• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Modesty Dead in America?

whirlingmerc

Just wondering if anyone sees the hedonistic uncouthness that I do?

There is a mix. I know some very modest girls. America is quite a mix

True some girls are not very modest about how they dress... to a degree modesty depends on the person and individual conscience.

Also in hot climates some people are used to wearing clothes that help them cool down but in general many girls in high school and college might be better served letting their inner beauty shine and a bit more fashionable modesty would be good

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That is a rare sighting.
I would know.....I spot such things.

So do I...and I see plenty. Campus life is good!

But seriously, I am more bothered by someone trying to cover too much body with too little material than I am just showing the body. At least the latter is honest.

What is modesty anyway? If it is simply an attempt to be polite and not offend others, it is respectable to some extent. But that is very determined by the social situation. Don't wear a thing bikini to a funeral.

But if it is because of an opinion that the human body is ugly and should be hidden, I completely disagree.

If it is because there is a concern others will be 'tempted sexually', then those others have to learn how to control themselves and learn to live with others of different views. Sex is a part of life and should be celebrated, discussed, and enjoyed.

And if the idea is that there is something 'guilty' about certain parts of our bodies, all I can say is to get over yourself. Everyone here is naked under their clothes. If we were meant to be naked, we'd be born that way...oh.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I was thinking something similar...
With religions inspiring the masses, mankind runs amok.

Perhaps, but they run amok with their clothes on.

giphy.gif

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
For me, tight leggings that go right into the crack of a woman's butt is far too exhibitionistic.
Then maybe don't look at butts.;)

I guess the question would have to be what harm does that do to any of us? Much like some getting hung up on football players taking a knee in protest, whereas I asked those who are bothered by that as well much the same question, as long as no one is really hurt, what's the problem?

Ya, there are things I don't like to see as well, but if no one is harmed, se la vis.:shrug:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

True some girls are not very modest about how they dress... to a degree modesty depends on the person and individual conscience.

Also in hot climates some people are used to wearing clothes that help them cool down but in general many girls in high school and college might be better served letting their inner beauty shine and a bit more fashionable modesty would be good
There are a lot of Indians in my area. The saree is entirely modest yet very very colorful and attractive to the eye.

Compliments women very nicely I think, and they look incredibly comfortable to wear.

It's an excellent mix of sexuality and modesty in Perfect Harmony and people won't have to cover up their kids eyes either.

Holdasown

Is the problem the dress seems to give the impression they are loose? How one might dress does not always represent their morals. I know people who dress sexy who are shy and not in any way promiscuous. Someone like Trump, Weinstein and Cosby all dress nice and modest. Seems that means jack all to their morals.

whirlingmerc

There are a lot of Indians in my area. The saree is entirely modest yet very very colorful and attractive to the eye.

Compliments women very nicely I think, and they look incredibly comfortable to wear.

It's an excellent mix of sexuality and modesty in Perfect Harmony and people won't have to cover up their kids eyes either.

I think women in high school and college should be more considerate of the guys and not so distracting in a classroom

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you're still with me, I apologize, but recognizing that people act out, stick in the mud or become so different from the herd of the humanity, doesn't really mean that mankind has lost modesty, it just means we're getting old :D
Because you're only 2 years older than me, and I still do the goth thing, larp thing, and have no idea how to "act my age," you lost me at the "getting old" part.

Ellen Brown

I have been in 107 Degrees F, wearing Abaya and Hijab and was comfortable.

DanishCrow

Seeking Feeds
Because you're only 2 years older than me, and I still do the goth thing, larp thing, and have no idea how to "act my age," you lost me at the "getting old" part.

I jest, I jest :) Never lost my edge. I was trying to explain to OP that there isn't more hedonism around in this age, just that they forgot what it's like to be young.