• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is premarital sex really a sin?

Sonofason

I would point out that you're certainly not "free" to do so. Doing so will cost you. It will cost you the respect of your fellows, which, you may find, is more precious, in the long run, than your "principles."
I understand that there are consequences to what we say and do, and I assure you I consider them before I speak and before I act.

Harikrish

Most men believe pre-marital sex is sin. The word **** comes to mind. Most women may disagree because they enjoyed the experience all the same.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I understand that there are consequences to what we say and do, and I assure you I consider them before I speak and before I act.
IOW, you've predetermined that what you want to do is perfectly OK, but what others want to do ... is not OK.

Sonofason

IOW, you've predetermined that what you want to do is perfectly OK, but what others want to do ... is not OK.
Not exactly. Some people agree with me and will approve of what I choose to do, and I will certainly approve of what some of those people do. But if I, and they do not approve of what some others want to do, then we will do what we are capable of doing that we believe is necessary to do to stop them from doing what we believe they ought not do. It is what it is, like it or not.

Sonofason

Unless they're gay. Because then they're simply sin, itself.
I don't believe that people can "be" sin. But you are free to believe that. However, according to scripture, "He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination to the LORD."
(Proverbs 17:15)

sojourner

Not exactly. Some people agree with me and will approve of what I choose to do, and I will certainly approve of what some of those people do. But if I, and they do not approve of what some others want to do, then we will do what we are capable of doing that we believe is necessary to do to stop them from doing what we believe they ought not do. It is what it is, like it or not.
I don't get why you feel that what they do is worth your great effort to stop them. Why can't you simply let them be?

sojourner

I don't believe that people can "be" sin. But you are free to believe that. However, according to scripture, "He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination to the LORD."
(Proverbs 17:15)
Sexuality is a huge part of our identity -- who we are. Therefore, if you believe homosexuality is a sin, then you believe those who identify as such are, themselves, sin.

Sonofason

I don't get why you feel that what they do is worth your great effort to stop them. Why can't you simply let them be?
Because they are a negative influence to children whose minds are easily dis-formed and manipulated, to do that which is contrary to the will of God.

Sonofason

Sexuality is a huge part of our identity -- who we are. Therefore, if you believe homosexuality is a sin, then you believe those who identify as such are, themselves, sin.
I don't believe that one's sexuality is a part of one's identity. I believe it is a learned behavior. So I don't see it as you do.

sojourner

I don't believe that one's sexuality is a part of one's identity. I believe it is a learned behavior. So I don't see it as you do.
What you believe is immaterial. What we know is what should guide our behavior in this regard.

Sonofason

Oh, you mean like love others unconditionally.
No, no, it is good to have friends. It is good to love your friends. It is not good to make love with your same sex friends.

Unconditional love is one thing. Sex and marriage is something altogether different.

Sonofason

Not the least bit worried.
Merely curious if there was something other than wishful thinking used to support your bias and prejudice.
Perhaps there is more.
Homosexual couples less healthy than married heterosexuals, study finds | News | LifeSite
Facts About Youth – Health Risks of the Homosexual Lifestyle
Emotional, behavioral, and HIV risks associated with sexual abuse among adult homosexual and bisexual men
Homosexual Health

Homosexual and lesbian conduct is indeed more dangerous, even if those individuals are monogamous. Children who become enticed to relinquish their inhibitions regarding sexual identity will be more prone to engaging in homosexual and lesbian conduct and a homosexual and/or bisexual lifestyle, thus, encouraging homosexuality harms children.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member

Really?
Being that forming a sexual identity is a necessary process in forming one’s overall identity, interrupting this natural process can be quite harmful.
Sexual identity forms our identity. You see sexual identity as a choice, something to learn?
I didn't "learn" to be a male that prefers females. We are talking about sex aren't we?
I have no interest, call it desire if you like, to have sex with a male.
To me it's a repulsive thought. I really can't imagine the physical experience of such as it's alien to me.
That said, I find it quite easy to identify with gay men. Why? Well, I'm not homophobic, have no fear that I might harbor some sort of latent homosexual
fanatsy.
I have had a number of male friends that were gay, have casually known a couple of trans pesons. It's not for me to make judgements.
The Bible says (what I've read) that homosexulaity is a sin. God, then will deal with that.
Pre-marital sex is wrong according to scripture.
That being the case a large percentage of us are in deep doo-doo with God.
I'm older, perhaps a bit wiser, and no longer act out as I did in my reckless youth.