed of all sin, if you are baptized? Is it that simple :D
Well, you have to repent of your sins first. Then you have to be baptised (by immersion) by one who holds the priesthood. Then you have to recieve the holy ghost. Then you have to endure to the end. Then you are going to be redeemed of all sin.

Surya Deva

Aqualung, and the above is proof that even your religion is man-made. Was it god who devised this ritual? Was it god who qualified the priesthood?

Moreover, when you say have to repent for your sins, then receive the holy ghost, who is it that tells you "Now you're sins have been redeemed" is it god, or is it the priest?

In other words this ritual is by humans, the judging is also by humans and granting redemption is also by humans. It is a man-made system. What does god have anything to do with it?

mr.guy

crapsack
In other words this ritual is by humans, the judging is also by humans and granting redemption is also by humans. It is a man-made system.
You left out that sin is also a human invention.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Aqualung said:
They make us a better person because they humble us and increase our faith because we're willing to do whatever it takes for him. It's like that story in the bible about the guy who had leprosy, and the prophet told him to wash seven times in the jordan.
Or, God could just think you're a bit silly for blindly doing what everyone else does without questioning the purpose or result of a ritual. But that's just me speculating.

Personally i'd say all religions are an attempt by man to figure out his/her own existance - the reason for why things exist, we people do acts of good and evil etc...

The way I understand it, most religious thought is either making the individual feel better about their own mortality i.e. myths about heaven or reincarnation are generated so that the mind feels safe that it will continue after death in some form.
Or, it (religion) is explaining the seemingly unexplainable, for example - the creation of the universe and the human consciousness.

Some people need it, come people don't. Personally i think you should find your own answers, not rely on anyone elses.

Aqualung

Tasty
Suraj said:
Aqualung, and the above is proof that even your religion is man-made. Was it god who devised this ritual? Was it god who qualified the priesthood?
Uh... yes.

Suraj said:
Moreover, when you say have to repent for your sins, then receive the holy ghost, who is it that tells you "Now you're sins have been redeemed" is it god, or is it the priest?
It is both.

Aqualung

Tasty
Halcyon said:
Or, God could just think you're a bit silly for blindly doing what everyone else does without questioning the purpose or result of a ritual. But that's just me speculating.
He could, but I don't think he's a liar. (when Jesus said that even he had to be baptised to fulfill all righteousness, I don't think he was lying. Am I that much better than christ, that I already have fulfilled all righteousness, and don't need baptism?)

Surya Deva

Uh... yes.
Really, the priesthood was qualified by god? Oh, I get it, the priest showed you the certificate "This is to certify that the fellow clergyman has been approved by god, signed god"

It is both.
What you really mean to say, that it is the priest that pronounces you redeemed, but you believe it is god.

So you only do the ritual to feel better about yourself and entertain your own imagination. You don't really care whether it worked or not.