• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Modesty Dead in America?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I like a bit of hedonism. What bothers me more often are those who seem to be anti-sex and ashamed of their bodies.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see the annoying conservative christian ideals about the human body and sex finally going away.
You must be young -- or not American.
I see the annoying conservative Christian ideals increasing, in most respects.

DanishCrow

Seeking Feeds
I'm assuming you mean the second definition of "propriety in dress, speech, or conduct", in which case, go **** yourself.

If you're still with me, I apologize, but recognizing that people act out, stick in the mud or become so different from the herd of the humanity, doesn't really mean that mankind has lost modesty, it just means we're getting old :D

In my younger days, I was a punk rocker, a skinhead, a gothic nihilist and a new waver. I was the most flamboyant, terrifyingly beautiful thing you ever saw, and I didn't care if you were looking. Such is the exuberance of youth, I suppose. So too, are kids today probably messed up and think they know more than they do, but honestly, this is the way of the world.

As Revoltingest says, we listen first to those who shout the loudest - it doesn't mean that modesty doesn't exist, just that the public noise has gotten louder, and we fall in the trap of thinking that this age is somehow more decadent than the ones before, when really it's business as usual.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Just wondering if anyone sees the hedonistic uncouthness that I do?
I think people should be free to be as modest as they choose to be. The reality is that in some places it is not practical or sane to express your freedom too much.

I don't think we pay much attention to what you would may consider to be hedonistic uncouthness. Keeping in mind, I don't have a lot of information to interpret your view very well.

So far, we have not imploded because a nipple got out on national television.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is religion the only feasible brake on anarchy, then?

Or somebody with a really big gun willing to enforce a system of laws.

How much has religion influenced our system of laws in the past? Without religion as a moral standard I've always thought it has to be replaced by something. I think for the most part we are running off of Christian morality though we continue to attack parts of it moral ideology.

Just curious what we are going to be left with or, what will eventually take the place of religious morality.

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Hedonistic uncouthness." Hmmm. . . I assume you feel people should be more modest than you judge them to be, which is fine. Judge them however you wish. AND that they delight in this "immodesty," which you seem to take exception to. I also assume you feel they should be ashamed of this immodesty, or at least feel sheepish about it. Fine, judge them however you wish. However, I don't believe modesty is dead in America, and I doubt many would disagree with me. But, as has been brought up here, you're going to have to divulge your standards before anyone is going to be able to agree with you.

So, just what are your standards. What qualifies as hedonistic uncouthness?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Just wondering if anyone sees the hedonistic uncouthness that I do?

Never bothers me, but then again I think it's OK if people want to walk around in their birthday suits. Not because I intend to gawk, but rather it's infantile and mentally backwards to be shamed by the human body. Are we offended that other animals do not wear clothes? Yeah, that's about where I find it silly. I guess in a way it's just that I believe in absolute freedom in this regard, in contrast to people whom live in a mind state that I would largely call "Christian by proxy".

I guess that isn't too practical though given that many diseases spread through fecal-oral route and sitting bare arsed on things is contagious. So guess at least if you're gonna be skinned out bring a towel. :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So, just what are your standards. What qualifies as hedonistic uncouthness?

Uncouth I can get. Hedonistic clothing can be anything that advertises hedonism including relatively modest clothing worn in a way that advertises one's interest in hedonism.

When those two are put together as they've been in this thread, it does not say anything clear to me.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think trends go back and forth century to century. We are in a period that is trying to reject hypocrisy and associates it with too much propriety, which may not be wrong. Its easy to get carried away with social respect and still be very cold in heart. All it takes is just looking the other way when people have problems and not admitting one's own. Then society gets to be very artificial, and people expect to live in a way that no one can. So then people run the other way, and they reject the primness and the promise of social standing. Then...I don't know what happens but some other generation goes back to being conservative probably as a result of other excesses. Its back and forth for some reason.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Uncouth I can get. Hedonistic clothing can be anything that advertises hedonism including relatively modest clothing worn in a way that advertises one's interest in hedonism.

When those two are put together as they've been in this thread, it does not say anything clear to me.
We all await Ellen Brown's clarification.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The current culture has been created through the use of mass media.
We have been led to believe that happiness comes from what we have rather than who we are.
And sometimes that is where it comes from. It all depends on the person.